Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This tops all previous celeb and politician flouting of rules. Ferrier knowingly committed a crime in travelling 400 miles with the virus, on a passenger train, at the same time lying to the SNP Chief Whip. A hypocrite, the BBC showed her giving her two pennies worth when Cummings broke Lockdown rules.

8375B3FE-C81B-4601-B088-A42A86DFFBD5.png

Holding onto to her seat, despite pressure from her party to resign.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Rule of six came in Sept 14 in England so over 2 weeks ago. Hopefully it has slowed the rate of increase.

If you take triage as being a leading indicator that started to fall within the two week period ...there’s no evidence out there to say it has...I’m just pleased it has

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i would say that it means that between those dates 18-30 / 9 only 5 people died of anything other than covid complicated , pre existing conditions .........twadgery..!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
This tops all previous celeb and politician flouting of rules. Ferrier knowingly committed a crime in travelling 400 miles with the virus, on a passenger train, at the same time lying to the SNP Chief Whip. A hypocrite, the BBC showed her giving her two pennies worth when Cummings broke Lockdown rules.

Holding onto to her seat, despite pressure from her party to resign.

This may be my favourite response to anything ever.

[TWEET]1311764583544168450[/TWEET]

Ouch.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This may be my favourite response to anything ever.

[TWEET]1311764583544168450[/TWEET]

Ouch.

Dr Chris Smith on 5live just now, said that she committed crimes. Augmented by the lying and nonchalance once she knew. She’d been at the front of the queue criticising Cummings who’d travelled in a private car.

A whataboutery caller reckoned Cummings had faced no furore or calls to go.... she must be living on another planet ..... that storm occupied NSC and the chattering world for weeks and months. Other SNP callers have said she was right to travel with CV19 on a train because:
1. “She’s needed in Scotland now to fight Covid” politically.
2. “Emotionally, she panicked”.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
If there is any defence of this stupid woman, the travelling to London, in some eyes, could be excusable (not in mine), as at that point had no test result and was feeling "better" the travelling back, once the test result proved positive was inexcusable...

Like Cummings before her, these people clearly feel the laws of the land are only for the plebians...

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
The one major difference is pretty much everyone is demanding she leave, whereas the British Government did just about everything they could to try and keep Cummings.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
The one major difference is pretty much everyone is demanding she leave, whereas the British Government did just about everything they could to try and keep Cummings.

While no fan of Cummings and the way he was defended and allowed to get away with his Specsavers excuse, there is a major difference here in that Margaret Ferrier made a 400 mile trip by public transport from London to Scotland, whist knowingly infected.

Cummings got away with it, Ferrier can't...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Interesting news from France today where Macron has come out and said anyone promising a vaccine by the end of the year or March/April is lying and so they are now perusing a ‘live with the virus’ rather than what Hancock has said himself, our tactic of suppressing the virus until there is a vaccine. I know I’ve said this all along and I sound like a broken record but I think it’s a massive mistake to basically bet everything on a vaccine.

Historically 85% of vaccines which pass Phase II pass Phase III.

Given the number of vaccines now in advanced testing, the chances of us not having an approved vaccine within the next 6-12 months are very low indeed.

We currently have 30 at Phase II or later, so even if that 85% figure dropped badly to say, 50%, that would be 15 working vaccines within the next 6-12 months.

We don't know which ones will work, but it is very, very likely that multiple will.

Yoda

English & European
Honestly, do SAGE know what they are doing?

ONS data suggests cases may be falling and incidences per day are down on last week: https://news.sky.com/story/coronavi...ing-off-in-england-ons-data-suggests-12087733

SAGE "increases r up to 1.3 - 1.6": https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-r-number-increases-to-between-1-3-and-1-6-12087789

This confusing information is a prime example why there should be evidenced based science leading us, not guess work based on a floored model using an influenza pandemic from over 100 years ago.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
Daughter is in isolation at the moment as three other students in her accommodation have symptoms. They are waiting on results at the moment. A significant number of other students are in a similar position. I reckon there will be more students isolating than not soon.

Some have gone home in the hope of not getting it but it will be they same issue when they come back.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Historically 85% of vaccines which pass Phase II pass Phase III.

Given the number of vaccines now in advanced testing, the chances of us not having an approved vaccine within the next 6-12 months are very low indeed.

We currently have 30 at Phase II or later, so even if that 85% figure dropped badly to say, 50%, that would be 15 working vaccines within the next 6-12 months.

We don't know which ones will work, but it is very, very likely that multiple will.

All true.
However it would be nice to know where the efficacy bar has been set. For flu vac efficacy is around 50% ("21 CDC Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, the current influenza vaccine has been 45% effective overall against 2019-2020 seasonal influenza A and B viruses. Specifically, the flu vaccine has been 50% effective against influenza B/Victoria viruses and 37% effective against influenza A(H1N1)pdm09")

However, the FDA and WHO set the effectiveness bar at only 30%

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(20)31821-3/fulltext

"WHO recommends that successful vaccines should show an estimated risk reduction of at least one-half, with sufficient precision to conclude that the true vaccine efficacy is greater than 30%. This means that the 95% CI for the trial result should exclude efficacy less than 30%. Current US Food and Drug Administration guidance includes this lower limit of 30% as a criterion for vaccine licensure"

Call me innumerate but this suggests that the Covid Vac that get approved first (and will corner the market) could end up being not all that super.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here