Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Right, even more confused then ever now, so perhaps someone on here can advise...

Our household comprises of 5 people, me (60), my wife (59), two grand daughters (19 & 17) and our little one (3).

The government’s upcoming advice for those over 70 and the vulnerable, is to stay in isolation for 12 weeks (or maybe more).

My wife, as you may be aware, has cancer, Low Grade Non Hodgkin Lymphoma to be precise, and as such falls into the vulnerable category!

My question, clearly there is no point my vulnerable wife isolating, for the rest of us to carry on as normal bringing good knows what into the house. So do the government expect us ALL to self isolate for 12 weeks +?

Personally I haven’t got a problem with us self isolating, if we can get supplies, but just think the whole thing hasn’t been clearly thought out, and genuine guidance and advice seems lacking!

Any ideas?

Can she isolate in a part of the house ? - eg do you have a bedroom with ensuite or a top floor? Not saying that's easy of course, to have a total no go zone for all others.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
A good question.

I was actually going to post, thanking [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and you, for all your efforts over the last fortnight on COVID-19 threads, in putting aside political opposition to this government and unwaveringly posting common sense and facts. Against an Agincourt of arrows from NSC’s armchair experts, and bitters with a barely veiled party political agenda

I don’t know if @BS and @GB got ‘posting facts fatigue’ or simply have a life, but they appear less active today, I think.

Although you’re far more highly qualified to talk about these issues than myself, can I respectfully take up one issue with you? It appears you are at odds with the strategy of the CMO and CSA (and in effect 4 CMO’s for the 4 nations). Shirley no one globally knows how this will pan out, even the WHO have admitted as much, in that no one can possibly know which strategy will ultimately be most successful in minimising national COVID-19 mortality rates. The UK governments scientists are acting in good faith, and have many calm backers on 5Live and LBC from the fields of Virology, Epidemiology and Public Heath.

For those (to misquote Eric Idle) who haven’t drawn their terminal breath, we’ll find out the answers in a couple of years time.

I'm not sure I'm posting facts, just feelings. I've tended to agree with [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION] on this thread recently. I trust HWT because he knows what he's talking about on this subject. However, I also badly misjudged this initially and am still getting trolled for it.

No one should trust me or anyone else on here who is guessing but it's actually Bozza who has been mostly right throughout.

I am consistent on my thinking on Boris though. Yes, he and Hancock are probably busking, to use HWT's great term, but I wouldn't want to be them, not for all the brandy in Downing St. They are in a very shitty position and I truly believe they want to minimise deaths but also keep things running where possible.

Text from a good mate this evening. He has been having a massively shit time with his inlaws. If his F-I-L gets this he WILL die. Friend himself is immune compromised. However, the text was to inform me he's been offered redundancy as his business supplies to hotels. Is therefore more worried economically at this precise moment.

As for not being on the thread, work has gone mental. I've had to rearrange everything. I reckon I'm looking at three months before my project gets canned if we can't travel and I've just lost 5k on a holiday. Holidays can be taken another time but the cash would be nice if everything else goes the way I'm expecting.

And I'm a positive, happy kind of soul...…..

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
So I love my local as I'm sure many posters do. I don't want it to go under and from the gov't advice today it seems as though they will be getting no support whatsoever from BoJo and his chums. Publicans - Is there anything I can do to help aside from drinking as much booze as possible in the shortest time I can manage?

We don't think it will be long before we have to close now. Definitely not getting many through the doors for a while after todays govt advice.

I'll leave it my bosses in the ivory tower at head office to decide, or the Govt of course.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Grand National cancelled, it's getting serious now:down: I'm surprised they are continuing to race Tomorrow, even behind closed doors.
At least I'll save some money..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Johnson has nothing to offer except his office. funny thing is if he just pushed them out front he'd be criticised for that too. any other sensible politican would be doing the same, thankful we havent got Trump who's utterly gash at this (and has forced panic in financial markets).

Or Corbyn.

Imagine him leading the country now.

Frightening thought

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Can she isolate in a part of the house ? - eg do you have a bedroom with ensuite or a top floor? Not saying that's easy of course, to have a total no go zone for all others.

No, and she needs me to help her with her care needs.

Obviously I also have to care for the 3 year old, which just leaves the two teenagers, who both have learning difficulties.

Shit situation, eh! Now people might understand why I got so upset on the stockpiling thread...

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
One thing is clear, there has to be some kind of govt intervention to protect businesses. Otherwise we'll come out in 6 months and everything will be closed down.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Right, even more confused then ever now, so perhaps someone on here can advise...

Our household comprises of 5 people, me (60), my wife (59), two grand daughters (19 & 17) and our little one (3).

The government’s upcoming advice for those over 70 and the vulnerable, is to stay in isolation for 12 weeks (or maybe more).

My wife, as you may be aware, has cancer, Low Grade Non Hodgkin Lymphoma to be precise, and as such falls into the vulnerable category!

My question, clearly there is no point my vulnerable wife isolating, for the rest of us to carry on as normal bringing good knows what into the house. So do the government expect us ALL to self isolate for 12 weeks +?

Personally I haven’t got a problem with us self isolating, if we can get supplies, but just think the whole thing hasn’t been clearly thought out, and genuine guidance and advice seems lacking!

Any ideas?

A personal view, and I normally err on the non-cautious side - because of your wife’s cancer, weakened immune system and ongoing treatment, I would say self isolating for the entire family is the safe option. With the usual hand washing advice etc.

You may’ve read this already:
https://lymphoma-action.org.uk/advice-coronavirus-people-cancer

As always, I hope your wife’s treatment is going well.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
A personal view, and I normally err on the non-cautious side - because of your wife’s cancer, weakened immune system and ongoing treatment, I would say self isolating for the entire family is the safe option. With the usual hand washing advice etc.

You may’ve read this already:
https://lymphoma-action.org.uk/advice-coronavirus-people-cancer

As always, I hope your wife’s treatment is going well.

Thank you, I must admit I hadn’t seen that particular piece. Still a little airy fairy, follow advice etc., but I think whole family isolation is going to be best option!

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Open question here, and one that the answer might not be known yet - but once you've recovered from the virus, is it definitely the case that you can't transmit it to other people?

If so, some way down the line I wonder if any measures will be taken for those people who have recovered to do key jobs like caring for sick people (if qualified), or doing food deliveries for those in isolation etc.

In fact, I wonder if any countries have considered purposefully infecting and isolating a significant percentage of their young, healthy low risk people across multiple professions, waiting a few weeks for them to recover, and then getting those people to carry on with society and support everyone else while the rest of the population ride it out in isolation. Sure, some of them would still die, but presumably fewer.

Something out of some dystopian film no doubt, but it would be interesting to know whether such a tactic would result in fewer deaths overall

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've been saying for a while that the US is going to have one of the worst outbreaks due to lack of social safety nets & healthcare failings but I didn't imagine it going full Wild West so quickly. What's going to happen when the federal gov't tries to enact quarantine?

Trump will sort it out :lol::lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here