Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool set for "monstrous takeover" bid from Qatar in February

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
Of course it could man, Net spend of £200m was manageable under Mike Ashley, let alone another owner/group who were keen to see the club grow. It's just an easy way to hand wave away the 'success'. "Oh it's just because of the money". But it isn't, is it? Howe wasn't a megastar appointment, Burn wasn't a blockbuster signing, Longstaff was already there. Yet, here we are, only lost once in the league, Semi Final of the Cup. And still outspent gross and Nett by a number of clubs.
That other possible owners could have afforded your recent spending, doesn't alter who your owners are.
Nor does it excuse the fact that I've had Newcastle fans tell me that Khashoggi had it coming.

Sea Cider

Dec 27, 2012
The simple fact is that any future success for Newcastle will engender a shrug of the shoulders and a "meh". Same as every Chelsea and City success before them. A forever tainted club in the eyes of all other fans (regardless of how much the media might gloss over it).

This sad truth needs to be understood by all the Newcastle fans who have ignored the people taking over on account of the pound signs flashing before their eyes (and this includes you, the fish... You seem to think that if you mention that you think your owners are 'vile' enough times it will absolve you of your part in all this... it doesn't and won't - unfortunately the more you post defending Newcastle, the more of a Saudi mouthpiece you appear)

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
EPL is fast becoming a global willy-waving contest, a bit like UK racehorse ownership used to be. Which makes it all the sweeter when the (comparatively) little guy makes them all look silly :lol:
It happens in most sports, motorsport and now historic motorsport is the same, as soon as it becomes popular all the wrong people jump on the bandwagon

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
That other possible owners could have afforded your recent spending, doesn't alter who your owners are.
Nor does it excuse the fact that I've had Newcastle fans tell me that Khashoggi had it coming.

re: the first point, it's a complaint of mine, not a brag or whataboutery. It's such an exciting time for Newcastle fans, seeing the club well-run, playing good football, with likeable players. But all of it, all of it, is tainted by the owners.

re: the second point, any Newcastle fan saying/doing that kind of thing is either conflating criticism of the Saudi regime with criticism of the club and reacting tribally. Or, they're morons. Unfortunately, social media/online seems to have amplified the voices of people who really shouldn't get that kind of attention.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
The simple fact is that any future success for Newcastle will engender a shrug of the shoulders and a "meh". Same as every Chelsea and City success before them. A forever tainted club in the eyes of all other fans (regardless of how much the media might gloss over it).

This sad truth needs to be understood by all the Newcastle fans who have ignored the people taking over on account of the pound signs flashing before their eyes (and this includes you, the fish... You seem to think that if you mention that you think your owners are 'vile' enough times it will absolve you of your part in all this... it doesn't and won't - unfortunately the more you post defending Newcastle, the more of a Saudi mouthpiece you appear)
I'd say that anyone who actually thinks that is conflating the club with the owners. We're linked, absolutely, but we're not the same. Their politics don't trickle down. And unfortunately, our politics are unlikely to trickle up.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Remember it is not the Saudi leaders who own the club anyway. It is different. Remember that. Definitely different. Yes sir. Not the same thing.

My old man is in his late 70s and has saved a few quid that when he eventually dies will help me and my siblings and our kids (not that much just enough to make a decent start). If he had made this money through fraud or some other crime then I would not take it. I see this as similar to the way Newcastle fans are behaving with the new owners.

Rather than saying “no. I don’t want a nice big house and fast car because of how you made your money” they are saying “wow. Love my new house. Have you seen my car? It is great isn’t it” then every so often say “not ideal how dad made his money but I love my new house” as if saying they don’t like how they got their money every now and then is not EXACTLY what the Saudi’s hoped would happen. Then over time people will justify it less and less. And boom. Sportwash complete. Well done everyone. You might even buy some trophies. What an incredible achievement that will be. A victory for the little guys.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
Remember it is not the Saudi leaders who own the club anyway. It is different. Remember that. Definitely different. Yes sir. Not the same thing.

My old man is in his late 70s and has saved a few quid that when he eventually dies will help me and my siblings and our kids (not that much just enough to make a decent start). If he had made this money through fraud or some other crime then I would not take it. I see this as similar to the way Newcastle fans are behaving with the new owners.

Rather than saying “no. I don’t want a nice big house and fast car because of how you made your money” they are saying “wow. Love my new house. Have you seen my car? It is great isn’t it” then every so often say “not ideal how dad made his money but I love my new house” as if saying they don’t like how they got their money every now and then is not EXACTLY what the Saudi’s hoped would happen. Then over time people will justify it less and less. And boom. Sportwash complete. Well done everyone. You might even buy some trophies. What an incredible achievement that will be. A victory for the little guys.

Don't disagree with that, but unfortunately that's how Sportswashing works. It's how soft power works across the world. It's rank, but it's undeniably effective.

I would say that, on the whole, money has always been how trophies and success were won. Liverpool did it, Manchesters City and Utd did it, Blackburn, Chelsea, Arsenal, we tried to do it in the 90s, Hell, even Sunderland did it way back when. Money isn't a guarantee of success, but you don't win the league without it*.

Unless you can bring a paradigm shift in the global game, that's how it will be going forward. Sure plucky underdogs might get an FA or League Cup now and then, but more often than not it'll be some sickeningly rich club adding another trophy to their cabinet.

For what it's worth, you and Brentford are doing it the right way, and I genuinely hope that you and them get success from your efforts. I genuinely want to see the exemplar of English football to be a club that recruits well, looks after their players, has a clear strategy running throughout the club, a clear ethos and identity from CEO down to first year academy players. Because if it works and you do get CL football, challenge for titles, then it might mean football comes back into the hands of the fans. I just think it's more likely that big fees will be thrown at your best players and at some point the transfers won't work out. Look at Southampton now. Hopefully you've a more robust strategy than they do.

Honestly, I'd much, much rather some Tony Bloom character had bought us from Ashley.

*Leicester is always going to be the exception

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Excellent summary and absolutely spot on.:thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here