Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Making a Murderer documentary

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I bought tickets t'other day to go see some French film at the flicks tonight for me and the lassfriend. We don't go, in the end, for last night we get through half of Making a Murderer and have to finish it tonight. 3 episodes to go. Utterly gripping.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Shocking, it made me so angry and terrified of getting locked up in the states. If that's justice in America God help them all. The family of the girl will never know the truth.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Interesting documentary series. I'm not sure if Avery is innocent or guilty but if you read up on the case this series does exclude a lot of key evidence the prosecution used, this is a classic crime documentary or conspiracy programme trick in order to create a false sense of 'conspiracy' or injustice to make a series more interesting.

That being said I do think there are certain aspects of this that are highly suspicious and I'm not sure what I think

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
This story is going to get massive. It's already huge in the states and is growing here fast. I urge people to watch the documentary before you find out 2nd hand what happened as it'll be all over our press/tv/radio/social media very very soon. This could be as big as breaking bad for Netflix.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
On episode 8 now. Planning to finish off tonight, Half of me watches the episodes in disbelief at what is happening, the other half thinks it can't be a documentary it must be fiction. Is it worth starting a new thread for people who have seen the show, so it can include spoilers?

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
I have only watched the first episode, crazy but not that surprising- I have been told it gets worse for him though.

If anyone enjoys this detective style stuff, can I recommend 'Her Story' it is a game on IoS where you play the part of a detective and have to look back through FMV interview footage to work out whodunit. Its light on gameplay as you are literally just searching and watching videos off a database, interesting though in kinda the same way making a murder is.

KingstonSeagull

May 1, 2013
Shoreditch
Making A Murderer

Has anyone else watched this Netflix ten part documentary or been following the story of Steven Avery and Brendan Dassey?

I can't get it out of my head that this man is clearly innocent! Do you think the documentary was perhaps biased and showed leaned heavily on the innocent side or is it just that middle America is so backwards that this farsical case went through?

Discuss

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Had an idea about spoilers:

SPOILER (highlight the white space)
Write some text in the white space, change the font colour to white. BOOM! SPOILER!
SPOILER

Excellent idea - let's try it:

SPOILER

My take, fwiw:

Chances that the police were pissed off at the civil litigation brought by Steve - 100%
Chances that they planted evidence, and thus Steve did not get a fair trial - 90%
Chances that Steve is actually innocent - 50/50 at best, probably a little under
Chances that Steve will get a retrial as a result of the documentary - 80%
Chances that Steve will eventually be acquitted - 20%

Chances that Brendan is in any way involved, other than being part of a dodgy family who possibly talked about who did what to whom - 1%. He should never have been found guilty.

END SPOILER

fwiw, obviously.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
SPOILER

I can't see any way how Steve is guilty. I think it is clear that the police planted evidence. The trailer searched for days and the Lenk turns up and finds the key in plain sight, which does not have Terassa's DNA on it..? Come on. Bones found in a separate location? Avery's blood sample from the 1985 case clearly opened and sample taken. No blood or DNA belonging to Terassa found anywhere except on a bullet, that again, was not found at the initial inspection. I see he now has a new lawyer with an excellent post conviction record, hopefully she can get him out.

As for Dassey, shocking. Poor kid did not have a clue what was happening.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Interesting documentary series. I'm not sure if Avery is innocent or guilty but if you read up on the case this series does exclude a lot of key evidence the prosecution used, this is a classic crime documentary or conspiracy programme trick in order to create a false sense of 'conspiracy' or injustice to make a series more interesting.

That being said I do think there are certain aspects of this that are highly suspicious and I'm not sure what I think

Avery's lawyer was on BBC's Today programme a week or so ago and had this allegation levelled at him. He explicitly denied that evidence was excluded from the series.

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
SPOILER

There's so many questions the prosecution couldn't seem to come up with answers for / seemed to be completely ignored by the jury:

Colburn flat out lying about him being told the make and model of the car etc.
Why wasn't the room-mate investigated? The room-mate who didn't report her missing for four days.
Where was the DNA evidence of her having been tied up and brutally murdered? Not a drop of blood anywhere in the trailer.

The whole thing is just baffling and the fact that kid is now in jail until 2050 something is an utter travesty. There's no way he was involved in any of it.

END SPOILER

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
I've got one more episode to watch so I've seen the verdicts. Wow. Just Wow. What a brilliant series.

POS SPOILER........

Just watching in the courtroom, you can tell he knows he's done for. He's totally given up and just looks resigned to his fate all the way through.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
SPOILER

So many discrepancies which crept up

The police officer [not Lenk] who called in the Rav 4 hours before it was discovered then lied about it, saying the dispatch officer told him about the car. – I believe same officer who was told in 1995[ish] that Avery was innocent of rape, when the other man confessed. The officer only raised this in 2002[ish] when he was released.
My opinion, The car keys were deliberately planted as was the bullet.
The bedroom of his trailer where she was allegedly ‘’raped, had her throat slit’’ did not have a drop of blood or her DNA on it. How could this be possible – it couldn’t.
The garage which the police said was cleaned thoroughly had no trace of her blood and a fair amount of general DNA etc which would have been lost had the area been bleached.
If he did kill her, why would Avery not crush the car in the machine. The car was ‘’hidden’’ just feet away and conveniently found by a relative who was specifically told to search there by people not allowed on the property.

In my opinion the police set him up for the murder of Teresa. How the jury came to a guilty verdict when there were so many holes in the story I have no idea.

As for Brendan, feel very sorry for him. I don’t think he had any part to play, however if he was guilty or innocent he should have had someone to represent him properly. His defence attorney was incompetent at best, trying to extract a confession. As for his analyst/interrogator who calls Ken Kratz –its mind blowing.

I have no idea what the next steps are, however if he is released from prison and pardoned again then I would expect he would get far in excess of the $36MM he initially sued for.

END SPOILER

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
It is a great documentary but it's incredibly biased towards the defence. I have little doubt that Avery is guilty.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here