Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Love the Goldfish, hate the water....

tronnogull

May 17, 2010
In another thread @attila said about the Albion and football that he felt like someone who had a pet goldfish he had loved for years and still loves but that now he despises the water his fish is swimming in.

This sums it up exactly for me. I'm addicted to the Albion but despair of the Premier League, and professional football generally, environment.

Infinitely rich owners who treat clubs as playthings, owners who are definitely not fit to own, clubs who can buy any player/manager/coach/physio/tea boy they like due to irresistible remuneration, agents at the trough, money driving the expansion of European football at the expense of domestic schedule and cup competitions, tv companies driving the fixture list at short notice and with zero regard for the fans, international breaks for almost meaningless matches, fifa corruption, ridiculous corrupt world cup in Qatar, cheating and diving by contemptible players, picking up European habits like drums, continuous whistling when opposition have the ball, and flares, VAR sucking the joy out of the game in so many ways...........

That's my list off the top of my head.....I'm sure I've missed some. I'm also sure that everyone's list will be different. But a lot of people will agree with Attila and feel that the water is toxic.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
In another thread Attila said about the Albion and football that he felt like someone who had a pet goldfish he had loved for years and still loves but that now he despises the water his fish is swimming in.

This sums it up exactly for me. I'm addicted to the Albion but despair of the Premier League, and professional football generally, environment.

Infinitely rich owners who treat clubs as playthings, owners who are definitely not fit to own, clubs who can buy any player/manager/coach/physio/tea boy they like due to irresistible remuneration,
agents at the trough, money driving the expansion of European football at the expense of domestic schedule and cup competitions, tv companies driving the fixture list at short notice and with zero regard for the fans, international breaks for almost meaningless matches, fifa corruption, ridiculous corrupt world cup in Qatar, cheating and diving by contemptible players, picking up European habits like drums, continuous whistling when opposition have the ball, and flares, VAR sucking the joy out of the game in so many ways...........

That's my list off the top of my head.....I'm sure I've missed some. I'm also sure that everyone's list will be different. But a lot of people will agree with Attila and feel that the water is toxic.
Can't argue with any of that. I love the Albion because it is the football team that represents the town of my birth and where I grew up. It is an extension of my identity.

But what is happening in football is an example of what happening in the world in general, the greed and success generarated by trampling over people or organisatons that do not have the means to prevent it.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Yeah agree with most of that. We spent several years trying to get out of the Championship and of course don't want to go back there but I can't really say I enjoy the Premier League. The worst aspect for me is VAR. This has really sucked any remaining joy out of the game and quite often it still doesn't feel like the decision has gone the right way.
I keep going because I enjoy going with my son and we have been going together for 23 years but If he said he didn't want to go anymore I wouldn't be heartbroken.

B-right-on

Living the dream
Apr 23, 2015
Shoreham Beaaaach
I think that football is a microcosm of the entire first world capitalism and what's wrong with it.

Football is different with buying players etc.. But there's still the underlying problem with the people at the top having so much money that, at the end of the day, they can do what the F they want.

I am a capitalist. I've worked for myself for over 20 years, but what the top bankers etc... earn and do makes me want to :sick:

Just like the owners of Chelsea, Newcastle etc .

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
In another thread Attila said about the Albion and football that he felt like someone who had a pet goldfish he had loved for years and still loves but that now he despises the water his fish is swimming in.

Infinitely rich owners who treat clubs as playthings, owners who are definitely not fit to own, clubs who can buy any player/manager/coach/physio/tea boy they like due to irresistible remuneration,
agents at the trough, money driving the expansion of European football at the expense of domestic schedule and cup competitions, tv companies driving the fixture list at short notice and with zero regard for the fans, international breaks for almost meaningless matches, fifa corruption, ridiculous corrupt world cup in Qatar, cheating and diving by contemptible players, picking up European habits like drums, continuous whistling when opposition have the ball, and flares, VAR sucking the joy out of the game in so many ways...........

What a great analogy.

I just wonder when its all going to blow up?

But we've been saying that for years, back in the dark days of 93-97 with the Co-op bank, Goldstone sale et al, I did a funeral for a senior member of staff of Lloyds Bank, he said all the 4 main High Street banks were sitting back reluctant to foreclose on a club from the higher echelons of donestic football; because they didn't want to alienate various fan bases.

Bearing in mind 25 years on the High St Bank branches are as rare as rocking horse shit, is this a game changer or has football effectively become a money laundering tool for foreign nationals?

How many clubs in the EPL and Championship would be on the brink without a rich foreign or domestic backer?

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I get the general sentiment because football is changing into something different and becoming less and less connected to – and important to – the hardcore fans who fill the stadiums. But I also think that, through a specific chain of events, fans are looking at this situation under a microscope, whereas I'm more inclined to look at the bigger picture.

In 10, 20 and certainly 50 years' time, the past few months will be a minor blip on the club's history. NO WAY does it compare with losing the club's home, risking going out of the league and/or business or even getting to the Premier League. This isn't meant to be a 'perspective'-type post, but teams lose managers and staff all the time. They are replaced and everyone else moves on. Same with players. I'm guessing the calmest people connected with the club right now are TB and PB, because they have the information and plans to enable the club to carry on with minimal disruption.

Personally, I cannot wait to get Saturday out of the way, so it brings an end to the endless rambling about the reception that Potter and co get and the hand-wringing about Chelsea 'asset-stripping' the club. I mean, really? Asset-stripping? Come on!

Yes, I've probably got an outlook on football and the Albion that some 'proper' fans don't agree with or even attempt to understand. But I also recognise that – as has been demonstrated recently – if you let it get under your skin THAT much, it's not good for your mental or physical health.

I get the passion – I even get the 'need' to boo people when they come back – but I also get that when we look back to these months in, say 2042, some fans will struggle to even remember the 'turmoil' that a former manager apparently caused.

Totally get the thing about VAR, though. That is one failed experiment that needs to be consigned to the bin.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Don't worry about it. In the next 18 months or so we may find ourselves relegated and back in 'cleaner' water.

Be careful what you wish for.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
A repeat of Hereford looms in four years time.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Don't worry about it. In the next 18 months or so we may find ourselves relegated and back in 'cleaner' water.

Seriously old boy?

Despite this blip I think De Zerbi is the right man for the job and another Top finish is on the cards.

Ironically the last time I had real thoughts of relegation was the game beceom the first Covid lock down when we lost 1-0 to a crap Palace side at home, I thought, and little did we know what was coming, that we were tailspinning into The Championship

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Reckon the best way to cope if it really concerns you is to don yer Psychic Premier League Noise-Cancelling Headphones, treat the media circus hoopla bollox with the contempt it deserves and just treat it as Going To Football, same as we always did. Few beers with mates, cheer on 11 guys in the stripes, go home and largely forget about it til next time. Cerrainly not worth beating yourself - or anybody else - up over things you have no control over

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia

I said exactly the same thing a year or two ago. Getting to the promised land was amazing but being up there hasn't really been fun, interesting or exciting bar a few big scalps. Aside from everything mentioned, the behaviour of players is something else I find abhorrent in modern day football and the deluded nature of fans in the Prem is beyond ridiculous. I love the club but have found myself drifting further and further away from "football" over the last 4.6 years.

I actually welcome the European Super League as it'll weed out the more toxic clubs and players.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Would this thread exist if Potter had stayed and were still top four? The downer is because we all had a good feeling about this season and it blew up on us. I have a hunch RDZ will prove better than Potter once it’s running smoothly and he has some of his own signings in.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
For those who watched the Albion through the shitty end times at the Goldstone, Priestfield and Withdean it's just part of getting older and missing the drama of that era imho. I feel very lucky to have lived and watched through those times. Younger fans won't feel it, obviously. The biggest threat to my enjoyment of "these waters" is VAR, a fundamental change and an absolute disaster. (VAR is only not-a-problem for those tv fans who aren't fully invested).

Popeye

I Don't Exercise
Nov 12, 2021
North Carolina USA
I decided a long time ago to not get overly distraught when a team I root for has a bad game, has a bad injury, etc. More important things in life to get worried about. Don't get me wrong, I do get frustrated, but not as bad as I used too(I remember going out to my backyard when I was in high school with a shovel to dig a grave for myself because Carolina basketball lost in the tournament...so yeah lol).

We all love the Albion and they are an important part of our lives, and yes VAR, billionaires not really caring about the fans, etc is slowly ruining the game but the Seagulls will always be here regardless and that is the main thing.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The football is secondary for me - I get to spend the day with my son who, now that he's flown the nest, I don't see as often as I'd like. Few drinks with friends - it's far more about the day that the football these days.

I do love the actual football we are playing, but detest the money that's in the game, VAR and the fact you have clubs owned by countries.

The day Bloom goes and we're owned by a Chinese/Thai/American/Russian etc. I'm out.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I actually welcome the European Super League as it'll weed out the more toxic clubs and players.
Weirdly, now, in hindsight I wish they'd just f*** off now, go form the super league, let us get on with a competetive and fairer professional footballing competition.
FIFA/UEFA said they wouldn't tolerate or recognise the Super League, so if the teams go and do it, the rest of us will still have the Premier League, FA Cup, League Cup, Champions League, etc, and we could well have a shout of winning one or more of them.

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
For those who watched the Albion through the shitty end times at the Goldstone, Priestfield and Withdean it's just part of getting older and missing the drama of that era imho. I feel very lucky to have lived and watched through those times. Younger fans won't feel it, obviously. The biggest threat to my enjoyment of "these waters" is VAR, a fundamental change and an absolute disaster. (VAR is only not-a-problem for those tv fans who aren't fully invested).
I really don't miss that drama. Having a stable club is all I could ever have dreamed of.
Yes we're in some horrible water but we are a goldfish that doesn't forget and is a little bit different. I revel in the way we act and the way we are run as a club.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Yes, I have loved our time in the PL, especially post-CH (as brilliant as he was for the club). It's the audacity of us taking on 'bigger' (or dirtier) clubs, of challenging them despite the fact that our finances are dwarfed by their dirty lucre, and that Bloom and his merry gang have to find other ways than that filthy lucre to compete with them and, at times, out-compete them. To be able to watch Caicedo, Ali Mac, Tross, etc in my local club's colours is a sheer joy.
That said, it's not just the filthy lucre and the filthy operatives in the PL, the Championship is a much more interesting competition although, it's worth noting, that most clubs get into debt trying to get into the PL with its out-sized prize money just for getting the gig.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
During the Gillingham and to a extent the Withdean years I remember going to places like Port Vale and Ipswich and feeling incredibly envious of their stadiums infact I can't remember visiting one ground and not wishing someday we'll have a ground like this.

I remember the first game at the Amex v Doncaster like it was yesterday,I was in Dreamland,my next wish is to be in a European competition before I pop my clogs, hopefully I'll still be able to go to Transylvania on a Thursday night by the time it happens but happen it will, we've come too far for this incredible journey to fall short of Mr Blooms ultimate vision for our club.

We need to get tougher and stop letting the rich kids approach then steal our assets for a couple of seasons and we will get there.

When we do make it could someone give me a lift please,I'll chip in for the electricity.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here