Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Lockdown lifting - when?

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
A study published yesterday indicated that 4 to 32 million people in the UK have already been infected. If towards the higher end it's likely that a vaccine wouldn't even be needed.

Do you have a link / source for this? It would be interesting to understand.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Do you have a link / source for this? It would be interesting to understand.

Between 4 and 32 million? Is there any value to something so vague?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
It will be illegal not to wear a mask in public, they need to get fine money in to recoup the pointless grants they’ve been dishing out. £25k handed out to a failing business the owner couldn’t believe his luck, a noose around his neck had been removed. He had court orders for business rates, months behind in rent unbelievable work from our government :facepalm:

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
It will be illegal not to wear a mask in public, they need to get fine money in to recoup the pointless grants they’ve been dishing out. £25k handed out to a failing business the owner couldn’t believe his luck, a noose around his neck had been removed. He had court orders for business rates, months behind in rent unbelievable work from our government :facepalm:

That doesn't sound pointless to the landlord or the local council or the benefits office.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

That's a bit of a daft example really. In the current climate there will be winners and losers, the government departments would be heavily criticised if they slowed things down by forensically analysing everyone's account.

The best process has been created to expedite the payments, and yes some will "unfairly" benefit...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That's a bit of a daft example really. In the current climate there will be winners and losers, the government departments would be heavily criticised if they slowed things down by forensically analysing everyone's account.

The best process has been created to expedite the payments, and yes some will "unfairly" benefit...

I agree with the sentiment completely but it is certainly not "the best process". In many cases it is a total mess.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Bit like how child benefit work (or used to) ...cross the board benefit even to those who really didn’t need it

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I just hope early October is a safe place for hospitals. Not too worried about the lockdown being lifted just yet but certainly in 3-4 weeks would be great.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Never. People need to accept this is the new way of life from now on. There will be partial lifting of some things and then locking down again for years. Even after if or when they find a vaccine for this one the next virus will now be met with a lockdown now a precident has been set. Even with a release this social distancing is so ingrained in people now, interactions will never be the same again and many people will just go out for essentials. I cannot image gatherings of people again, so doubt cinema's pubs concert halls stadium events will ever happen again and as such are now finished

Give the phone back to gramps.

Yoda

English & European
I have a feeling they will look at a further 3 weeks after next week to coincide with the end of the May Half Term. Also gives a chance to make sure the R0 stays well below R1 as this in itself is a way for the virus to be killed off.

If it is, until they can mass produce a vaccine, they will also have to make sure anyone coming from abroad after this has to go into quarantine for at least 2 weeks (like they did when they brought British Civilians back from China at the start of the outbreak there).

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

Those 'evil Tories' .....

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Coming back from work today the usual Friday traffic moving slowly in London seems like the people can’t sit around any longer.

In my view the amount traffic escalated further today in and around Brighton.

The scientific officers at the 5pm press briefings just gently ask us to refrain from driving, when they mention travel is increasing. Very half-hearted, possibly not wanting to impinge too much on personal liberties and relatively content that the vast majority comply, not overly concerned that increasing numbers do give two fingers to the lockdown.

Some other nations have had and still have very stringent laws, eg in Ireland where it’s a criminal offence (since 1 April) to travel further than 2km from home without proof that it’s for an essential purpose.

Would us awkward Brits have tolerated such a law?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
In my view the amount traffic escalated further today in and around Brighton.

The scientific officers at the 5pm press briefings just gently ask us to refrain from driving, when they mention travel is increasing. Very half-hearted, possibly not wanting to impinge too much on personal liberties and relatively content that the vast majority comply, not overly concerned that increasing numbers do give two fingers to the lockdown.

Some other nations have had and still have very stringent laws, eg in Ireland where it’s a criminal offence (since 1 April) to travel further than 2km from home without proof that it’s for an essential purpose.

Would us awkward Brits have tolerated such a law?

‘Rush hour’ as previously known was as ive found it over the last month ....quiet ...all the moving around is happening within like 10-4...just from what ive seen as ive moved around working....although i went along the seafront yesterday working in Hove and then close to the Marina...and its still comparatively quiet...which is great

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I can’t square Whizz Air’s decision to start passenger flights from Luton again with us supposedly being in lockdown.

How is travelling to Luton airport to fly to Spain, Portugal, Bulgaria or Romania an essential journey? I don’t want to go to Luton (who does?) but if this is going to be tolerated then **** it, I’ll drive down to the Cotswolds to see my family :shrug:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
‘Rush hour’ as previously known was as ive found it over the last month ....quiet ...all the moving around is happening within like 10-4...just from what ive seen as ive moved around working....although i went along the seafront yesterday working in Hove and then close to the Marina...and its still comparatively quiet...which is great

True about the timing. The WFH or furloughed taking lay-ins, then families and silver surfers head off on ‘essential’ jaunts mid morning.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here