Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lymphoma / Blood Cancer

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Has anybody else here been treated for follicular lymphoma? I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and am awaiting an appointment at the Sussex Cancer Centre on Tuesday to learn of my treatment plan. I'm told lymphoma is a "good" cancer to get as it isn't likely to kill me, there are good treatments although it can't be cured. I also appear to have the least aggressive form of lymphoma as well so some consolation. I've had a call with the MacMillan Nurse today and she reckons I will be doing 6 months of chemo starting in Jan. Its described as low grade chemo and I'm told that apart from a reduced immune system and fatigue I should be able to manage OK around it but no foreign travel, likely to have to step away from gigging with the band - at least I chose not to renew my ST this year!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
You might well have immunotherapy run alongside the chemo. Fatigue is a problem so no marathons mate .

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Has anybody else here been treated for follicular lymphoma? I was diagnosed a few weeks ago and am awaiting an appointment at the Sussex Cancer Centre on Tuesday to learn of my treatment plan. I'm told lymphoma is a "good" cancer to get as it isn't likely to kill me, there are good treatments although it can't be cured. I also appear to have the least aggressive form of lymphoma as well so some consolation. I've had a call with the MacMillan Nurse today and she reckons I will be doing 6 months of chemo starting in Jan. Its described as low grade chemo and I'm told that apart from a reduced immune system and fatigue I should be able to manage OK around it but no foreign travel, likely to have to step away from gigging with the band - at least I chose not to renew my ST this year!
First off, sorry to hear your news – whatever the prognosis, it's not ideal having to go through any form of treatment.

MIL has three types of cancer, one of them being lymphoma. Hers is quite a complicated situation but, as I understand it, the lymphoma has been managed – but she still sadly has a terminal diagnosis from her other cancers. But every case is individual and the support team around her – and many like her – is excellent. Plus they are trying and trialing new things all the time (MIL was a 'guinea pig' for a new stem cell transplant five (or six?) years ago) so the chances of more comfortable recovery or less invasive treatments/procedures increase all the time.

Good luck for Tuesday :thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
All I can say is that I hope you can get clear of your cancer.
It's a shock when you get told, but after that, you can take a, sidestep, and look at things logically in a positive way.

I only briefly mentioned on here before, that I got diagnosed with prostrate cancer in October, which was a shock I can tell you.
I'm going into hospital Dec 22 to have a radical prostatectomy, basically to get the fecking cancer out, originally booked for Jan, but a cancellation opened up, so grabbed it.
@SIMMO SAYS will back me up on this, you have to try and stay positive, otherwise it'll be harder in the long run.

Good luck to you:)

Another shout to the wonderful people at Macmillan.

Last edited:

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I had treatment for Hodgkins Lymphoma in the 1990s. I was told at the time I had a 92% chance of survival and I hope those odds have improved since.

My experience of chemo was on the whole pretty good especially after they got the anti emetic dosage correct. The tuna and sweetcorn jacket potato that I fancied on the first day was a mistake!

I have four other memories which may or may not be helpful.

1. As the chemo kicks in you will feel periods of tiredness. So pacing yourself is really important. I didn't go to work during the chemo and on reflection that was a good decision

2. There will be days when you find the chemo and the constant blood tests and needles wearing but in the whole its not that bad and the nurses delivering the jabs are so skillful and patient orientated. They will make you feel exceptionally well cared for.

3. You will look round at the hospital and see people in a far worse state, some literally dying, than you. Its worth being prepared for that.

4. The chemo played havoc with my taste buds. Water tasted like petrol and food or drinks I fancied came and went whimsically but all of that is just a phase and thirty years later donner kebabs and cheesy chips are back at the top of the menu.

Good luck fella. You will be in the best possible hands.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I wish you all the best @Since1982 - based on what you say, hopefully your prognosis is good - the treatment though can be a bummer sometimes. No one has mentioned hair loss - although not all forms of chemo cause this (and there are cooling caps that help) - anyway that was the tough one for me to deal with - am still dealing with but being on steroids for another illness has actually coincidently helped a bit with regrowth! My Dad died from cancer some years ago (just before Christmas) and my Mum, incredibly is a cancer survivor from a really aggressive form of cancer (2 Christmases ago) but it was the radiation that was the ‘mare for her and sadly means she can no longer eat solid food or taste much including wine (which she loved) The MacMillan Nurses and Community Care Teams are amazing though, can’t praise them highly enough.

Can I just send out heartfelt warm wishes to everyone here (on NSC) dealing with cancer or coping with a loved one having cancer (or recently lost someone with cancer) - I know from personal experience that cancer is never easy but it’s also not an easy time of year to have all this going on too for obvious reasons. @AmexRuislip good thoughts for next week, glad you got an earlier appointment, and @Greg Bobkin sorry about your MIL 😕

Last edited:

Jul 7, 2003
It's a shock when you get told, but after that, you can take a, sidestep, and look at things logically in a positive way.

I only briefly mentioned on here before, that I got diagnosed with prostrate cancer in October, which was a shock I can tell you.
I'm going into hospital Dec 22 to have a radical prostatectomy, basically to get the fecking cancer out, originally booked for Jan, but a cancellation opened up, so grabbed it.
@SIMMO SAYS will back me up on this, you have to try and stay positive, otherwise it'll be harder in the long run.

Hope it all goes well for you. I have a few friends who had Prostate Cancer and are now all clear, I mentioned the MacMillan donations earlier - Prostate Cancer is another I donate to regularly having seen so many go through this recently.

(I'm not going all Smashy & Nicey here with my 'charidy' stuff - just happen to be two of those that I do try to help).

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry to hear your news, I wish you all the best in your treatment.
Cancer has taken far too many friends and family from everyone, I do not know one person who has not been affected by it in one way or another.

Lots of love
Thank you. This year I’ve lost my Mum to liver cancer, my daughter in law has been diagnosed with breast cancer and now me - it’s a bugger!

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

Best wishes for your treatment. A mate has been diagnosed with the same (was picked up in a mass testing event) and is waiting a treatment plan.

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
I had treatment for Hodgkins Lymphoma in the 1990s. I was told at the time I had a 92% chance of survival and I hope those odds have improved since.

My experience of chemo was on the whole pretty good especially after they got the anti emetic dosage correct. The tuna and sweetcorn jacket potato that I fancied on the first day was a mistake!

I have four other memories which may or may not be helpful.

1. As the chemo kicks in you will feel periods of tiredness. So pacing yourself is really important. I didn't go to work during the chemo and on reflection that was a good decision

2. There will be days when you find the chemo and the constant blood tests and needles wearing but in the whole its not that bad and the nurses delivering the jabs are so skillful and patient orientated. They will make you feel exceptionally well cared for.

3. You will look round at the hospital and see people in a far worse state, some literally dying, than you. Its worth being prepared for that.

4. The chemo played havoc with my taste buds. Water tasted like petrol and food or drinks I fancied came and went whimsically but all of that is just a phase and thirty years later donner kebabs and cheesy chips are back at the top of the menu.

Good luck fella. You will be in the best possible hands.
Hugely helpful to read, many thanks. I’ll buy you a donner and cheesy chips when I get through it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here