Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Man U Disrespecting The FA Cup

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Lets be honest the cup has been falling apart for years. So far down the list of priorities for clubs, such a shame

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Fair enough they are still chasing 3 trophies, but to play a massively under-strength team is disrespectful.

I hate the way some managers, notably Harry Redknapp :tosser: show complete contempt for the greatest cup competition in the world.

Keeping The Dream Alive.

Naming Rights
May 28, 2008
WSU
Lets be honest. It's not the greatest cup competition in the world anymore is it. Teams would rather finish 7th in the Prem than win the FA Cup and come 15th.

HP Seagull

Danny Cullip: Hero
Sep 26, 2008
Lets be honest. It's not the greatest cup competition in the world anymore is it. Teams would rather finish 7th in the Prem than win the FA Cup and come 15th.

That's because clubs would rather have more money than the glory of winning the FA Cup.

It still is the greatest cup in the world. No other has the same history and drama. Especially in the earlier rounds.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Man Utd destroyed the FA cup when they opted out a number of years back. The FA cup is one of the oldest and most comprehensive sporting competitions in the world and it would be great shame if more teams approached it like Manure.

sam86

Feb 18, 2009
Wouldn't exactly say it's "massively under-strength". It's mostly second string agreed.

But if Brighton were top of the league, with the team behind getting closer and closer, with only a few games to go. As well as still in the FA Cup or Carling Cup (as close an equivilant to the Champions League for Man U as I can get). And still in the Johnstone Paint Trophy, I'd probably want them to put out a slightly second-string team in the Paint Trophy semi-final :thumbsup:

One can only hope we'll be in that situation at some point!

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Think that this thread might come back to haunt you. Having said that, wished I'd waited till the teams were announced, as I'd have got better odds on my bet on United by more than 2.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston
Its still a great competition at the Championship level and the leagues below that;but it did start to lose alot of its glamour when man Utd pulled out one year to play in Brazil.
Since then the bigger Premiership clubs seem to have a habit of fielding weakened teams and not giving the respect the competition deserves.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
Man Utd destroyed the FA cup when they opted out a number of years back. The FA cup is one of the oldest and most comprehensive sporting competitions in the world and it would be great shame if more teams approached it like Manure.

As much as I dislike Manure & their general 'We're larger that the game' type codshit, I recall the sodding FA were highly instrumental in getting them to play in The World Club Nonsense - due to a pending World Cup bid. Still doesn't explain why Utd decided to f*** the FA Cup off though: they presumably could've given the FA 2-fingers...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate

Never really buy this argument. For a start, it was the FA who wanted United to pull out to boost the reputation of England for the benefit of the World Cup bid.

I think the old Wembley closing killed the cup.

New Wembley just isn't the same, and semi-finals there? Rubbish.

Nicaraguanseagull

Apr 18, 2009
and fielding a second string team. Arrogant wankers:tosser:. Come on EVERTON, let "The Fro" soccer those Manchester Dins.

Lets hope for another ill timed ITV commercial brake

A little hypocritical after fergie's comments on Benitez, claiming that he underrated Everton by calling them a "small club".
Come on Everton!!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
As neutrals it's annoying, but you can see it from Man Utd's perspective. They have a league game on wednesday night which is important to them, they travelled to and from Porto last week and if you look at their team you're still seeing internationals all over the place, Gibson is a full international for example, which you wouldn't expect.

It sort of evens the playing field aswell, it's making for a good match.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I've seen better games at Withdean.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here