Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Lukaku - Retrospective Action

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Can't quite work out how he has got away with this one..

The explanation as I understand it, is that he would have received a yellow card for the offence, if it had been seen at the time. He wouldn't have been sent off, therefore it isn't worthy of a ban.

We are so incensed because even though it was a yellow card offence, it should have been a free kick to us, instead of it leading to a goal.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The explanation as I understand it, is that he would have received a yellow card for the offence, if it had been seen at the time. He wouldn't have been sent off, therefore it isn't worthy of a ban.

We are so incensed because even though it was a yellow card offence, it should have been a free kick to us, instead of it leading to a goal.
You've seen an explanation? Please give details! Sauce?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When VAR eventually comes in will it refer back to such incidents to allow or disallow a goal as in rugby where the lead up to a try is taken into account looking for infringements.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
When VAR eventually comes in will it refer back to such incidents to allow or disallow a goal as in rugby where the lead up to a try is taken into account looking for infringements.

Of course it will! What did you think it would be for?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Of course it will! What did you think it would be for?

It is all dependant on how deep and how far they go back to watch it. In the case of a try they could have decided that the ref gave a corner and that was wrong but would they go back that far as it is all part of the build up to the goal. What if the ball that lead to the corner was the result of an offside or foul or a throw in given the wrong way? As I say how fare back will they go back. It opens a can of worms.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It is all dependant on how deep and how far they go back to watch it. In the case of a try they could have decided that the ref gave a corner and that was wrong but would they go back that far as it is all part of the build up to the goal. What if the ball that lead to the corner was the result of an offside or foul or a throw in given the wrong way? As I say how fare back will they go back. It opens a can of worms.

Okay - I understand your point, now.

If the German current use of VAR is an example, then they would not look at anything prior to the corner being taken, but the Lukaku foul on Bong would 100% have been sufficient cause to disallow the goal (even if they had called for the VAR in order to look at something else).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

If the German current use of VAR is an example, then they would not look at anything prior to the corner being taken, but the Lukaku foul on Bong would 100% have been sufficient cause to disallow the goal (even if they had called for the VAR in order to look at something else).

Just a point but how many times do we concede a goal and when talking to a mate you agree it all came about because Stephens Propper or AK got dispossessed or lost the ball near the half way line.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Since when was kicking a player or kicking out at a player, twice, just a booking?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Just a point but how many times do we concede a goal and when talking to a mate you agree it all came about because Stephens Propper or AK got dispossessed or lost the ball near the half way line.

Every goal scored in the history of football, barring those created directly from kick-off, have 'come about' because possession has been lost at some point.

But goals scored directly through a loss of possession by the three you mention are pretty rare, I'd suggest.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Best take Lukaku losing the plot as a compliment to the way he was nullified by our defense. Should have got a ban but it was sheer frustration on his part which only fills me with confidence in our defending abilities.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Did any of our players or club staff appeal at the time? Even if VAR was available, would they have been looking at the Lukaku kicks?

Of course, I guess it would have prompted Bong to appeal.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Did any of our players or club staff appeal at the time? Even if VAR was available, would they have been looking at the Lukaku kicks?

Of course, I guess it would have prompted Bong to appeal.

A couple of ours appealed for offside (Lukaku was in an offside position, I think), so suspect they'd have checked it for that, but then spotted and acted on the kick.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs

I was interested by the way the video was used in the England-Tonga RL game. The ref asked for the video to review specifics, e.g. was a player blocked in the play that lead to the try? I concede I do not know enough about their rules but it did look very specific.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Every goal scored in the history of football, barring those created directly from kick-off, have 'come about' because possession has been lost at some point.

But goals scored directly through a loss of possession by the three you mention are pretty rare, I'd suggest.

I was just using them as an example but I do not think they are that rare especially around the centre circle. Dont ask me which games but I am reasonably sure it has happened a couple of times at The Amex this season already.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007

We had 2 players sent off (Barnes & Vincelot) in 12 minutes, which reduced us to 9 men against Burnley in December 2011.

A straight red shown to Vincelot for violent conduct in an off the ball incident that everyone seemed to miss, except for the 4th official, which Vincelot was even left confused over what he was supposed to have done. (think he was watching the ball and knocked into one of their players accidentally, but may be thinking of another player and incident) Whatever he did, it was a lot less than trying to kick an opposition player not once, but twice in quick succession so either the rules have been changed and violent conduct off the ball is no longer a red card offense, or Lukaku has been let off the hook big time by the suggestion that if seen, it would only be a yellow card offense

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here