Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lymphoma / Blood Cancer

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hope it all goes well for you. I have a few friends who had Prostate Cancer and are now all clear, I mentioned the MacMillan donations earlier - Prostate Cancer is another I donate to regularly having seen so many go through this recently.

(I'm not going all Smashy & Nicey here with my 'charidy' stuff - just happen to be two of those that I do try to help).
Many thanks for your thoughts :)

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
I run a Support Group for Leukaemia in Brighton and they can be most helpful in learning from others. It is with the help of Leukaemia Care who help all with Blood Cancers who have a great support system. Look them up and there are other charities that are also for Lymphoma who will also give you great support. Our support group is just over the road from the Sussex Cancer Centre in the wonderful McMillian Building. They will also be a good resource to use if you call in there. I wish you luck and there are great advances in Blood Cancer. I have had CLL for 12 years now and originally told I had about 5 years after chemo. Now with new drugs coming out etc, the future looks good for us all. Don't suffer in silence there is a lot of support out there,

SK1NT

Sep 9, 2003
Thames Ditton
@Since1982 someone i know had it about 8 years ago. He was about as unhealthy and they come. Drinking smoking etc and yet he was over it in a few months and although still lives an awful lifestyle the cancer hasn't returned.

I have a massive fear of cancer as my mum and dad have had it and grandparents died of it... however you my friend have nothing to worry about. You will be right as rain in no time...

btw there is this book that i really really cannot recommend enough... it makes you feel in control against this awful awful disease. It is written by a scientist who got a brain tumour. Everything in the book is based on science.

Anticancer: A New Way of Life​

by David Servan-Schreiber (Author)

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can't answer your questions but I wish you all the very best and a speedy recovery.

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Not sure where it exists on the spectrum of all things blood cancer, but I was diagnosed with T Cell Large Granular Chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia back in 2017 - it's basically 'CLL' with a bit of a funky preamble.. I'm Watching & Waiting with no treatment as yet but am also neutropenic (dodgy immune system) which, to be honest, with the challenge of having to avoid infections, is the bigger of my concerns right now. So could be a hell of a lot worse! In fact the consultant at the time told me not to get too hung upon the 'leukaemia' word in that "there are many different forms of the condition" (words to that effect) & that some are far better than others. But, much gratitude (& the very best wishes) to the OP & others on this thread for bringing this up; there aren't many people I've shared this with, just immediate family, tbh! xx

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I am sorry to hear your news. On the positive side there are new blood cancer treatments emerging all the time. I was diagnosed with Myeloma 4 and a half years ago. It is an incurable blood cancer and so I am am permanently on treatment; chemo and immunotherapy at the moment. Although mine is a different blood cancer I expect the chemo regimes may be similar and they tend to be targetted, have quite manageable side-effects and very good outcomes. The early days after diagnosis can be tough as you get your head around it but once you get into a treatment routine it becomes easier. All the very best

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
All I can say is that I hope you can get clear of your cancer.
It's a shock when you get told, but after that, you can take a, sidestep, and look at things logically in a positive way.

I only briefly mentioned on here before, that I got diagnosed with prostrate cancer in October, which was a shock I can tell you.
I'm going into hospital Dec 22 to have a radical prostatectomy, basically to get the fecking cancer out, originally booked for Jan, but a cancellation opened up, so grabbed it.
@SIMMO SAYS will back me up on this, you have to try and stay positive, otherwise it'll be harder in the long run.

Good luck to you:)

Another shout to the wonderful people at Macmillan.
OMG AR, I must have missed this. I’m so sorry to hear, but it’s the most curable and besides doesn’t stand a chance against your character. Sometimes prostate cancer doesn’t know who it’s fecking with, but it does now and it’s going to get a right kicking before being turfed out of your body, like a sheriff seeing a tar and feathered vagabond to the district boundary, with a “…and don’t come back or else” accompaniment.

Everything crossed, and you’re going to be fine.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Has anybody else here been treated for follicular lymphoma? I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and am awaiting an appointment at the Sussex Cancer Centre on Tuesday to learn of my treatment plan. I'm told lymphoma is a "good" cancer to get as it isn't likely to kill me, there are good treatments although it can't be cured. I also appear to have the least aggressive form of lymphoma as well so some consolation. I've had a call with the MacMillan Nurse today and she reckons I will be doing 6 months of chemo starting in Jan. Its described as low grade chemo and I'm told that apart from a reduced immune system and fatigue I should be able to manage OK around it but no foreign travel, likely to have to step away from gigging with the band - at least I chose not to renew my ST this year!
Dad diagnosed with basically the same when he was 50. Celebrated his 81st last month. You’re going to be fine mate, and good luck 😃💙👍

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
OMG AR, I must have missed this. I’m so sorry to hear, but it’s the most curable and besides doesn’t stand a chance against your character. Sometimes prostate cancer doesn’t know who it’s fecking with, but it does now and it’s going to get a right kicking before being turfed out of your body, like a sheriff seeing a tar and feathered vagabond to the district boundary, with a “…and don’t come back or else” accompaniment.

Everything crossed, and you’re going to be fin Screenshot_20221217_122311_Gallery.jpg
Cheers chap, Its all good, staying positive as per....
Mrs AR battle ready :)
Cliveden nice at the moment :thumbsup:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I know the haematology/oncology department very well up at the Sussex County. I spent 5 months mostly as an inpatient 8 years ago when I was diagnosed with Acute Promyelocytic Leukemia. All clear now.
They are brilliant up there, you couldn't be in better hands.
Stay positive mate and make sure you get as much rest as possible especially during the chemo phases. Let your body concentrate on the healing process.
Wishing you all the best

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
My very best wishes to you @Since1982.
As mentioned I have been dealing with ethmoid cancer which resulted in losing an eye.
I had a 22mm brain tumour removed six months later.
Five years later I am still waiting for another six hour operation to create a 'flap'.
The delay to have this done has been caused by covid and now the thousands waiting like yourself.
Two of my mates are dealing with prostrate and bowel cancer all of us in our sixties.
The care given to me by the NHS has been outstanding.
The one thing I would say is to try and stay positive.
It will be hard work but never give in.
I still attend all Albion home matches although it is knackering even when we win!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My very best wishes to you @Since1982.
As mentioned I have been dealing with ethmoid cancer which resulted in losing an eye.
I had a 22mm brain tumour removed six months later.
Five years later I am still waiting for another six hour operation to create a 'flap'.
The delay to have this done has been caused by covid and now the thousands waiting like yourself.
Two of my mates are dealing with prostrate and bowel cancer all of us in our sixties.
The care given to me by the NHS has been outstanding.
The one thing I would say is to try and stay positive.
It will be hard work but never give in.
I still attend all Albion home matches although it is knackering even when we win!
This is the conviction that has inspired me Simmo :thumbsup:
I'm sure you'll breeze through the next step :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here