Marathon Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Any marathon runners this weekend?

Any new marathons entered?

How's the training going?

(After today's miserable footie score we need a change of topic)

18 miles today....60 mins easy, 60 mins at target marathon pace (even though I'm not training for one) and 30 mins easy. Harder run tomorrow.....back to back misery !

With the Brighton 1/2 marathon today, what does a boy from Brighton do. Drive to Margate with a couple of mates to run the one off Relativity Marathon! Boy was it hard, all concrete, 4 out & back laps along the prom, 27.2 mile event & a freezing easterly at 25 mph that went through your bones. Still, the medal was fab. 6 inches wide, great company & a fab goodie bag. Small field but I finished in 7th, which I was very happy with. Bit of a rest now. No marathons till Brighton for me, then Madrid a week later, for hopefully some warmth, but not too hot hopefully during the marathon. Keep training, injury free & enjoy your running peeps.

Marathon & Ultra standings

Dazzer6666: 43 - Steyning Stinger, March 2016
Bob!: - Steyning Stinger, March 2016
Pembury: 12 - Steyning Stinger March 2016
Steve Foster: 92 - Brighton April 2016
Bad Ash: 1 - Brighton April 2016
Steve Foster: 92 - Brighton April 2016
Beardy Gull: 8 - Brighton April 2016
Ben Elton's Brother: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Bermondseygull: 2 - Brighton April 2016
big nuts: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Cecil: 1 - Brighton April 2016
Greg Bobkin: 4 - Brighton April 2016
Guinness Boy: 0 - Brighton April 2016
JoePrecious: 0 - Brighton April 2016
knocky1: 3 - Brighton April 2016
MORTY: 3 - Brighton April 2016
D'Angelo Saxon: 0 - Brighton April 2016
Ninja Elephant: 3 - Brighton April 2016
Tommy Tradlles: 15 - Brighton April 2016
deletebeepbeep: 0 - Brighton April 2016
Penny's harmonica: 0 - Brighton April 2016
Jimmy gull: 0 - Brighton April 2016
PWA: 3 - London - April 2016
Mr Blobby: 3 Reykjavik August 2016
Herr Tubthumper: 4 - Chicago Oct 2016

Having a sabbatical ........ for now?

Y Ddraig Goch: 4 After Snowdonia Oct 2015
BrianWade4: 7
Driver8: 4
Richy_Seagull: 4
blockseagull: 4
Bedsex: 3
Mr Blobby: 3
TotallyFreaked: 3
Gary Nelson's teacher: 2
edna krabappel: 2
Weezie: 2
Mellor 3 Ward 4: 1
MrShaun15: 1
Oldham gull: 1
Rodney Thomas: 1
Wondergull 1

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
#44 Steyning Stinger marathon for me this morning. Bright and breezy, cold wind on the ridge but not quite as muddy as I was expecting, apart from the woods near the start and the odd stretch here and there. Made a schoolboy error in forgetting my S!Caps, so spent the whole race worried about when the cramp would start but apart from a little but at 24m when I stumbled, it never did. Managed to hang on much better today and finished in 4.20, 30 mins quicker than last year. Felt pretty strong at the end too. Stuck with gels today, plus a couple of aid station biscuits, and seemed to work.

Brilliantly organised, very friendly event by Steyning AC as usual - so obvious the race is set up by people who care about running. Breakfast at the end hit the spot as well.

https://www.strava.com/activities/510033411

#44 Steyning Stinger marathon for me this morning. Bright and breezy, cold wind on the ridge but not quite as muddy as I was expecting, apart from the woods near the start and the odd stretch here and there. Made a schoolboy error in forgetting my S!Caps, so spent the whole race worried about when the cramp would start but apart from a little but at 24m when I stumbled, it never did. Managed to hang on much better today and finished in 4.20, 30 mins quicker than last year. Felt pretty strong at the end too. Stuck with gels today, plus a couple of aid station biscuits, and seemed to work.

Brilliantly organised, very friendly event by Steyning AC as usual - so obvious the race is set up by people who care about running. Breakfast at the end hit the spot as well.

Well done Dazza. Great time for what I believe is the hardest marathon in Sussex. Enjoy the rest. 'Just' an 18 miler for me along the prom today. Was great to run along the front in the sun, without hills & mud (for one day only). Onto Brighton everyone!

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003

5 hours 17 for me, a Course best by a mere 13 minutes, Tailwind was my drug of choice (along with the Digestives on offer) all worked well
SDW 50 next Marathon (or longer) - April 9th

Last edited:

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Well done Dazza. Great time for what I believe is the hardest marathon in Sussex. Enjoy the rest. 'Just' an 18 miler for me along the prom today. Was great to run along the front in the sun, without hills & mud (for one day only). Onto Brighton everyone!

Thanks [emoji3]
Not Brighton next though....Moyleman next week. Harder than the Stinger [emoji849]

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
How can you do two in 8 days? ****.
Which shall I enter next year Stinger or Moyleman?

They are just training runs......would be doing that kind of mileage anyway so might as well get a medal or breakfast out of it

Both, obviously, but if not I'd do the Stinger - all round better experience.

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly

I I believe i saw you coming down from Steep Down looking really strong.. a determined look in your eye! really great running.

jimmygull

Mar 22, 2012
Hi All,

Thought I'd ask for a quick bit of advice from you seasoned runners! I've been running for the last 20 odd years, but only really ticking over most of the time with 3-4 milers during the week and not exactly pushing myself. I have done 3 marathons before, best time 4:04 last one 6 years ago, best 10k 40 mins and best 5k 19 mins (but that was a long time ago!).

Anyway started training late, but doing Brighton and London a week later for a charity close to my heart. Did a 19 miler on Saturday, first 15 at a steady pace of 9:20, then started to die on my ars especially the last couple into the wind which ended up being 10:20's. My goal was to try and do a sub 4 marathon, but after Saturday not sure that is doable as I know i need to do 9 min miles! My plan for the next few weeks was to do 2x fast runs during the week 10k (did 10k in 50 mins last week) and 10 miler ish then x3 long runs of 22 miles each weekend trying to get the pace up each time. Then to keep up the quick short runs and taking it easy in the last week. How do these tactics sound, any advice welcome.

Cheers all and good luck all those that are running Brighton.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I I believe i saw you coming down from Steep Down looking really strong.. a determined look in your eye! really great running.
Sorry, must have missed you.....I started 40mins early so if you were in the main start I guess that would be about right....would have been going through my typical 'last 6m' struggle at that point!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Did the same last year, wasn't as bad as I expected although blew up around Hove Lagoon......

Better than doing it the other way around.

Just the Brighton/London double for me. Two in eight days - what could possibly go wrong? :lol:

Pembury

Jan 12, 2015
South Wales Caerphilly
Sorry, must have missed you.....I started 40mins early so if you were in the main start I guess that would be about right....would have been going through my typical 'last 6m' struggle at that point!

I went off at about 8.20.... Didn't really want to leave that warm hall!

Yeah i was entering that struggling, legs like lead feeling when runners came past me from Steep down.. that was hard. Its certainly the toughest course ive run and it felt like more ups than downs.. 3 forts is a breeze compared to that. Good run though and nice to get a long run done. Though i was suffering from a sore throat which meant that any scaps i tried to swallow, didn't actually go down. Oh yes and definatly Mudclaws next year!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I went off at about 8.20.... Didn't really want to leave that warm hall!

Yeah i was entering that struggling, legs like lead feeling when runners came past me from Steep down.. that was hard. Its certainly the toughest course ive run and it felt like more ups than downs.. 3 forts is a breeze compared to that. Good run though and nice to get a long run done. Though i was suffering from a sore throat which meant that any scaps i tried to swallow, didn't actually go down. Oh yes and definatly Mudclaws next year!
I just got some terraclaws - really impressed with them. Very light too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here