Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man U v Sunderland - Gus on HIS way to Wembley

Aug 23, 2011
I don't get the feeling on here that seems to be you either love of hate Gus. I'm happy for him and thank him for his time here but would we be 'top of the league' this season with him in charge? Don't be ridiculous.

Exactly. People say he f***ed us up but we're in a similar position to last year with a similar squad but more teams around us spending a lot of cash. We may have been a few points better off due to a slight transitional period however we wouldn't be in the top 2 probably

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
A little bit premature don't you think?

His track record so far is pretty blood good, to be fair. Constantly overachieving compared to budget while playing football that is very easy on the eye. He'll go on to big big things.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
What a fantastic game that was. Not for excitement or skill, but just for drama. It was two hours of top-quality entertainment.

It is clear what a huge effect Gus has had on Sunderland. They kept the ball better than Man United throughout the match, even in the first half which United perhaps shaded. After half-time it was Sunderland all the way. An absolutely dominant performance and further evidence that United are nothing more than a mid-table side, especially without RVP and Rooney. Sunderland looked really neat in possession and, although they didn't have many attempts at goal, I always felt they could score.

You only have to look at the penalty takers for United to see how much trouble they're in. Jones and Rafael are poor players, and despite being a striker, Welbeck has a reckless technique that means I wouldn't back him to score from four yards, let alone twelve. What a terrible team they have become, all because they've lost the man who held them together. Moyes is a dead man walking, as this was their only hope of even minor success this season (although they almost certainly would have lost the final anyway). Now they've been dumped out of both cups in home matches against the powerhouses of Swansea and Sunderland, will get embarrassed in Europe as soon as they play a decent side and are on track to finish about sixth in the league. No wonder the great SAF doesn't look happy.

I'm not pleased for Gus, he's still a greasy, egotistical self-publicist, but I'm pleased for Sunderland. They more than deserved it.

This is why I'd wish you'd post more frequently. Your analysis of football in general (and Albion in particular) is always a top quality read. To be honest, the above wouldn't look out of place in a quality paper, although they'd most most likely omit the reference to Poyet in the final sentence.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
All the English players missed penalties.....great news for a World Cup year in which we will probably have a penalty shootout !!

Bet Jason Puncheon is pretty relieved now as well !!

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I loathe man utd, so am pleased they lost, but it's extra sweet that the first leg was advertised with a quote from David Moyes along the lines of "We're man utd, we win trophies, it's what we do". Ha!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It's wonderful that Manure have huffed and puffed their way through two legs and extra time AND penalties and lost to a poor team like Sunderland...... just going to have a look on Red Cafe to see how pleased the prawn sandwich brigade are.

Aug 23, 2011
All the English players missed penalties.....great news for a World Cup year in which we will probably have a penalty shootout !!

Bet Jason Puncheon is pretty relieved now as well !!

Someone asked me before the pens who would win and I said the one with less English players taking them, why are we so crap at them?

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
A few points, based on whats been discussed

1. I don't believe, like some, that we would be top of league if Poyet was still here, not with our injuries, especially with Poyet's no 1 favourite Bridcutt out for half the season.

2. That was the worst penalty shoot out ever

3. It's OK to be happy for Gus, but also happy that he's not here and that our future is Oscar.

4. That really was the worst penalty shoot out ever

5. Face it, they're going to get tonked by City.

6. That truly was the worst penalty shoot out ever

7. United look ****ed

8. Have I mentioned, that absolutely was the worst penalty shoot out ever.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
I don't get the feeling on here that seems to be you either love of hate Gus. I'm happy for him and thank him for his time here but would we be 'top of the league' this season with him in charge? Don't be ridiculous.

Unquestionably. (by 'unquestionably' I mean maybe or maybe not. What do you mean by 'ridiculous'?)

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Exactly. People say he f***ed us up but we're in a similar position to last year with a similar squad but more teams around us spending a lot of cash. We may have been a few points better off due to a slight transitional period however we wouldn't be in the top 2 probably

The injuries are the factor that have made the top 2 almost unattainable so far in my opinion. Lets face it our squad was pretty much fully fit last year and we were never in and around the top 2 apart from very early on.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Good result for Gus and most of the country will be happy that Man United have chalked up another loss.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here