[News] Luton Airport fire

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I wonder if it’s an electric car that caused this.

Selfishly, at least it’s occurred now and not In November for the Ajax game. Sounds like flights will resume later today.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Selfishly, at least it’s occurred now and not In November for the Ajax game. Sounds like flights will resume later today.
My immediate though too. Very rare for ICV to catch fire when parked, running cars with fuel or oil leaks yes.

Will it be the EV that started the fire that is the focus or the ICVs that provided the fire load.

To protect car manufacturers it will be the latter I'd have thought. Can't halt progress!

Massive jump to that conclusion obviously but will be interesting to see how this pans out.

Hoping that the initial fire was enough warning for everyone to get well clear.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I have also wondered if it was an electric car - we just had this case in Cornwall where an electric van caught fire and burnt down the house it was parked outside:

I am a big advocate of electric cars, so the manufacturers better bloody well get this sorted as soon as possible, whether or not its the cause of the Luton fire

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

That thought had crossed my mind.
I feel for the passengers, no flight, nowhere to stay, and possibly lost their car.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
No flights until 3pm at the earliest.
4 firefighters and a civilian taken to hospital with smoke inhalation.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
I have also wondered if it was an electric car - we just had this case in Cornwall where an electric van caught fire and burnt down the house it was parked outside:

I am a big advocate of electric cars, so the manufacturers better bloody well get this sorted as soon as possible, whether or not its the cause of the Luton fire
Brilliant photo! What's the opposite of 'say cheese'

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Is it just that the nature of the EV beast meaning this will always be a risk? I would imagine autosuppression systems will start being implemented to counter the problem. It's going to be interesting to see how this whole EV drive works through. A real shame they don't focus on reducing/stopping new car sales, reducing car use and significantly improving public transport systems (doing the last bit first of course).

We need weaning off car use, not substituting it with massive EV's that cause different environemntal impacts

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

According to sources from the emergency services, the source of the fire is from the Tesla charge point on the top floor of the car park, where an electric car was left on charge and overheated causing the lithium battery to explode.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

According to sources from the emergency services, the source of the fire is from the Tesla charge point on the top floor of the car park, where an electric car was left on charge and overheated causing the lithium battery to explode.
There isn’t a Tesla supercharger at Luton 🤷.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Ignore

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
amazing how the start of the fire is known before its even put out or investigated.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here