Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
My partner is a lecturer there (Northumbria btw, not Northumberland).

Thankfully he's working and teaching exclusively from home for health reasons until at least Christmas, but the attitude of the university toward staff and student wellbeing has been appalling - a total and utter failure of leadership on the part of those at the top.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
All true.
However it would be nice to know where the efficacy bar has been set. For flu vac efficacy is around 50% ("21 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses. Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09")

However, the FDA and WHO set the effectiveness bar at only 30%

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31821-3/fulltext

"WHO recommends that successful vaccines should show an estimated risk reduction of at least one-half, with sufficient precision to conclude that the true vaccine efficacy is greater than 30%. This means that the 95% CI for the trial result should exclude efficacy less than 30%. Current US Food and Drug Administration guidance includes this lower limit of 30% as a criterion for vaccine licensure"

Call me innumerate but this suggests that the Covid Vac that get approved first (and will corner the market) could end up being not all that super.

My understanding is they will accept 50% efficacy and above. However, that doesn’t mean one of these front runners won’t be rather more....efficacious (that’s the best word I’ve ever successfully used).

Also, even a 50% effective vaccine would make a humongous difference to the spread, when you add on existing immunity and (even if it’s low percentage) people who have existing T-Cells etc.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
My understanding is they will accept 50% efficacy and above. However, that doesn’t mean one of these front runners won’t be rather more....efficacious (that’s the best word I’ve ever successfully used).

Also, even a 50% effective vaccine would make a humongous difference to the spread, when you add on existing immunity and (even if it’s low percentage) people who have existing T-Cells etc.

Fair enough.

Fingers crossed :thumbsup:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If however your underlying point is that this is all gonna take a longer than a lot of people hope to get back to “full normal” I’d probably agree, reluctantly.

It was.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It strikes me that the two major issues which have driven up the cases and the shortages of testing etc. have been the return of kids to school and the return of students to university. Both completely planned events with set dates that any credible setup could have seen coming months before they did and planned accordingly. It's frankly outrageous that these things have caused so much trouble.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
It strikes me that the two major issues which have driven up the cases and the shortages of testing etc. have been the return of kids to school and the return of students to university. Both completely planned events with set dates that any credible setup could have seen coming months before they did and planned accordingly. It's frankly outrageous that these things have caused so much trouble.

And pubs.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

But it’s a great way to kick off herd immunity ..... it’s al,OST if it was planned to happen.

Daughter in isolation as a couple have tested positive in her flat. Son has only been back a week so cases won’t go mad for another week.
Through work I know someone who works at a uni and is involved with accommodation etc and apparently the guidance from government is ‘****ing useless’. They have basically hung the uni’s and students out to dry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
But it’s a great way to kick off herd immunity ..... it’s al,OST if it was planned to happen.

Daughter in isolation as a couple have tested positive in her flat. Son has only been back a week so cases won’t go mad for another week.
Through work I know someone who works at a uni and is involved with accommodation etc and apparently the guidance from government is ‘****ing useless’. They have basically hung the uni’s and students out to dry.

why does a university, with all the mental ability at their disposal, need guidance? one thing seen in this event is many organisations supposedly having contingency plans, have nothing and rely on government departments to tell them everything.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
why does a university, with all the mental ability at their disposal, need guidance? one thing seen in this event is many organisations supposedly having contingency plans, have nothing and rely on government departments to tell them everything.

Because any process they put in place will be at the guidance of government. There is no point it putting in processes if they are going to be overridden at a later date. This is exactly the time for government to step up to the mark. They’ve bottled it and shifted both students and unis. Not difficult.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
'How universities tricked students into returning to campus - Students were promised face-to-face teaching, but as soon as their fees and rents were secured, institutions turned their backs on them'

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/oct/02/universities-students-campus-teaching-fees

Tbf Tom my son is one of the above, he started a four year business management degree last week, he’s fairly pragmatic about it, his words, a few months out of four years is no great shakes and in four years the world will be a better place for him to re enter the job market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Small things for most but a circus due in Preston park this week have just been told they can't go ahead leaving 70 unemployed. A covid secure event with all the measures in place and all of a sudden I'm losing hope

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
I imagine Bond being delayed yet again was the final nail in the coffin

They think it was although I wonder if consumer confidence has largely gone. Tenet is currently the only game in town and even taking socially distanced seating into account isn’t playing to anything like full houses. Would Bond have done any better, I wonder?

I can see Odeon going the same way, too. It really wouldn’t surprise me if the Duke of York was the only cinema in Brighton by next Spring, although there’s a chance a company like Amazon will swoop in and snap up the Odeon or Cineworld or maybe even both.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here