Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost the passion?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
D'ya know what, Dave? I have a feeling that, even if the Albion got promoted to the Premier League and managed to survive without getting relegated, I'd be concerned that the rumblings weren't being dealt with. It's not just about success or failure on the pitch. It's about the relationships that are getting distorted and the old trust that seems to be in decline. You're an ex-manager of the REMF football squad, are you not? This year, Paul Barber takes over that role. Tell me honestly ... do you think he is motivated by the same feelings that you had when you did the job?

It pains me to say this, but the thought that is uppermost in my mind is a cynical one ... He must be up to something, but I don't know what it is. I'd like to think he's just a decent bloke, supporting a good cause, but ...

Sorry.

Scenario A
Paul Barber is asked to get involved with the REMF game but politely declines, citing pressures of work and other commitments. He'd get a slagging from people claiming he doesn't understand the ethos of the club and its supporters, is out of touch, remote and is pissing on the heart and soul of the club.

Scenario B
Paul Barber is asked to get involved with the REMF game and accepts. He still gets a slagging from people questioning his motives for doing so - which I happen to believe is a pretty low thing to say and not what I ever expected to read from Ed.

Paul Barber is a professional administrator, hired to run a multi-million pound business. He never claimed to be a supporter and never will be. He's a highly paid employee and frankly is doing a better job than most of our other highly paid employees who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a ****ing banjo.

wilko1

Feb 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yes this season has been poor, yes this season has seen errors in recruitment, but the great thing about supporting your team is that each new season means that the slate can be wiped clean....not much else in life can offer this opportunity
I have seen 50 such reincarnations...and each August offers renewed hope
We are a different model now, I understand the need for change, for me I am grateful for what we have now, I don't want a return to the past, perhaps a more corporate way is the price we pay these days.....but I was always passionate, and will remain passionate about my club.
I think the long term model that TB is aiming for is one that will bring long term success, I am sure he would admit to making errors this season, but it is one season.......and hope that like all of us who we experience set backs at times, that we use this to learn and move forward to better times ahead

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I gave up when the club started paying players more than the Prime Minister's annual salary.

I don't think footballers should earn that much and i have withdrawn my support.

Not the clubs fault though is it? It's the sign of the times. Football in this country is a rip off.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Not the clubs fault though is it? It's the sign of the times. Football in this country is a rip off.

Absolutely. I've voted with my feet and viewing power. I have no desire to fund such a monstrosity.

Granted, I do that elsewhere, but I have a clear choice in football and I don't wish to be part of that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I had a thought yesterday that maybe we did it on the cheap this season to save up some cash to have a real big go next season . with the 1901 renewals up maybe bloom was hoping to tread water this season before having a big blast next season.. Anyone else thought this or am I just hoping?

The prospect of the 1901ers not renewing is probably the biggest single incentive for the club to pull their finger out and 'have a real big go next season'.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I don't think the problems are as bad as all that. Hypothetically, if the team for next season looked like this the place would be buzzing:

Walton, Bruno, Dunk, McShane, Ward, Ince, Kayal, Sidwell, E. Bennett, Zamora, March.

Obviously that's wishful thinking but the point is about having a core of young players and the rest who know the club and would give a sh1t.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
Typical end of season post, nothing to play for and still games left, with the standard of play a bit like an unwanted hangover.
I think that Rotherham are the only team in the bottom who could still go down, instead of Millwall.
Maybe CH is actually treating this as a pre preseason, looking at the rotation and the chances given.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
There must be something wrong with as I simply do not feel patronised, spun at or abused by this football club at all. In fact the total opposite. Given the utter car crash of a season we've had I get the impression the club are keen to keep me on as a supporter. It's tough to feel passionate about the team at the moment, I totally get that. Too many loans, and mediocre replacements for the departed. Sadly nothing can be done about that until the summer, so we'll just have to wait.

From a football perspective can't wait for this season to end. Cricket starts today so looking forward to that. I also know that come August I will once again be looking forward to the new season with yet more misguided optimism.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
So what was the superfanclique comment about then?

It was a sarky response to the cynical post 'WTF has Paul Barber got to do with the REMF', which makes it sound like an exclusive club instead of a charity, and that because he's a suit and not a fan, he's not worthy of giving up his time to help raise some cash.

I am fully aware of what the REMF actually is and its history. Chill out.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Interesting thread.

I've definitely lost something this last 6 months. I've been going to matches since the mid 70s as a youngster and followed us all over the place, went on all the marches, demos meetings etc in the 90s and followed us when the football has been absolute pony. So come Friday morning, after having travelled to Newcastle for Work on Wednesday and back on Thursday, I made the decision not to attend the match for the first time at The Amex as the match was on the box and The Masters was on as well. Not a great decision but the worst thing is I didn't regret the decision as I was watching on the box so something isn't right.

The players have no passion with the odd exception, the tactics aren't great but lets face it how the hell do you play when you haven't got a striker who knows where the net is? The game was like so many before it this season where we played ok (and only ok), created nothing and gave away goals through either stupid errors or mistakes. Pretty boring stuff really, hence the no show decision.

The ring of fire crap gets on my tits too - just let the fans make the atmosphere after GOSBTS.

Saying all that we've renewed again and hope to get the fire back again next season:lolol:

APACHE

LONGTIME DIEHARD
Feb 18, 2011
THE PROMISED LAND-SUSSEX
1969, I stood in the north stand to see my 1st Albion game and since apart from some seasons when I couldn't attend due to work I've followed the Albion through the good and the bad always saying I was a BHA supporter when everyone else was following the so-called glamour teams. Now there seems to be more of us about, known to be BHA supporters, which is great but what strikes me now is something different from what has been before over those many decades, the feeling that many in the club are not really there for the football itself but for what the game provides for them- money. In the past we didn't have the ground, the training ground, the whole set-up but we had the , I call it The Withdean Spirit, the all in it together, now there's all these numerous backroom staff which must cost a small fortune but the club seems to be going backwards. The players seem detactched from the support, a few excluded, and some are just journey men going through the motions and I've seen Albion get relegated a few times with poor teams but they've shown more fight and passion than this squad. I've renewed for next season and I hope most have or will but I still await the confession by the suits that they got it wrong this season.

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Seems to be a lot of debate about the backroom staff on and off the pitch. The income from the club is vast and can't be run by volunteers so it does need professionals running the club and it's finances. Barber has won awards for the way the club is being run so surely those outside the club are looking at The Albion as a flagship on how to run a Football Club.

On NSC we bang on about The Palace and two administrations (£0.01 in the £1.00) I'm delighted that through thick and thin we have never been in this position, I'm sure we came close on several occasions. It pleases me that the Board are trying to run the club as a business and within the rules of FFP, I know that looking at other clubs this might be to our disadvantage but the club have set budgets and clearly want to work within these, sorry but to me this is good business.

This season has been rubbish on the pitch and I often walk out the ground feeling cheated by a complete lack of entertainment but that's the rollercoaster of football. I'm sure the Board are aware that they cocked up pre-season and I'm sure that this will be addressed for next season. Onwards and upwards, the Championship is a competitive division and I see no reason why Houghton can't put together a side to compete as Gus and Oscar did before.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I believe Paul Barber to be getting involved in the REMF for only genuine reasons. He wanted to play his part and has taken the time to research the history of the fund and the importance of the game to both sets of fans and having met him I know it to be a fact he is DESPERATE for the BHAFC supporters to win this match. He has taken a lot of time out of his busy schedule including several evenings to help with the cause and it has raised the profile of the game and the fund still further. He is to be applauded for this IMO

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Scenario A
Paul Barber is asked to get involved with the REMF game but politely declines, citing pressures of work and other commitments. He'd get a slagging from people claiming he doesn't understand the ethos of the club and its supporters, is out of touch, remote and is pissing on the heart and soul of the club.

Scenario B
Paul Barber is asked to get involved with the REMF game and accepts. He still gets a slagging from people questioning his motives for doing so - which I happen to believe is a pretty low thing to say and not what I ever expected to read from Ed.

Paul Barber is a professional administrator, hired to run a multi-million pound business. He never claimed to be a supporter and never will be. He's a highly paid employee and frankly is doing a better job than most of our other highly paid employees who couldn't hit a cow's arse with a ****ing banjo.

Totally agree with this.
I can understand the OP's feelings, yes it does seem to have lost its family values, but in these days of Sky/BT tv money, it had no choice. If you dont run with the pack, you will be left behind with those making up the numbers.
I think the poor season has pissed many off, how can we go from a play off team two seasons on the trot to where we are now?
Some of our former players, Murray, Barnes, Bridcutt, Buckley, Leo are all in the prem, Cook and Elphick are heading there, and we have had to put up with a succesession of loan players who mostly dont seem to give a rats arse about the club as long as they cop their wedge. The fact they are not here now, is IMHO down to an ex egotistical manager who thought he knew better than everyone else.
I think it showed a lot on Friday how low the team morale is with the amount of bickering, accusing looks and pointing that went on when a pass was misplaced between players, especially certain loanees.
The sooner they all go, hopefully after we stay up, and the sooner the team is made up of players with the spirit of Calde, Bruno and Kayel then we might reach a level we have been used to recently.
Hopefully we will have a manager in place at the end of this season, who will be insitu thoughout the close season and pre season for the first time in two seasons
To achieve this, Tony Bloom is going to have to give Hughton a big transfer pot, and he needs to to buy some good players, before pre season so they gell together, cos what we have at the moment is nowhere near that level. To do this, the club has to move forward, so we get back to the OP's sad feeling of losing the identity.
I agree the SBTS words on the screen and the Ring of Fire is crap, almost as bad as goal music.
I can understand the OP's and LB's sadness, but the old days of Dick Knight and his loyal army have to take thier place in the clubs history book.
The club has had to move with the times, and I feel Paul Barber is doing things the correct way, maybe not the most popular way with everyone, but that was inevitable.
It is sad the way he seems to cop so many peoples fury, after all he is only following the owners game plan.

You pays your money, you makes your choice.
Mine is to carry on, and hopefully the people in charge will get it right.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
premiership ready
top six squad
best not to say things like that if you are going to ****-up

Is the right answer. If the ambition which clearly was sell family silver and buy half baked replacements then fine. SAY NOTHING not all this one club one ambition nonsense...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here