Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mackail-Smith to Leeds rumour picking up...

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
Barring Barnes who scored many penalties he is our best striker end of,he has scored 10 goals in each of his two seasons in the championship and both seasons he had dire service as we focused to much on defending.

CMS is quality end of :)

I never thought I would see the day I agreed so whole heartedly with SA!:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown:

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Clueless!

He's one of Poyet's favourite works in progress
You makes oi larrff.... Barnes is a jobbing attacking player, with little pace, and a need to have 10 shots for every one on target. He links play a bit yes, but he struggles to control the ball, so his assistance in this area is limited. Work in progress, this will have to be something similar to painting the Sistine Chapel, it will take a long time for this piece of work to be complete.

SirElliotBennett

May 5, 2010
West Stand Lower
if he does fair play to him, he's not as bad as some make out or his record of last season.

Gus bought him and then left him isolated up front in a system totally unsuitable for him, 1 little guy against defenders on his own poor old CMS was feeding on scraps, the occasional loan partners he did have were crap, it would affect anybodies confidence.

put him in a system with players to feed off that suits him like at Peterborough and the taps will open again I'm sure

I understand what you mean but I don't think he is the man to get 20+ goals a season. Some of the chances missed prove that to me. E.g Burnley at home, Leicester away.

Dez

Jul 5, 2003
Brighton
Well if its going to happen, it didn't happen today. Gus wasn't exactly convincing about CMS staying at the Fans Forum. I guess a few things have to slot into place before the cogs start to move.

I have have heard nothing since to confirm or quash news of the move. But I'm convinced he wouldn't have said anything unless it was almost certain to happen. Guess we just need to watch this space. If as suggested it is a swap move I imagine things take a bit longer to tie up.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Listening to the fans forum, I would say CMS is off. Yes Poyet said all what you would expect him to say blar blar blar. But he could have put a cap on it, by saying "Macca is going nowhere,lol"...Instead he just said, things change day by day in football and how it's not fair on players to speculate on their future's etc etc...This tells me there is something 100% in this. But CMS won't be going to Leeds unless McCormack comes the other way...I would go as far as to say, I think this is deffo going to happen.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Listening to the fans forum, I would say CMS is off. Yes Poyet said all what you would expect him to say blar blar blar. But he could have put a cap on it, by saying "Macca is going nowhere,lol"...Instead he just said, things change day by day in football and how it's not fair on players to speculate on their future's etc etc...This tells me there is something 100% in this. But CMS won't be going to Leeds unless McCormack comes the other way...I would go as far as to say, I think this is deffo going to happen.

Interesting isn't it...from listening no way would i come to that conclusion...hey ho

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Well if its going to happen, it didn't happen today. Gus wasn't exactly convincing about CMS staying at the Fans Forum. I guess a few things have to slot into place before the cogs start to move.

This...it sounded to me like he is on his way. Of course Gus could not openly say this, but then he did not say he is staying either. Which would have been the easiest option for him to say.

HenryC

Mar 27, 2010
South West!
Would the CMS sycophants PLEASE STOP idolising him.

He has limited talent and is NOT suited to a promotion chasing championship team.

He's a great guy but if Leeds want him then let him go.

We need a technically better player that suits the way we play...

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
You makes oi larrff.... Barnes is a jobbing attacking player, with little pace, and a need to have 10 shots for every one on target. He links play a bit yes, but he struggles to control the ball, so his assistance in this area is limited. Work in progress, this will have to be something similar to painting the Sistine Chapel, it will take a long time for this piece of work to be complete.

He is only 22!!!! Give him a f***ing break!

Jeez some of you "experts" really are utterly clueless who know little about football!

I love CMS but Barnes is on course for being a technically better player. Don't believe me? Well check too see where CMS was at Barnes' age...I'll tell you...Dagenham & Redbridge, struggling to hold down a first team place! So by your statement, he would never have made it.

Barnes is not the finished article...far from it, but he IS one of the most promising young strikers in the Championship!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Interesting isn't it...from listening no way would i come to that conclusion...hey ho

He could have said, CMS is a vital part of our team and he is going nowhere and I back him to score 20 goals next season...I've heard enough interviews over the years to convince me CMS will not be a Brighton player come 18th of August.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton

EDIT: Updated and more accurate stats later in the thread post 214

Ashley Barnes Bio, Stats, News - Football / Soccer - - ESPN Soccernet

Barnes Last season
56 shots (46% of shots are on target)
26 on target (42.3% of shots on target are goals)
11 goals (19.6% of shots are goals)

Drogba:
100 shots (34% on target)
34 on target (38% on target result in goal)
13 goals (13% shots result in goal)

Rooney
157 shots (44.6% of shots are on target)
70 on target (38.6% of shots on target result in a goal)
27 goals (17.2% of shots result in a goal)

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
I could swear that Gus also claimed that since signing "Macca" he has been looking for the ideal player to partner him with. "Ees no eesy, there ees no enough player around of the quality We wan, and the good one ees too espenseeve for us. We weel keep looking"

If Gus lets CMS go after just one season, I think that would mean Gus admitting to a serious error of judgement of a player on his part... He won't do that IMHO.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I could swear that Gus also claimed that since signing "Macca" he has been looking for the ideal player to partner him with. "Ees no eesy, there ees no enough player around of the quality We wan, and the good one ees too espenseeve for us. We weel keep looking"

If Gus lets CMS go after just one season, I think that would mean Gus admitting to a serious error of judgement of a player on his part... He won't do that IMHO.

I would agree with you on the last part. But it won't be sold to us like that. It will be Leeds are a massive club, we can't stand in a players way, he wanted to be further back up country and McCormack coming to us more than makes up for it, as in like for like....Personally I love Cms but I'd swap him for the proven McCormack in a heartbeat, even if Cms is a great all round gezzer and lovely bloke.

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom

Barnes Last season
66 shots (39% of shots are on target)
11 goals (16.7% of shots are goals)

Drogba:

Rooney

Well I never.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina

Barnes Last season

Drogba:

Rooney

Great stats. Let's hope we get Barnes into more shooting positions than last year.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Barnes Last season

Drogba:

Rooney

Stats only ever really tell half the story don't they?If the pens are included in that, it does not look half as clever...Like saying a side has 75% possession and lose 1-0. It's all a bit irrelevant really.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003

They were my thoughts too.i think he will be off.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Great stats. Let's hope we get Barnes into more shooting positions than last year.

I've a feeling it's going to be a very big season for Barnes, I fully believe he can get 20 goals next season with the midfield we have.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
CMS is not off. Poyet is just stating the obvious. If we need a striker now, but sell CMS, we will then need 2. It's a headache Poyet and Bloom will not want

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here