Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liverpool vs Brighton & Hove Albion *** Official Match Thread ***

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Out of interest where did you stay last time ? I can try to give you some recommendations of places to go next time you do the trip.

Stayed in a hotel the other side of the river near the city centre. I forget the name to be honest, but it was ok. Would be happy to have any
recommendations. Ta NB.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just watched MOTD. Our 3rd goal is the absolute epitome of what I thought De Zerbi football would look like after reading all those analysis articles.. There's neat passing around at the back, and on a couple of occasions Caicedo receives the ball from Dunk in a position where he could easily turn on the ball and look to move forward, but instead its another pass back to Dunk or Veltman which to the untrained eye could look a bit pointless, but you see how it draws in the Liverpool forwards. Then with one quick bit of movement and pass forward from Webster we have beaten that press and 5 Liverpool players are caught out high up the pitch, leaving them open to a counter attack. Creating a counter attack while in a defensive position is something pretty tricky to achieve.

Its also noticeable how many players we have in the box - there was routinely 4-5 players charging in when we were working the ball around the final third, and if we're going to do that at Anfield we'll do it anywhere. It's bold, its brave, and it WILL result in us conceding goals such as their second when it breaks down and we're caught a bit short on the break. But we're not going to come up against the quality and pace of Liverpool every week.

This is (hopefully) going to be a fun watch for us, if yesterday is anything to go by. But we are going to have to ensure we are more clinical than we were before, if this is going to work. One things for sure - I think I'll bre including BHA in my 'both teams to score' accas from now on.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The football was delicious…

c601511e0239da1fa5575828cb0157ff.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
[tweet]1576236064951635970[/tweet]

Enjoyed this today :)

What a signing he is turning out to be.

Just a few cameos but looks so dangerous every time he comes on. Provided Groß with a winner on a plate after totally embarrassing Trippier and then dances round Liverpool players at will finally providing the assist for an important equaliser.

He has a massive future with us and cost peanuts as usual.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
there was routinely 4-5 players charging in when we were working the ball around the final third, and if we're going to do that at Anfield we'll do it anywhere. It's bold, its brave, and it WILL result in us conceding goals such as their second when it breaks down and we're caught a bit short on the break. But we're not going to come up against the quality and pace of Liverpool every week.

It's going to be interesting to see how/if it works against Spurs. We'll be playing into their hands tactics-wise by being vulnerable to the counter-attack. But if we're 3 up before they get a chance, that'll be fine!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
What a signing he is turning out to be.

Just a few cameos but looks so dangerous every time he comes on. Provided Groß with a winner on a plate after totally embarrassing Trippier and then dances round Liverpool players at will finally providing the assist for an important equaliser.

He has a massive future with us and cost peanuts as usual.

Could not agree more. Every time he has the ball at his feet, the first thing on his mind is to run at them. He is fast, skilful, direct and fearless- in other words, a defenders absolute nightmare. He rips fullbacks to shreds.

I can't wait to see him fully unleashed. From what I have seen so far, he is going to be absolutely ridiculous.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
I've just watched MOtD and still believe Liverpool's first goal was offside - the VAR line is drawn at Webster's back foot but Salah's armpit, where the line should have been drawn, looks ahead of it.

I also don't know how they got that free-kick at the death, if anything it was a free kick for us for deliberate handball. A usual the referee gave everything he could to the massive team.....

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I've just watched MOtD and still believe Liverpool's first goal was offside - the VAR line is drawn at Webster's back foot but Salah's armpit, where the line should have been drawn, looks ahead of it.

I also don't know how they got that free-kick at the death, if anything it was a free kick for us for deliberate handball. A usual the referee gave everything he could to the massive team.....
Im not sure how Salah didn’t get booked for three separate deliberate handballs, also Pervis booked for delaying a throw in was really weak (crowd influenced) refereeing. The was pretty poor at times I thought.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London

Also how come there was only one view of it. I've literally not seen any other angle since it happened.

Very suspicious

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

I agree, I'm afraid I have no idea what it is they look at these days. Webster's foot was playing Salah on, but in the mad world of VAR I thought the elbow and shoulder also counted, and by that measure Salah looked off.

In all fairness I am happy for the rule to be foot only so I do not think this was an egregious decision, I'm just unhappy about the inconsistency. Still with AFC Hooper on VAR we stood no chance with that decision.

Poyningsgull

Apr 12, 2007
I agree, I'm afraid I have no idea what it is they look at these days. Webster's foot was playing Salah on, but in the mad world of VAR I thought the elbow and shoulder also counted, and by that measure Salah looked off.

In all fairness I am happy for the rule to be foot only so I do not think this was an egregious decision, I'm just unhappy about the inconsistency. Still with AFC Hooper on VAR we stood no chance with that decision.

You've just sent half of NSC scurrying to dictionary corner.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Any part of your body that you can legally play the ball with, comes into play for offside. So certainly not the elbow. 'Shoulder' is trickier to define - usually they aim to draw the line from the player's armpit.

Whilst Hoops was the VAR for the game, and I have zero confidence in that fat fraud, the Assistant VAR was Darren Cann - widely regarded as the very best assistant referee there is. If anybody knows how to correctly adjudicate an offside, it is him.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
got to laugh really , there was a "pundit" I caught on Sat am on TS discussing the games who predicted a rout . He actually said he thinks we will get hit for 6 today.

Liverpool fan in the office mouthing off Friday , funnily enough doesn't want to discuss the game today. Like it didn't happen. The worst of all fair weather fans. Chirp up only when winning.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
got to laugh really , there was a "pundit" I caught on Sat am on TS discussing the games who predicted a rout . He actually said he thinks we will get hit for 6 today.

Liverpool fan in the office mouthing off Friday , funnily enough doesn't want to discuss the game today. Like it didn't happen. The worst of all fair weather fans. Chirp up only when winning.

Charlie Baker (on with Max Rushden) I think?

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

The two Liverpool fans I work with have been nothing but complimentary about us today. They both said we fully deserved to win and totally took them apart for the first 30mins.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Enjoyed thhe comment on one of the Liverpool forums after Trossard's second goal - Now we must score 3 against best defence in league.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Any part of your body that you can legally play the ball with, comes into play for offside. So certainly not the elbow. 'Shoulder' is trickier to define - usually they aim to draw the line from the player's armpit.

Whilst Hoops was the VAR for the game, and I have zero confidence in that fat fraud, the Assistant VAR was Darren Cann - widely regarded as the very best assistant referee there is. If anybody knows how to correctly adjudicate an offside, it is him.

Chuck a quick line on the screen, get the kettle on, finish your chat with your mates and simply give the decision to whichever team gives your career the path of least resistance.

Sorry Darren Cann, maybe you are actually good at your job, but once I see decision making in a sensible timescale which doesn't constantly reek of big team bias, maybe i'll start to think better of your profession.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For the first time in yonks we werent in earshot of a tosspot - sure everyone around me was but that's not my problem!
We had a top notch mix of ages, gender and race, which leads me onto my point.

Directly in front was 'Haydon Jetamaine' (?) - as per the back of his Albion top - and his mate
A la everyone else we were all loud and bouncy through the first half.
Nervous and frustrated in the second - until the hattrick hero stepped up.

At that point 'HJ' turned around, grabbed me like a rag doll and hugged me so tightly I thought my eyes were going to pop out of my head.
I have never felt so safe. :lolol:

I'm sure if we'd scored a winner the fella would have cured me of scoliosis.

Bestest bear hug ever - if the opportunity arises surrender yourself and thank me later! :lol:.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here