Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Luton Airport fire

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
And surely when it's fully charged, it just shuts off, therefore not generating any more heat to, er, overheat?
Indeed. In fact in a Tesla you only normally charge to 80% unless going on a long trip as this preserves the battery. You leave it plugged in all the time though. Mine has yet to catch fire in the three and a half years I have owned it!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Indeed. In fact in a Tesla you only normally charge to 80% unless going on a long trip as this preserves the battery. You leave it plugged in all the time though. Mine has yet to catch fire in the three and a half years I have owned it!
I find the anti-EV mob (yeah, I'm calling them a mob) will say literally anything negative about battery cars to make themselves feel better, whether it's true or not (spoiler alert, a lot of the time it's not). Clearly it's not a perfect solution, but the level of opposition to BEVs (and even plug-in hybrids) from some people is hilarious.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are charging stations but they are in Car Park 1, not 2.

London Luton offers six Tesla charger points, and four type 2 points that can be used by the public. These are located on the 2nd floor of Terminal Car Park 1.

Reactions: GOM

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
amazing how the start of the fire is known before its even put out or investigated.
Though you'd have thought they're not short of CCTV at an airport.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I find the anti-EV mob (yeah, I'm calling them a mob) will say literally anything negative about battery cars to make themselves feel better, whether it's true or not (spoiler alert, a lot of the time it's not). Clearly it's not a perfect solution, but the level of opposition to BEVs (and even plug-in hybrids) from some people is hilarious.
I get what you are saying and agree to an extent. It's not the concept of EV per se that I find so tragic, it is the implementation and ignorance of the real issue, which is car use. Massive great fast/powerful EV's because that is the status that folk want - that is the problem. It should all be about reducing car use, making use of what we have and not making new whilst beefing up public transport systems and cycling/walking routes/facilities. The EV vehicle push is just folk sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring the problem, causing destruction elsewhere all for the glory of commerce.

Its the car mob that is the problem.

But yes, in this instance/thread it is jump straight in regardless of the facts, guilty as charged!!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
It was a diesel car. I know the link is the Daily Star but contains a direct quote from the Chief Fire Officer of Beds Fire Brigade.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
My immediate though too. Very rare for ICV to catch fire when parked, running cars with fuel or oil leaks yes.

Will it be the EV that started the fire that is the focus or the ICVs that provided the fire load.

To protect car manufacturers it will be the latter I'd have thought. Can't halt progress!

Massive jump to that conclusion obviously but will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hoping that the initial fire was enough warning for everyone to get well clear.
Everyone jumping on the EV caused it with no evidence whatsoever. It may be that vehicle zero was an EV but ICV are far more likely to catch fire than an EV.

Regarding car park fires have we all forgotten this one in Liverpool a few years ago destroyed 1400 cars in a multi-storey caused by an ICE vehicle.

Last edited:

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I get what you are saying and agree to an extent. It's not the concept of EV per se that I find so tragic, it is the implementation and ignorance of the real issue, which is car use. Massive great fast/powerful EV's because that is the status that folk want - that is the problem. It should all be about reducing car use, making use of what we have and not making new whilst beefing up public transport systems and cycling/walking routes/facilities. The EV vehicle push is just folk sticking their heads in the sand and ignoring the problem, causing destruction elsewhere all for the glory of commerce.

Its the car mob that is the problem.

But yes, in this instance/thread it is jump straight in regardless of the facts, guilty as charged!!
I agree that car use needs addressing, even as someone who works in the automotive industry, the whole 'rise of the EVs' message doesn't sit quite rightly with me. Trouble is, people are never going to give up their private transport, regardless of what powers it. Even if people don't have their own vehicle, they'll use taxis more to get wherever they need to. Public transport can only do so much, even if it was the best network in the world.

I was having that very conversation about the amount of power in EVs the other day. It's really impressive for a while, until you realise that it eats into the car's range and, let's face it, such high speeds are largely pointless in the congested/pothole-filled roads around the UK.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
It was a diesel car. I know the link is the Daily Star but contains a direct quote from the Chief Fire Officer of Beds Fire Brigade.

That's the trouble with those pesky diesel EVs – ALWAYS catching fire...

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Just seen a video that suggests it was a Range Rover that started the fire...

Which means that the OUTRAGE will switch from the anti-EV mob to the anti-SUV mob. Even though it's an Evoque, not a 'proper' Range Rover. :lol:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Just seen a video that suggests it was a Range Rover that started the fire...

Which means that the OUTRAGE will switch from the anti-EV mob to the anti-SUV mob. Even though it's an Evoque, not a 'proper' Range Rover. :lol:
Just wait until the driver is found to have a darkish skin tone and the terrorist claims emerge

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here