Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I DON'T have kids of my own and I don't blame the parents

Votes: 29 16.1%

• Total voters

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
beardy gull said:
I have a 11 month old girl and don't blame the parents. I certainly don't get angry about them. That seems a very strange reaction to me.
Why?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
beardy gull said:
I think pity is a more natural reaction. It is for me anyway.
Sympathy and empathy.

SussexHoop

Dec 7, 2003
I have 2 kids and people may well think I'm being sanctimonious but I have never left and would never have considered leaving my kids alone in a hotel room.

Yes, ultimate responsibility lies with the scum that have taken the girl and I can't imagine what the parents are going through. Not sure if it is mentioned in this thread or the other, but at some point, they may have to leave Portugal without their daughter and that is dreadful.

However, in my opinion leaving kids that young alone in a hotel room was a shit decision for any parent to make. Your kids come first, end of. I don't know what the law is in Portugal but in this country, doing what they did is against the law.

Would those who are supportive of the parents have the same opinion if she hadn't been kidnapped but say had had a serious accident or the kids had died in a fire when left alone?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
SussexHoop said:
I have 2 kids and people may well think I'm being sanctimonious but I have never left and would never have considered leaving my kids alone in a hotel room.

Yes, ultimate responsibility lies with the scum that have taken the girl and I can't imagine what the parents are going through. Not sure if it is mentioned in this thread or the other, but at some point, they may have to leave Portugal without their daughter and that is dreadful.

However, in my opinion leaving kids that young alone in a hotel room was a shit decision for any parent to make. Your kids come first, end of. I don't know what the law is in Portugal but in this country, doing what they did is against the law.

Would those who are supportive of the parents have the same opinion if she hadn't been kidnapped but say had had a serious accident or the kids had died in a fire when left alone?

exactamundo

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
The reward is up to £2.5m

Contributors are...

JK Rowling
Sir Philip Green
Richard Branson
Bill Kenwright
Eggert Magnusson
John Madejski
Jacqueline Gold
Simon Cowell
Wayne Rooney
Michael Vaughan
Sir Tom Hunter
Sir Stelio Haji-Ioannou
John Hargreaves

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
Monkster said:
it's not like saying that at all

absoulutly no difference to parents having dinner at the bottom of their garden and someone breaking into the house to snatch the kid......

To be fair, that's a very good point.

Although, said paedo was possibly on the prowl and clocked them leaving apartment without kids, so not entirely the same.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
If she's not, god forbid, dead already, I do think that this whole 'Princess Diana' factor could make her abductors see sense and release her.

There's been such a big public outcry over this - imo more than over any other child abduction to date - that it may force him / her to let her go.

DJ Leon

Aug 30, 2003
Hassocks
I'm not a parent. I don't blame the parents (actually I blame whoever snatched the child) but I do believe that a debate about when it's safe to let your chidlren out of your sight is right and proper.

What I also believe vehemently is that anyone who thinks this particular discussion is black and white and that the parents are definitely to blame is just plain wrong - it's so much more complicated than that.

1066gull

eastlondonseagull said:
If she's not, god forbid, dead already, I do think that this whole 'Princess Diana' factor could make her abductors see sense and release her.

There's been such a big public outcry over this - imo more than over any other child abduction to date - that it may force him / her to let her go.
I think there was more of an outcry over Holly and Jessica abducted by Ian Huntley because there was TWO of them went missing together in their HOME town.

eastlondonseagull

Jan 15, 2004
West Yorkshire
AdrianDINho said:
I think there was more of an outcry over Holly and Jessica abducted by Ian Huntley because there was TWO of them went missing together in their HOME town.

I don't seem to recall as many prayer vigiles, Premiership footballers, millionairess authors etc getting involved then, though.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
SussexHoop said:

They might. Or they might just think you are a good parent doing all in your power to keep your children safe.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
DJ Leon said:
What I also believe vehemently is that anyone who thinks this particular discussion is black and white and that the parents are definitely to blame is just plain wrong - it's so much more complicated than that.

Personally I believe that it is COMPLETELY black and white. Only an imbecile would think it ok to leave young children alone in an apartment. Selfish, irresponsible and unbelievable are three words that spring to mind. Both parents are f**king idiots, to put it mildy!

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Barrel of Fun said:
The reward is up to £2.5m

Contributors are...

JK Rowling
Sir Philip Green
Richard Branson
Bill Kenwright
Eggert Magnusson
John Madejski
Jacqueline Gold
Simon Cowell
Wayne Rooney
Michael Vaughan
Sir Tom Hunter
Sir Stelio Haji-Ioannou
John Hargreaves

This is all well intended but is it going to make any difference?

At the end of the day the only person to blame is the person(s) who abducted her. Were the parents wrong to leave her? Probably yes but it looks like a fairly organised effort by however did it so I am sure they would have done it at another time.

The only thing we should all be worried about at the moment is trying to find the poor girl.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here