Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lost the passion?

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Understand absolutely, Paul. We were always turkeys voting for Christmas when it came to Falmer/The Amex in terms of the corporate way football is run in England. (NB: in England. It doesn't have to be like this, it can be far better in every way, as the German model shows both nationally and internationally. They are aeons ahead of us in all areas: the standing issue, pricing for games and young player development for the national team, which is why they piss all over us at every given opportunity.) But we don't live in Germany. We live here. Me? I'm Brighton till I die. Nothing will destroy my love of the Albion: if Archer, Bellotti and Stanley, couldn't destroy it, I'm damned if I see why 'modern football' should, and it won't. Ever. Cheers, comrade :)

Love this post. Yes, we're a bit shite at the moment and it makes it harder to get excited about going to games (when they cost so much), but have a bit of perspective - football wouldn't be half as fun if teams were good ALL the time.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
I have watched the Albion since. 1963 we have been up and down but I am a brighton fan and will be raring to go next season we gain fans and lose fans that's football. :albion2:

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
The matchday experience has changed beyond all recognition since I started going to games in 1980, some of it for the better, but in terms of "passion", much of it for the worse. Nothing will feel like the connection I felt when we scored in front of the North Stand and we all got washed down the terrace in a surge of ecstatic friends and familiar faces, seeing our players screaming at us with elation, or when we stood toe-to-toe with the old bill as we tried to break back into our ground and reclaim our club from those who would see it die and pocket the loose change.

But I think we are in danger of over analysing the current situation and as such in danger of losing sight of the fact that, as bad in some ways as things seem relatively to those who recall those days, we're still lucky to be fans of a club who do still care, do still try to do things differently (albeit within the constraints of the modern set up), are owned and chaired by a fan rather than a dodgy foreign businessman etc etc. The majority of feedback from genuine football supporters of other clubs who have visited the Amex is positive, recognising the difference between a day out at BHA and a lot of other clubs. There's still a great deal to be proud of, but of course we shouldn't become complacent and the OP has every right to feel the way he does. I felt incredibly deflated last night, as did my brother and mate I go with, but it has been a long, hard, and pretty shit season. I think we have made the right choice in getting someone like CH as manager, a more honest, committed and genuine football manager you'd be hard to find. I believe he will be given competitive funding in order for us to challenge at the right end again next season. We are starting to move in the right direction, and if we had a striker or two who could score now and then we'd have probably won last night. But that's football, that's why I still love the game and will be back on Tuesday night still believing I support the best club on the planet.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
If the rumours I am hearing are true, all those old timers, saying those running the club are too remote from the fans, are going to be left with egg on their faces come Tuesday night.

1 More song lyrics will be put up on the big screens. During the highlights of the women's football the words to "get your tits out for the lads", will appear along the bottom of the big screens.
2 As a one off, the u-bends will be removed from all the urinals in the North Stand, so once again fans can experience the joy of piss stains on their shoes.

smiler

Jan 12, 2006
Shoreham by Sea
If the rumours I am hearing are true, all those old timers, saying those running the club are too remote from the fans, are going to be left with egg on their faces come Tuesday night.

2 As a one off, the u-bends will be removed from all the urinals in the North Stand, so once again fans can experience the joy of piss stains on their shoes.

If you want that experience just go to Selhurst

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Is the REMF a special exclusive charity that only members of the BHA superfanclique can do things for?

Superfanclique?

What is it with you? Perhaps some of us have worked ****ing hard to get the REMF off the ground, attended meetings, by hell even attended the first tentative meetings and steps and meeting the family and Roberts friends and worked our bollocks off making the REMF a sucess...it just doesn't happen.

You have no idea and your sniping is pathetic. In fact I will be there at the game, who knows I may be doing the PA again, if so come over we will have a beer and I can tell you all about the trials and tribulations we have gone through.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
If it was just about the football the original poster and so many people on here wouldn't have gone week-in week-out to Gillingham; wouldn't have stood, soaking wet, at doomed relegation seasons at the Goldstone and Withdean.

For me, I still love the Albion but I no longer have a clue what it is I love about it.

A few weeks ago there was a thread on here called "I hate football". What was interesting about the contributions was how many posters - many well-known names - have fallen out of love with the professional game but still keep coming to the Albion. It's what they've always done. They don't always enjoy it but they keep, for the moment, doing it. As season ticket holders it is a relatively painless process but I doubt so many of them would shell out 35 quid for last night's disappointment, and then another 35 for Tuesday. I wouldn't.

Board members, especially the ones the present chairman brought in - five of them, all with finance backgrounds, none an Albion supporter - don't understand the mindset of the average man on the Falmer omnibus. People with a sense of place and community and empathy for a provincial football club might as well be Martians as far as they are concerned.

There is a dislocation between those running the club and the people who follow it. The former don't understand the latter. Example - instead of being grateful for and nurturing the Albion's huge STH base Paul Barber and his men seemed to take it for granted, concentrating instead on getting new, ah, customers in and making the present ones wallets sweat. It's a classic marketing approach but if you try it in a provincial football club many of your existing customers will drift off and replacing them will be very hard. (It's all right at Spurs of course - if you pee off 5,000 supporters you just send out to Harpenden for replacements.)

After a lifetime in an Albion-supporting family I too feel very flat.

The problems the original poster talked about are real and I suspect widespread. The board and those reporting to it must start communicating and stop spinning. And if they can't understand ordinary supporters - and they clearly can't - they should employ people who do.

What a great post

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Superfanclique?

What is it with you? Perhaps some of us have worked ****ing hard to get the REMF off the ground, attended meetings, by hell even attended the first tentative meetings and steps and meeting the family and Roberts friends and worked our bollocks off making the REMF a sucess...it just doesn't happen.

You have no idea and your sniping is pathetic. In fact I will be there at the game, who knows I may be doing the PA again, if so come over we will have a beer and I can tell you all about the trials and tribulations we have gone through.

Your ire here is misplaced, Dave. His response to Ed's cynical snipe at Barber's supposed motives for giving up his time and effort for the REMF team this year, is fair enough, IMO.

Ask the chaps who are playing, what they think of PB's involvement, if you are amongst those of a cynical bent. Because all I've seen from them is MASSIVELY positive.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Your ire here is misplaced, Dave. His response to Ed's cynical snipe at Barber's supposed motives for giving up his time and effort for the REMF team this year, is fair enough, IMO.

Ask the chaps who are playing, what they think of PB's involvement, if you are amongst those of a cynical bent. Because all I've seen from them is MASSIVELY positive.

I concur, Mini said the session last Tuesday was fantastic.

pocketseagull

Dec 29, 2014
Us die-hards will still be there of course, but the club could be in real trouble if we're only getting gates of 12-15k.

This might be an unpopular JCL opinion but the ST renewals suggest that support dropping that drastically isn't likely even if the next season is poor.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home

So what was the superfanclique comment about then?

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I played in REMF 1, Peter Taylor came and gave us a team talk. It was fantastic fun.

I honestly think Paul Barber has just thought I will get involved, how can that be a problem?
Sometimes I think we can just over think stuff

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I played in REMF 1, Peter Taylor came and gave us a team talk. It was fantastic fun.

I honestly think Paul Barber has just thought I will get involved, how can that be a problem?
Sometimes I think we can just over think stuff

I completely agree with this and cannot for any reason see why he would do this to try and gain any kudos, personally I find it a really good touch and getting involved with the fans.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
This might be an unpopular JCL opinion but the ST renewals suggest that support dropping that drastically isn't likely even if the next season is poor.
I doubt they are chickens the club can afford to count, what with the 1901 renewals as well.

Many, although clearly not all, can just about tolerate a perfect storm of poo in one season, esp when the deficiencies are there for all to see.

I'm looking forward more to the close season than I am the last few games.

I want money spent.
It spent before pre season.
Considerably less reliance on loans.
With only 1 or 2 'finishing touch' signings in August.

Tick most of those boxes and I'm back all in.
But if history repeats itself, next seasons renewals will have me considering the long term investment of our ST's.

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
D'ya know what, Dave? I have a feeling that, even if the Albion got promoted to the Premier League and managed to survive without getting relegated, I'd be concerned that the rumblings weren't being dealt with. It's not just about success or failure on the pitch. It's about the relationships that are getting distorted and the old trust that seems to be in decline. You're an ex-manager of the REMF football squad, are you not? This year, Paul Barber takes over that role. Tell me honestly ... do you think he is motivated by the same feelings that you had when you did the job?

It pains me to say this, but the thought that is uppermost in my mind is a cynical one ... He must be up to something, but I don't know what it is. I'd like to think he's just a decent bloke, supporting a good cause, but ...

Sorry.

Really unfair comment.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Not lost the passion but i feel like my life has been robbed of a season of football and to cap off my misery I forced myself to watch Palace on MOTD, led by Murray they tore Sunderland a new one and what do we have? Leon fookin Best, yes Leon fookin Best, how utterly depressing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I must admit having supported not just followed the club for 65+ years this ST renewal time is the first that not doing so was a consideration. I dont think it is just age as I stopped going to away games about 3 years ago. The advent of The Amex inevitably brought about a more proffessional approach and the club moved from being my club to being a big business.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here