Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Yet another example of the BBC providing an uncritical platform for Professor Neil Ferguson.

It's a bloody disgrace IMO that any broadcaster or newspaper gives this Fud a hustings.

You mean the guy whose models showed that without lockdown when the pandemic first hit showed that many hundreds of thousands would die and the NHS would be overwhelmed and whose data ultimately forced the government to do the right thing and lockdown?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not every one needs to vaccinate. In fact it is crucial that a fair amount of people don't.

I'm at no risk of going to hospital through covid so I don't think it is selfish to refuse the vaccine.

I am confused by why it would be crucial for some people not to vaccinate.

And you say you have no risk. Nope. You have a small risk. That's not the same.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
You mean the guy whose models showed that without lockdown when the pandemic first hit showed that many hundreds of thousands would die and the NHS would be overwhelmed and whose data ultimately forced the government to do the right thing and lockdown?

Yes that's the one, the one who then. Promptly ignored those lockdown rules he was so keen on

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I'm self testing twice a week, so doing my bit.

Not every one needs to vaccinate. In fact it is crucial that a fair amount of people don't.

I'm at no risk of going to hospital through covid so I don't think it is selfish to refuse the vaccine. It is a personal choice based on what I believe is best for me, that doesn't result in greater risk to anyone else.

So letting everyone else inconvenience themselves by having the Vaccine and creating Herd Immunity which you will benefit from but contribute nothing too isn't being self centred?

it is your personal choice to have a vaccine or not but if you don't you are an extraordinarily selfish human being who places not having to personally lift a finger over the health of your friends, family and community.

We see you.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It is crucial for some people not to take the vaccine for the purposes of epidemiology. If everyone took the vaccine it would create an absence of absolutely crucial data. They're not going to publicise this fact for obvious reasons though.

thats utter bollocks.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
So letting everyone else inconvenience themselves by having the Vaccine and creating Herd Immunity which you will benefit from but contribute nothing too isn't being self centred?

it is your personal choice to have a vaccine or not but if you don't you are an extraordinarily selfish human being who places not having to personally lift a finger over the health of your friends, family and community.

We see you.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately I think there's a sizable minority of a similar view. Yet they expect help and support if and when needed, regardless of the risk they pose to others

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Rejecting the vaccine is not selfish. It will not affect anyone else's health in the slightest.

So you get it, are asymptomatic and wander around transmitting it. Your bi weekly self administered lateral flow test will likely pick it up ... but after passing on to how many I wonder? No, that won't affect anyone in the slightest

"I would prefer my immune system to tackle it naturally rather than have a synthetic replication of it that I don't need injected into my body every year"

So it isn't in the pursuit of good research after all ... just that you don't want to have the 'synthetic replication'. Maybe they've chipped it as well and would know your every movement

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Not everyone else will, or should, have the vaccine... and it's important that not everyone does.

I am doing my bit by self testing twice a week, which is far more of an inconvenience than taking the vaccine but considerably more effective. I trust you are regularly self testing too up there on your high horse?

Rejecting the vaccine is not selfish. It will not affect anyone else's health in the slightest. But covid is never going to go away. I would prefer my immune system to tackle it naturally rather than have a synthetic replication of it that I don't need injected into my body every year... and that's fair enough, surely?

Stop trying to justify it through altruism. If you do catch it, and (God forbid) end up in ITU, I assume you would also ‘prefer’ the cash-strapped and overworked NHS to provide and fund your incredibly expensive treatment as well, and the same for anyone you might pass it on to whilst transmitting ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
It is crucial for some people not to take the vaccine for the purposes of epidemiology. If everyone took the vaccine it would create an absence of absolutely crucial data. They're not going to publicise this fact for obvious reasons though.

I am sure there will be enough refusers and those who are immuno compromised for your sacrifice to be unnecessary! :fishing:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
People who are vaccinated are still able to transmit covid and are more likely to be asymptomatic - so your point is invalid here.

Again, as you're so high up on your high horse, I trust you are doing your bit by regularly self testing.

I have opted in to NHS research following my randomly selected test earlier in the year.

I don't want the vaccine in my body. I regularly test and will comply fully with any self isolation required of me. I would argue I am doing considerably more than those who do get vaccinated and don't self test at all.

There is far less likelihood of passing the virus on if one is vaccinated. There is a lot of data to back that up. Your way, not so much....

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
I won't end up in ITU. If there were any risk of that, or any kind of hospital visit, then obviously I would take the vaccine in the same way I take other vaccines for things that genuinely threaten my health.

That's rubbish though. You could be the fittest person on the planet and still have a chance of ending up in hospital or ICU. To say you have no risk at all simply isn't correct.

Last edited:

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
I won't end up in ITU. If there were any risk of that, or any kind of hospital visit, then obviously I would take the vaccine in the same way I take other vaccines for things that genuinely threaten my health.

This is absolutely disgraceful. People like you are what is wrong with this country. Young and healthy people do die from this disease, you know? Elite athletes and several PL footballers have suffered months of long covid, but you'll be fine? You should forfeit any right to use the NHS and take a long hard look at yourself. What a disgrace

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
This is absolutely disgraceful. People like you are what is wrong with this country. Young and healthy people do die from this disease, you know? Elite athletes and several PL footballers have suffered months of long covid, but you'll be fine? You should forfeit any right to use the NHS and take a long hard look at yourself. What a disgrace
That's a pretty unwarranted and unkind post. He may have valid fears about the vaccine. There again he has a right to choose. I object to him framing it as an altruistic act but the decision is his to make.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Bizarre. Very strong words against me, a key worker who has been incredibly responsible and continues to be, during this pandemic.

How frequently do you do your lateral flow test a week? If you don't do it, which I'm sure you do given this bizarre self righteous raging response, then you would be an absolute hypocrite.

I'm sorry, but it has been an established fact even since the very beginning of this pandemic, that statistically it is not a threat to young, healthy people. Either way, if I haven't had covid already (which I suspect I have) I will get it eventually - and if we are still living in what we regard to be a pandemic, then I will know about it and self isolate as instructed. Covid ain't going away.

Less of a threat, not ‘not’ a threat (fact).....and unvaccinated you are much more likely to pass it on (fact) maybe to someone who isn’t a glowing picture of youth, health and invincibility such as yourself, even if you don’t know you have it (your bi-weekly lateral flow tests being unreliable - fact)

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
People who are vaccinated are still able to transmit covid and are more likely to be asymptomatic - so your point is invalid here.

Again, as you're so high up on your high horse, I trust you are doing your bit by regularly self testing.

I have opted in to NHS research following my randomly selected test earlier in the year.

I don't want the vaccine in my body. I regularly test and will comply fully with any self isolation required of me. I would argue I am doing considerably more than those who do get vaccinated and don't self test at all.

Jeez ... the entire medical world is literally pleading for everyone to get vaccinated just as quickly as they can and you have the afront to tell me I'm on my high horse? Couldn't make it up

Sussexscots

3, 3, 3, 3, 3, 3 3, 3, 3, 3 ,3 ,3 3 coach chuggers

No. I mean the guy who's predictions are historically inaccurate and who lost any moral authority to preach about lockdowns when he decided they didn't apply to him when he wanted to nip out to shag his Mistress.

He might be a hero to lockdown fanatics such as yourself. Personally I don't think it's acceptable that the national broadcaster which we are obliged to fund on pain of criminal penalty allows his Gloom mongering without any comment on his previous model inaccuracies or his bankrupt morality.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Jeez ... the entire medical world is literally pleading for everyone to get vaccinated just as quickly as they can and you have the afront to tell me I'm on my high horse? Couldn't make it up

No...no....you misunderstand....he’s doing everyone a favour by not getting vaccinated

:ffsparr::facepalm::shootself

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
No. I mean the guy who's predictions are historically inaccurate and who lost any moral authority to preach about lockdowns when he decided they didn't apply to him when he wanted to nip out to shag his Mistress.

He might be a hero to lockdown fanatics such as yourself. Personally I don't think it's acceptable that the national broadcaster which we are obliged to fund on pain of criminal penalty allows his Gloom mongering without any comment on his previous model inaccuracies or his bankrupt morality.

Sky just had an interview with 3 people

All of which saying we should either go back a step or delay for months.

This is ridiculous now, no balance at all - no one pointing out the flaws to the modelling or the exit wave that was always going to happen etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't twist my words please.

I don't want to get vaccinated. There is a risk involved, perhaps even greater than the risk of me getting covid itself. I don't need it, don't want it and have a firm believe that natural immunisation is better than that of a vaccine.

As a result of my decision, I have opted in to NHS research and I carry out a lateral flow test twice a week... which is better to reduce any possible transmission of the virus than a vaccination without any subsequent testing.

Not twisting at all - that was the argument you were using to justify your stance. Go back and read what you posted.

Lateral flow tests have a fairly poor rate of accuracy - less effective than the efficacy of the vaccine if I understand the current data correctly, so it’s not ‘better’.

I have no problem with anyone refusing the vacc....but don’t try to hide behind bullshit reasons for doing so. You should and could have posted your first sentence above in the first place and left it at that

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports