Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Loyalty

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I guess the OPs point is that there are examples of other clubs that have stuck behind an under fire manager and it has come good. Big Sam at West Ham, Pardew at Newcastle, etc.... and after a period of struggle, they have started to go well again at their respective clubs and long term they could have been seen to benefit from sticking by them, so can Sami be the next one to work out in this fashion?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
They certainly have ****ed up. But the fact that on the pitch he's turned (crucially) an excellent defence & decent team into a demoralised rabble is very, very much his fault.
Something was very wrong before he came but with him as manager, we're going down. It won't even be close
If talking about this season alone, it's only recently the fans have turned in greater numbers against Sami (constant demands for him to go, vocalisation at games, threads poling us on whether he should go, etc) Can this have contributed to the down turn in fortunes? Players play for the manager, so if the fans don't back the manager, should the players continue to play for him?

Is it also down to the lack of wins? and the draining effect that must have on motivation, especially if you have been playing well as a side but not getting the wins that it could be argued the performances deserved? A few wins in a row and who knows (but it is getting hard to see where this run of wins will come from)

If referring to recent seasons and transforming that team into a rabble, then its hardly fair to balme him when a lot of the squad decisions would have been made before he was appointed and the majority that left the club at the end of last season could well have been down to Garcia who had drawn up and submitted the retained list long before deciding to quit (and the new players could have been more to Garcia's liking than the old squad)

If they were to sack him now, it would mean yet another transfer window without a manager deciding who we should be signing and again relying on Burke and co to blindly try to recruit for a new managers desires without that manager being in place when a lot of the ground work on this process would have to be done

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I've nothing against Sammi and yes showing a degree of loyalty in this day and age is very admirable. My concern though is my complete lack of confidence in his ability to change our fortunes around. Team selection and tactics have been really poor (far too many changes and never a consistent settled side), and I honestly don't feel like we are just about 'to turn the corner' and hammer somebody. If we are lucky enough to get a win at some point I can't help but feel it might be like the Wigan game and a fortunate 1-0.

If things don't change in the next couple of games the reality of survival (which in my eyes means we need something like 51 or 52 points) will require us to get the equivalent of at least 11 wins in the second half of the season - that's practically winning every other game. However much I would love this to happen the pragmatic side of me says it just won't - 3 wins in the first half of the season - 11 from the second half ? Very unlikely. Please prove me wrong!

Gullys Cats

Sausage by the sea!!!
Nov 27, 2010
NSC
We had a better manager last season shame the club didn't show him loyalty and back him to the hilt.

This is not 100% true, Ulloa in the team and you'd be looking at mid table this season.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
This is not 100% true, Ulloa in the team and you'd be looking at mid table this season.

Are you sure about that?

Our lot couldn't beat an egg right now-with or without Ulloa. Poor sod, when he comes to watch us he must wonder the hell has happened to this club in 6/7 months.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
If talking about this season alone, it's only recently the fans have turned in greater numbers against Sami (constant demands for him to go, vocalisation at games, threads poling us on whether he should go, etc) Can this have contributed to the down turn in fortunes? Players play for the manager, so if the fans don't back the manager, should the players continue to play for him?

Is it also down to the lack of wins? and the draining effect that must have on motivation, especially if you have been playing well as a side but not getting the wins that it could be argued the performances deserved? A few wins in a row and who knows (but it is getting hard to see where this run of wins will come from)

If referring to recent seasons and transforming that team into a rabble, then its hardly fair to balme him when a lot of the squad decisions would have been made before he was appointed and the majority that left the club at the end of last season could well have been down to Garcia who had drawn up and submitted the retained list long before deciding to quit (and the new players could have been more to Garcia's liking than the old squad)

If they were to sack him now, it would mean yet another transfer window without a manager deciding who we should be signing and again relying on Burke and co to blindly try to recruit for a new managers desires without that manager being in place when a lot of the ground work on this process would have to be done

Hello Sami
:bigwave:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The board know they've stitched him with Burke's abysmal players, he'll get some quality players in January and we'll see the season turn around.

This is all assuming, of course, that "quality players" want to come to a club in a relegation scrap, with an awful atmosphere at home games and a board only willing to pay pretty low wages?

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex

Now we know the thinking inside the club - Sami will get us out of the hole dug by Oscar! Of course he will, of course............

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Its not so much loyalty, its the fact the 2 managers left in 2 years and the club are worried that if we loose a 3rd in 3 years all managers will be hesitant to take a job with us. Add that to the fact that bloom doesn't want to have to pay him off, with ffp coming into it.
then there's the im the boss not you customers mind set from bloom from the crowd reaction.

Where is your have evidence to support all this, or are you just guessing?

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
I do wonder if we put less effort into coming up with funny insults and more into just cheering on the team, the boss and the club if a feel good factor may in part return and help push on.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I do wonder if we put less effort into coming up with funny insults and more into just cheering on the team, the boss and the club if a feel good factor may in part return and help push on.

Ding! "Now that they've stopped calling for me to leave after one win in four months, I'll be sure to pick a midfield and show a semblance of leadership."

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
I am backing Sami Hyypia to become one of our best-ever managers.

Tony Bloom has done the honourable thing in backing his manager.

We are not Reading, or any other tinpot outfit that dumps its manager at the first sign of adversity.

We are Brighton.

Tony Bloom is Brighton.

Sami Hyypia is Brighton.

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
I am backing Sami Hyypia to become one of our best-ever managers.

Tony Bloom has done the honourable thing in backing his manager.

We are not Reading, or any other tinpot outfit that dumps its manager at the first sign of adversity.

We are Brighton.

Tony Bloom is Brighton.

Sami Hyypia is Brighton.

I admire your optimism but do you have a single shred of evidence to back this up because I've not seen one since day one.
Love to be proved wrong but really?

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
There is a huge part of me that wants the Albion to stick with Sami just to prove us all wrong, reward loyalty and to show that the Albion do things differently to every other club who sack their manager at the first sign of trouble. For that reason, I'm hoping against hope that he will turn it around but sadly I do still think the time has come for a change if only because the prospect of relegation is real.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here