Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Mac Allister - why isn't he playing more?

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Isn’t it a bizarre thing that praising a player making an impact requires slating the previous? Gross had his strengths and limitations like any player, not for a second have I thought ‘thank god he’s not in the team so I don’t have to endure him. Really don’t get it. Pre Covid Gross was considered a stop gap target for Liverpool at one point. Now turn on him because someone is better. Weird.

Anyhow, I’d like to suggest The club have managed MacA brilliantly and we’re seeing the impact we’re seeing because he’s been built up behind the scenes and given the mentality and confidence to deal with the PL. It really does take a bit of time. It’s like a switch has gone off in his head and great to see. Credit to the player and staff as we’ve seen plenty not bridge the gap after showing early promise.

:thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Isn’t it a bizarre thing that praising a player making an impact requires slating the previous? Gross had his strengths and limitations like any player, not for a second have I thought ‘thank god he’s not in the team so I don’t have to endure him. Really don’t get it. Pre Covid Gross was considered a stop gap target for Liverpool at one point. Now turn on him because someone is better. Weird.

Anyhow, I’d like to suggest The club have managed MacA brilliantly and we’re seeing the impact we’re seeing because he’s been built up behind the scenes and given the mentality and confidence to deal with the PL. It really does take a bit of time. It’s like a switch has gone off in his head and great to see. Credit to the player and staff as we’ve seen plenty not bridge the gap after showing early promise.

A bizarre day, White, Ryan and now Gross coming into the cross hairs of so called fans.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Thought he was absolutely terrific today.

Came across this article about Alexis and his brothers, sorry if it has been posted previously.

There is a team photo in it with what looks like GP in it, Poyet that is can anyone confirm ?

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/new...eeping-fifes-argentine-football-legacy-alive/

Not sure if this is allowed but think he could have done better with both their goals but that should not take away from a brilliant performance going forward and why he didn't get a 10 in my ratings...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
On the fence about what? That Mac should have been playing more? I've been posting that for weeks.

Well the fact that you seem to be suggesting that you know better than GP as to who should be playing should give you a clue

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
A bizarre day, White, Ryan and now Gross coming into the cross hairs of so called fans.

Stephens got a teeny tiny bit when he came on v Utd.

All that noise coupled with the seemingly desperate needed to be wronged by:-

- The Big 6 bias (if City had done that)
- MotD (last all about Everton)
- Media in general.

It would seem some really can't cope with our elevated status.
I don't think there's any more pearls left to clasp.

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
The one thing I'll say about Ali Mac is after the Burnley brilliance in the first game of the season he actually hadn't performed well in subsequent appearances. In sub appearances in the league he appeared a bit lost and in the cup game vs Swansea he wasn't particularly good I didn't think.

Therefore, I think once again it was a bit of a Potter masterstroke to get him working on the training pitch and he's looked far better in the recent starts. The lad clearly has bags of quality and potential as evidenced periodically last season but think he has been managed perfectly and think it's far too easy to suggest he should have started/featured in more matches. These young players have to be eased in, easy to forget even Bissouma was rather rusty at times at the start of his career with us.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The one thing I'll say about Ali Mac is after the Burnley brilliance in the first game of the season he actually hadn't performed well in subsequent appearances. In sub appearances in the league he appeared a bit lost and in the cup game vs Swansea he wasn't particularly good I didn't think.

Therefore I think once again it was a bit of a Potter masterstroke to get him working on the training pitch and he's looked far better in the recent starts. The lad clearly has bags of quality and potential as evidenced periodically last season but think he has been managed perfectly and think it's far too easy to suggest he should have started/featured in more matches. These young players have to be eased in, easy to forget even Bissouma was rather rusty at times at the start of his career with us.

Agree. Far too easy to conclude playing well now, should have been playing before - I didn’t see Goodison MacA in many previous appearances. Flashes of it for sure, but not over the majority of a game.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

Therefore, I think once again it was a bit of a Potter masterstroke to get him working on the training pitch and he's looked far better in the recent starts. The lad clearly has bags of quality and potential as evidenced periodically last season but think he has been managed perfectly and think it's far too easy to suggest he should have started/featured in more matches. These young players have to be eased in, easy to forget even Bissouma was rather rusty at times at the start of his career with us.

Only assisted both goals in that game...

Thrasher

Mar 18, 2018
On the Boundary
Does he have a song yet? Was thinking something along the lines of Jimmy Mack - Martha and the Vandellas could work.
Ali, Ali Mac…… ?
Over to you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sdmartin1

Sep 23, 2008
Only assisted both goals in that game...

Connolly scored both the goals as well, but as with Ali Mac for the majority of the game didn't particularly impress me. Swansea could have easily drawn the game if they could shoot. Comparing the side Swansea fielded to the sides we come up against in the league on a regular basis is like chalk and cheese.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
Connolly scored both the goals as well, but as with Ali Mac for the majority of the game didn't particularly impress me. Swansea could have easily drawn the game if they could shoot. Comparing the side Swansea fielded to the sides we come up against in the league on a regular basis is like chalk and cheese.

I thought Ali Mac ran the show against Swansea :shrug:

Agree re: Connoly but tbf to him, he scored two goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here