Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Lockdown lifting - when?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Cheers, and no worries.

I had thought this situation pisses on everyone's chips. I've got a couple of mates who are furloughed and loved it to start, but now bored. I've got another couple who are looking at businesses that normally make a fortune in the summer not making a penny. I'm sure some key workers would love to be working from home whereas I just want to break the door down and jump on a train to see my clients. The grass is always greener and all that. With that in mind I'm glad it's working out for a few of us! :thumbsup:
People who are bored can pee off imho. There's so much I could be doing other than looking after the kids and work but don't have time for any of it!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
23rd March. And it was overnight. Our local row of shops / bars / restaurants went from rammed to ghost town the next day. I can only account for the small part of one city where I live obviously because I haven't bloody been anywhere else since. :lolol:

But I must admit, the photos my mate sent me yesterday surprised me. In comparison to some of the stuff I've read.

View attachment 122972

View attachment 122973

View attachment 122974

The Moor, Division Street and Fargate. Three of the busiest streets in the city centre usually.

Perhaps all the people are in cupboards in Sheffield pubs ?

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-england-south-yorkshire-52475708

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

That is exactly what I imagined happening in those kinds of areas over the last couple of weeks. The pubs out there are pretty intrinsic to the localities. I've got a mate who's a cartoonist in Sheff and he'd been drafting some stories along those lines.

That pub looks like the archetype of about half the pubs in the suburbs. I would bet similar stuff is happening in Killamarsh and Mexborough. Bless 'em. "Quick pint, owd cock?" "Tern oop at eight, keep the fookin' lights off."

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
I thought I recognized it from the picture. Is it near Hillsborough ? I seem to remember walking from the tram stop and passing a pretty rough looking place that looked similar.
No. But basically most of the city North of the centre is bandit country.

There are still plenty of "nice" areas but they're still full of díckheads and everyone supports WednesLOL.

Proper Sheffield is the South.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That is exactly what I imagined happening in those kinds of areas over the last couple of weeks. The pubs out there are pretty intrinsic to the localities. I've got a mate who's a cartoonist in Sheff and he'd been drafting some stories along those lines.

That pub looks like the archetype of about half the pubs in the suburbs. I would bet similar stuff is happening in Killamarsh and Mexborough. Bless 'em. "Quick pint, owd cock?" "Tern oop at eight, keep the fookin' lights off."
I imagine that the pubs in Maltby, Brimington and Wath (which are Rotherham/Chesterfield towns/villages) will be doing a roaring trade.

It's village mentality.

It's always been said though that Sheffield is the biggest village in the country. A collection of small places with separate identities and a city centre. It's unlike any other big city I've spent time in in that respect.

Think it also comes from the fact that it's so central and has a huge percentage of students who come here and stay here. Of my best mates over the years living here, only a few were born in Sheffield. Others are/were Birmingham, Bolton, Leeds, Blackpool, Edinburgh, Cambridge..... oh and Maltby. [emoji23]

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Think it also comes from the fact that it's so central and has a huge percentage of students who come here and stay here. Of my best mates over the years living here, only a few were born in Sheffield. Others are/were Birmingham, Bolton, Leeds, Blackpool, Edinburgh, Cambridge..... oh and Maltby. [emoji23]

Instinctively understand why they'd pick Sheff over those...although Leeds is probably better but dun't know enough about it. Cambo might be better but everything is twice the price there...

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
My view is that we will be under some degree of lockdown until the end of the day.

What will happen (soon) is that they'll start to broaden what people can do but it will still be under a degree of limitations for a long time to come.

Schools I think will be first (staggered certainly - but parents need schools before they can start to do things themselves). Then some selected shop types and trades will be allowed to restart.

I can imagine a pretence of normality within a couple of months, but pubs/sit-down restaurants will be amongst the last to open and possibly only after we have herd immunity or a vaccine.

The very last thing to be allowed will be mass gatherings like concerts, theatres, cinemas and, unfortunately, sports events and can't see that happening until we have been zero deaths and single figure new cases for a couple of weeks.

By the time we return to 'normal', normal will have become this.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I imagine that the pubs in Maltby, Brimington and Wath (which are Rotherham/Chesterfield towns/villages) will be doing a roaring trade.

It's village mentality.

It's always been said though that Sheffield is the biggest village in the country. A collection of small places with separate identities and a city centre. It's unlike any other big city I've spent time in in that respect.

Guilty of having been one of those students coming in but I then did stay for a while, running pubs and (mostly) maintaining a lock-in culture. Definitely a unique city but holds some good memories for me.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[yt]ulQr-AH6GlY[/yt]

Well I dunno about y'all, but I've been spending lockdown playing The Last of Us, in prep.

Mind you, this is a fairly normal evening in LIDL'S,to be fair.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
[yt]ulQr-AH6GlY[/yt]

Well I dunno about y'all, but I've been spending lockdown playing The Last of Us, in prep.

Mind you, this is a fairly normal evening in LIDL'S,to be fair.
Is that the Croydon edition?

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Never. People need to accept this is the new way of life from now on. There will be partial lifting of some things and then locking down again for years. Even after if or when they find a vaccine for this one the next virus will now be met with a lockdown now a precident has been set. Even with a release this social distancing is so ingrained in people now, interactions will never be the same again and many people will just go out for essentials. I cannot image gatherings of people again, so doubt cinema's pubs concert halls stadium events will ever happen again and as such are now finished

I can't tell if this I meant to be a joke of not?? ???

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
A study published yesterday indicated that 4 to 32 million people in the UK have already been infected. If towards the higher end it's likely that a vaccine wouldn't even be needed.

Somewhere between 4 and 32 million :lolol::lolol: who conducted this 'study'?!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
It was in a couple of the papers, but that's not really the point - the point is that we don't know and it has a huge bearing on how things need to be handled.

Sorry I understood the point, just thought it a bit ridiculous that something so wildly imprecise could even be called a study!

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
State of emergency was declared on March 16th. Unless going to work or getting essential supplies, stay at home. If you are out you have to wear a mask. Only small food shops and chemists were open. Everything else shut. Borders were closed. First week army patrols. Other small shops were allowed to open on Monday. but not big stores or malls. I think the difference here was it was law and not advice.
I took pics on way to work yesterday, for something that couldnt be done at home and crossed old town square, see pic, and not many peopke out at all. When I see pics of Brighton, the difference is huge.

To be fair though, we're allowed to go for a walk once a day. Apart from the last few days the weather's been gloriously sunny throughout lockdown. Where do people go for a walk in the city when it's sunny here? Largely one place : the seafront. And also, the pictures you've seen really, really don't paint a proper picture. Theyre cleverly taken using a telephoto lense for a start. I've gone for my daily walk along different parts of the prom nearly every day since lockdown, and 99% of people are very respectful of social distancing, and it doesn't feel anyway near as busy as the photos you will have seen suggest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here