Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Main Coronavirus / Covid-19 Discussion Thread

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Am I mad in saying that I’d like to get it, get my isolation over with and then know that I can go see my folks without worry that I’m gonna infect them?

Trouble is, how do you know you've had it? Theres no testing for non serious cases. Every cough and cold is a 14 day isolation without knowing what you've had.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
Am I mad in saying that I’d like to get it, get my isolation over with and then know that I can go see my folks without worry that I’m gonna infect them?
You are exactly right. I think anyone would prefer to bring it on get it over (whatever) and then you are past it. Sadly, we need to stretch it out over time for the common good (I believe the NHS will be overstretched but the question is by how much, the better they cope the more lives saved)

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Idris Elba now has it, though is apparently asymptomstic. The sheer numbers of celebrity types who have tested positive already suggests that this already way more rife in our community than the official numbers show (perhaps even more so than the inflated 10,000 figure quoted yesterday).

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Trouble is, how do you know you've had it? Theres no testing for non serious cases. Every cough and cold is a 14 day isolation without knowing what you've had.

For me that's down to the temperature and the incredibly painful breathing problems. Like no cough and cold I've ever experienced

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you including me among that cohort (curiosity, not accusation)? ??? I have been critical of Vallance, with reason. Boris' decisions have been very British. I don't argue with the substance (which is largely 'we shall wait and see and advise people to wash their hands' because the tough decision needs a few days for inforcement measures to be put in place) but the presentation was unnerving ('but in a week we may have you under curfew, just see if we don't'). With the over 70s effectively under house arrest from a week's time (yes, I know he didn't say that but that's what my aged neighbours think he said - just back from a neighbourhood self help meeting) this is an invitation for hysterical hoarding during the next 7 days. It is only with a degree of residual self control that I manage to avoid joining the hysterics myself.

There are numerous over 70s on my street (which is a quiet cul de sac). Those I met this evening are refusing to stay at home, but they think they can avoid the virus. Dream on. As I said in another post, if people are going to be made to stay at home (urged, cajoled, forced, not clear what, yet) we NEED a national support network to ensure folk have food (forget about someone to chat to - people need to eat). Telling my 80+ neighbours they should not go shopping, and should not get in close proximity, is a load of old bollocks. If we had a wartime scenario, we'd march in and sort it out. Actually, that is what we are doing on my street. But I still can't tell whether I am over- or under-reacting.

The way things are, I predict looting by the weekend. Especially in Croydon. But will anyone notice*?

*This is a serious post but I reserve the right to sink to low comedy at the drop of a hat.

A good question.

I was actually going to post, thanking [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and you, for all your efforts over the last fortnight on COVID-19 threads, in putting aside political opposition to this government and unwaveringly posting common sense and facts. Against an Agincourt of arrows from NSC’s armchair experts, and bitters with a barely veiled party political agenda

I don’t know if @BS and @GB got ‘posting facts fatigue’ or simply have a life, but they appear less active today, I think.

Although you’re far more highly qualified to talk about these issues than myself, can I respectfully take up one issue with you? It appears you are at odds with the strategy of the CMO and CSA (and in effect 4 CMO’s for the 4 nations). Shirley no one globally knows how this will pan out, even the WHO have admitted as much, in that no one can possibly know which strategy will ultimately be most successful in minimising national COVID-19 mortality rates. The UK governments scientists are acting in good faith, and have many calm backers on 5Live and LBC from the fields of Virology, Epidemiology and Public Heath.

For those (to misquote Eric Idle) who haven’t drawn their terminal breath, we’ll find out the answers in a couple of years time.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
so we all just give up eh , sounds more like a Zombie apocalypse :shrug:
Regards
DF

No, you appreciate the situation, which isn't a media driven hysteria.

Obviously everyone carries on as best and as normal as they can, as far as is safely appropriate.

It's frustrating when people come along and dismiss the situation as a media driven hysteria when there is very real and apparent global pandemic doing the rounds.

Jan 30, 2008
No, you appreciate the situation, which isn't a media driven hysteria.

Obviously everyone carries on as best and as normal as they can, as far as is safely appropriate.

It's frustrating when people come along and dismiss the situation as a media driven hysteria when there is very real and apparent global pandemic doing the rounds.

I'm not dismissing anything , people are being conditioned some people just dont see it
Regards
DF

Argartu

Jun 5, 2014
So I love my local as I'm sure many posters do. I don't want it to go under and from the gov't advice today it seems as though they will be getting no support whatsoever from BoJo and his chums. Publicans - Is there anything I can do to help aside from drinking as much booze as possible in the shortest time I can manage?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A good question.

I was actually going to post, thanking [MENTION=16159]Bold Seagull[/MENTION], [MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] and you, for all your efforts over the last fortnight on COVID-19 threads, in putting aside political opposition to this government and unwaveringly posting common sense and facts. Against an Agincourt of arrows from NSC’s armchair experts, and bitters with a barely veiled party political agenda

[MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]’s the last poster NOT petty party politicising this. Sticking to facts and constantly reminding us of the unknowns.

The last man standing, as others succumbed to the ‘everything’s being done so much better everywhere but the UK’ unproven nonsense.

Solution to the loo roll crisis?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Right, even more confused then ever now, so perhaps someone on here can advise...

Our household comprises of 5 people, me (60), my wife (59), two grand daughters (19 & 17) and our little one (3).

The government’s upcoming advice for those over 70 and the vulnerable, is to stay in isolation for 12 weeks (or maybe more).

My wife, as you may be aware, has cancer, Low Grade Non Hodgkin Lymphoma to be precise, and as such falls into the vulnerable category!

My question, clearly there is no point my vulnerable wife isolating, for the rest of us to carry on as normal bringing good knows what into the house. So do the government expect us ALL to self isolate for 12 weeks +?

Personally I haven’t got a problem with us self isolating, if we can get supplies, but just think the whole thing hasn’t been clearly thought out, and genuine guidance and advice seems lacking!

Any ideas?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here