Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower league Pompey

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
Or the FL could call an EGM to vote on expulsion but I dont think administration will happen this time around and the creditors will get nothing (HMRC will see £35M disappear) when Pompey go into liquidation

If they don't file for administration ahead of the hearing that is a very real possibility

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Wouldn't it be ironic timing, if on the 20th, Redknapp & Mandaric were to be found guilty of 'dodgy arithmetic' re their finances & Pompey were to be wound up?

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Football League would try very hard not to put Pompey out of business because of the disruption it would cause. For example, what would they do to replace them ? Promote the top four League One teams ? That would make a mockery of the play offs. relegate only two Championship teams ? Can't see many League 1 teams being happy with that either.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Their current structural debts are far greater than their assets, plus they are not generating enough income to cover day to day operating costs. Fratton Park has a 'sports use only' condition placed on it by the local authority so can't readily be developed in any multi use way to attract a developer.

Their only hope is to find another billionaire with more money than financial sense who will clear their debts and somehow find them a new ground and rebuild their squad. Doesn't seem likely to say the least.

This all makes it difficult to see how they will get out of their predicament as they are in a vicious downward spiral that could become terminal at some point. The Pompey scenario makes the Greek economy seem like a model of business efficiency.

My sympathy for the core of genuine Pompey fans is dwindling as they don't seem to be publicly campaigning to resurrect their club or trying to get the rest of footie on their side in a Fans United way. I particularly abhorr their cowboy fans who seem happy to turn a blind eye to any sort of ethical approach to running the club, seem happy to get in another faceless and dubious foreign owner, get a stay of execution from HMRC and chuck a couple of £m (that they don't have) on players in the delusion they deserve to be in the play offs. The people I do have symnpathy for are the creditors and backroom staff who real casualties in this sorry saga. Hope it gets properly sorted for their sake.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton
Football League would try very hard not to put Pompey out of business because of the disruption it would cause. For example, what would they do to replace them ? Promote the top four League One teams ? That would make a mockery of the play offs. relegate only two Championship teams ? Can't see many League 1 teams being happy with that either.

Believe precedent is to only relegate two teams, it's the fairest and simplest solution.

If a Pompey fan run club were to come in at the Conference Premier (likely given their fanbase and the changing of the regs post Wimbledon) I'm not quite sure what happens then to create the space in the league.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Let an extra club come up from the Conference. Would be nicely ironic if a phoenix club like Wrexham take Pompey's place in the 92.

AFC Pompey (or whoever) should have to earn their right to FL status after a few years in the Conference. Seems harsh but Footie needs to clamp down on rogue owners.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Believe precedent is to only relegate two teams, it's the fairest and simplest solution.

If a Pompey fan run club were to come in at the Conference Premier (likely given their fanbase and the changing of the regs post Wimbledon) I'm not quite sure what happens then to create the space in the league.

Every league shuffles up one place to the point where they join?

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
If I were a Pompey fan the bit in that article that would REALLY scare me would be :

"One way or another I'm going to get my money back” Balram Chainrai

I'd be very surprised if they dodge the bullet this time and TBH the whole of football needs a "shock" like this to wake up.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
If I were a Pompey fan the bit in that article that would REALLY scare me would be :

"One way or another I'm going to get my money back” Balram Chainrai

I'd be very surprised if they dodge the bullet this time and TBH the whole of football needs a "shock" like this to wake up.

Yes, football clubs have been taking the p*ss for years financially, relying upon football debts taking preference over other debts and then falling back on the Admin route. I still can't understand how so soon after their big debt clearing admin Pompey are so deep in debt again... well, that's not true - it's obvious how they got here again.. by not learning from their previous mistakes.

tubaman

Nov 2, 2009
I just feel sorry for their creditors again. The demise of Pompey could be the loss of a business or their homes.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I just feel sorry for their creditors again. The demise of Pompey could be the loss of a business or their homes.

Is there no way that the FA with their millions could not help out the creditors on a preferential scale in revers ie small businees owed a few thousand who could go out of business paid from the FA proceeds from the FA Cup. Part of the deal is that the club are expelled from the FL. Tough but would make other clubs think a bit. A lot of clubs us included could probably stand the loss of revenue of away tickets but a smallbusiness couldnt stand their loss. Just using us an example if in that situation could piglets pie stand it if we didnt pay them.

Betfair Bozo

Jul 24, 2007
Recent Pompey reaction has me confused somewhat. Appleton said it'd be ridiculous to sell Pearce, Ward and Henderson while they were unable to bring players in. But the money offered by Ipswich would have covered their unpaid tax bill. I can only assume there is much more to it than that otherwise it seems a no brainer doesn't it?

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I think they are gambling on a championship club being worth more than a league 1 club

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Recent Pompey reaction has me confused somewhat. Appleton said it'd be ridiculous to sell Pearce, Ward and Henderson while they were unable to bring players in. But the money offered by Ipswich would have covered their unpaid tax bill. I can only assume there is much more to it than that otherwise it seems a no brainer doesn't it?

They have yet to notice the huge elephant in the room...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Isnt Appleton only concerned with getting a team out to perform each week and is leaving the other problems to other people and assumes they will sort it out.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I read the Portsmouth Evening News on Saturday night - and the back page was about how pleased Appleton was lose only one player in the window, and page 2 was Andronikou (not sure why j is involved as they are not in administration are they ?) saying how disappointed he was they did not make the expected sales. It sounds like the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. As if we did not know - it is a mess. And it is HMRC and the taxpayer that will pick up the tab.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Anyone doing business with Portsmouth FC and not asking for Pro Forma payment is a bloody fool.

That is very hard as a small printing firm for example if offered a large proportion lof work by PFC woulkd possibly get paid each time and then aftera few jobs thay would ask for credit and if you were doing the work and getting paid would probabaly agree.

When I worked for a stocktaking company, some years ago, we had a contract witha large hotel group who owed the small company, 5 employees, 30k and kept the men working 2 weeks a month. Each month the boss contacted the company and they sent a cheque for £5k but the work we did was worth £6k and the boss couldnt afford to stop doing the work as the businees would have folded or he would have had to lay off staff and then couldnt fulfill his obligations on the other 2 weeks a month.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here