Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool set for "monstrous takeover" bid from Qatar in February

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I wouldn't be surprised if that move meant plans for the 'Super League' were back on the table quicker than you can say "Migrant worker deaths".

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
To be fair, the owners haven't thrown around transfer fees that people were predicting. They haven't gone off and appointed Pochettino on massive wages as many expected.

The owners are awful and shouldn't own the club. But, to dismiss the team's performance as chiefly down to money spent, is reductive. Joelinton, Longstaff, Willock, Schar, Almiron were all here before the takeover and are all integral to our league position.
Pope, Trippier, Burn have all played superbly, and all were <£15m. Bruno was £39m, but hardly out of the range for the majority of PL clubs, same with Sven Botman. It's really only Isak at £60m where you could accuse the club of largesse and he's only played 260 minutes, so it's not like our record signing has fired us up the league. We have gone from relegation candidates, added 7 (excluding Isak) to our first team, and now we're genuinely competing for Europe.

On that point, it's important to remember that, last season we'd played 19 games, Won 1, Drawn 8, Lost 10. This season we've played 19, won 10, drawn 8, lost 1. That kind of turnaround cannot possibly be dismissed by laying it all at the feet of money spent. In fact, Newcastle have spent less than 9 clubs so far this season.

It's not just about money, Eddie Howe, Eales and Ashworth are why we're sitting in the top 4. Nothing we've done would have been impossible under the previous owner. But, I say again, the new owners are awful and shouldn't own the club.
I have often thought that buying Chris Wood was clever. It not only gave the team focus for when Callum Wilson was injured but also weakened Burnley who went down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Didn't Klipperty call out Sports washing nation states a couple of months ago.

So.shirley he'll quit on principal, there's no way he'll stay just because of the very literal tonnes of money that would come him way.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
To be fair, the owners haven't thrown around transfer fees that people were predicting. They haven't gone off and appointed Pochettino on massive wages as many expected.

The owners are awful and shouldn't own the club. But, to dismiss the team's performance as chiefly down to money spent, is reductive. Joelinton, Longstaff, Willock, Schar, Almiron were all here before the takeover and are all integral to our league position.
Pope, Trippier, Burn have all played superbly, and all were <£15m. Bruno was £39m, but hardly out of the range for the majority of PL clubs, same with Sven Botman. It's really only Isak at £60m where you could accuse the club of largesse and he's only played 260 minutes, so it's not like our record signing has fired us up the league. We have gone from relegation candidates, added 7 (excluding Isak) to our first team, and now we're genuinely competing for Europe.

On that point, it's important to remember that, last season we'd played 19 games, Won 1, Drawn 8, Lost 10. This season we've played 19, won 10, drawn 8, lost 1. That kind of turnaround cannot possibly be dismissed by laying it all at the feet of money spent. In fact, Newcastle have spent less than 9 clubs so far this season.

It's not just about money, Eddie Howe, Eales and Ashworth are why we're sitting in the top 4. Nothing we've done would have been impossible under the previous owner. But, I say again, the new owners are awful and shouldn't own the club.
I am not convinced that two record signings at the time of purchase should be listed as evidence howe is brilliant. I would argue it shows just how bad Steve Bruce was.

As an interesting point of comparison.

West Brom had 2 wins from 17 matches. Sacked Steve Bruce. They now have 11 from 27. So I assume through incredible coaching they have gone from 2 wins in 17 to then 9 wins in 10. I suspect steve Bruce managed to make good players rubbish rather than how making rubbish players good.

Since summer 21 Newcastle have nett spend of over 220 million!

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
If this happens, I would hope that vast swathes of Liverpool fans of all kinds would reject it. I know Newcastle fans who have walked away, but the majority have accepted it, so desperate are they for 'success' after the ludicrous stewardship of Ashley. Given that Liverpool have won lots of things, such acceptance is far less certain. I may be completely wrong: if I am, the game really is totally sick.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I have often thought that buying Chris Wood was clever. It not only gave the team focus for when Callum Wilson was injured but also weakened Burnley who went down.
Absolutely, shrewd business. Rumours are that Nottingham are going to take him on loan for the rest of the season, with a option/obligation to buy. Only Dan Ashworth could flog Wood to Forest.

Cornwallboy

Oct 13, 2022
Didn't Klipperty call out Sports washing nation states a couple of months ago.

So.shirley he'll quit on principal, there's no way he'll stay just because of the very literal tonnes of money that would come him way.
Ah yes I get you, yes he did indeed call it out recently.

Principals? In football? Non existent. I'm sure if there is a nation state takeover and JK is offered a new contract and unlimited funds to spend he might be persuaded to stay.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I wonder if the day will come Bloom takes some outside investment. I’ve always wondered if really there has been some external money behind Bloom anyway as his level of investment is astronomical. Given the complexity of his public figure and accountancy / records it is curious

He also seems to be in the UK a lot more now than when he was 50/50 with Australia

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

You're welcome. :(

In terms of money spent you've spent 210million since the take over. Not outrageous but a decent amount and is top of the net spend table.

You are right about the team, Howe's done an excellent job, one defeat and only 11 goals conceded in 19 games is an excellent achievement for anyone. Having that squad in a prime position to qualify for the champions league is remarkable.

It's just a shame that you've sold/lost/given up the soul of your club to get it. You aren't Newcastle anymore, you're a walking billboard for Saudi Arabia and all that comes with it. And, while it's easy to criticise from afar it must be a tough thing to grapple with on a personal level. It's still 'your' club, they play in black and white, they play at st James Park but...

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
"Monstrous takeover", you say...?

god011ac_wide-4d58dbee4af67e2ae5048bd7d5a72b5af1bef9d9.jpg

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I genuinely think that Liverpool supporters have a bit more backbone and a bit more about them than the rollovereasy Geordies.
I would suspect if Qatar goes for this (and they will be warmly welcomed by the Premier league and the Tories of course) they may find a far less warm welcome on merseyside than the saudi murderers did on Tyneside.

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
I am not convinced that two record signings at the time of purchase should be listed as evidence howe is brilliant. I would argue it shows just how bad Steve Bruce was.

As an interesting point of comparison.

West Brom had 2 wins from 17 matches. Sacked Steve Bruce. They now have 11 from 27. So I assume through incredible coaching they have gone from 2 wins in 17 to then 9 wins in 10. I suspect steve Bruce managed to make good players rubbish rather than how making rubbish players good.

Since summer 21 Newcastle have nett spend of over 220 million!
Sorry, it's unclear to me who you're talking about re: two record signings?

It is undeniable that Bruce is awful. However, the job that Howe has done is remarkable and he should surely be in the conversation for Manager of the Year if we get Europe (even more so if we actually win the League Cup).

2007-2021 West Ham's Nett spend was £216m, Everton's £345m, Stoke (!) spent £213m. Newcastle's was £135m. Ashley pushed pause on investment on the first team (and the infrastructure), so we've a lot of catching up to do. It also meant we don't have a deep squad where we could offset the transfer fees paid, by transfer fees recouped. Looking at Gross spend this season, there are 8 clubs who've spent more on players than we have including; West Ham, Forest, Wolves, Leicester etc. If money was the reason for our success, why aren't these teams above us?

The Fish

Exiled Geordie
Jan 5, 2017
You're welcome. :(

In terms of money spent you've spent 210million since the take over. Not outrageous but a decent amount and is top of the net spend table.

You are right about the team, Howe's done an excellent job, one defeat and only 11 goals conceded in 19 games is an excellent achievement for anyone. Having that squad in a prime position to qualify for the champions league is remarkable.

It's just a shame that you've sold/lost/given up the soul of your club to get it. You aren't Newcastle anymore, you're a walking billboard for Saudi Arabia and all that comes with it. And, while it's easy to criticise from afar it must be a tough thing to grapple with on a personal level. It's still 'your' club, they play in black and white, they play at st James Park but...
For the past 14yrs we'd been a billboard for Sports Direct. These owners are vile and the PL, the Government or the FA should have stopped it from happening. But they don't care. And of course, it's the fans who are criticised despite having no say in it. Mind, you're kidding yourself if you think there any many Premier League clubs that are their fans' club. Man City, Arsenal, Leicester, and so on, they're not the local clubs they once were. When Bloom sells you, it won't be to a local Brighton fan will it? That's just the nature of late stage capitalism and a succession of Governments who don't understand football's place in our culture.

It's hard to explain to fans of other clubs how bleak it was under Ashley. Especially to fans of clubs who've really had it bad. Newcastle have never been in the third tier, not been in financial difficulty since the PL was formed, not had threats of administration or winding up orders. So how could we moan? Well, for me it was an existential issue. After decades of supporting us through the good and bad, I found myself not caring. Stay up or go down, who cares? NUFC wouldn't try in the cups, wouldn't try in the league once survival/promotion was guaranteed. Didn't invest in local talent. It was nothing. The rotting corpse of a pigeon hanging in the netting above the stand, wires dangling from the tv brackets in the concourse, windows that hadn't been washed in years. Ashley didn't kill my club, he just put it in a financially induced coma. A zombie club, existing to exist.

I say this to try and give a sense of the desperation on Tyneside. Those scenes you maybe saw outside St James' when the takeover was announced, they would 100% have been replicated had the new owners been from South America, or some faceless multinational hedge fund, or that rarest of breeds, a local boy done good. We didn't want the Saudis in, we wanted Ashley out. The Athletic ran a poll and worded the question like "Are you in favour of the Saudi takeover", overwhelmingly the respondents said yes. Because that was the only horse in town. If the Orleggi group had rocked up with a £300m bid you better believe we would have preferred that one.

Every time we sign someone, any time we succeed, if we ever win something the ownership will be brought up. And it absolutely should. Questions should be asked, but asked of those with the power to make change; the FA, the PL, the Government.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

It's all about the money. You wouldn't have feel good factor without the money. You wouldn't have the people you credit without the money. Eddie Howe wouldn't have taken the job without the money, Ashworth wouldn't have left us if not for the money, Darren Eales wouldn't have left Atlanta United except: the money.

You were 10th highest net transfer spenders in 20/21, one window of Saudi cash had you leaping to second highest spenders in 21/22, and one and a bit windows currently has you fourth highest in 22/23. Newcastle's transfer balance over the last 10 years is -£439,250,000 and 60% of that has been spent in the two windows since the Saudis took over and brought with them, yes you guessed it, the money.

Wages are an even larger issue. Brighton get beaten up by some complaining fans every window because they don't sign a striker. This isn't because they don't try or can't afford the transfer fee, its because of the wage structure not meeting the demands of top strikers. The moment that the Saudis took over, the wage structure stopped being an issue for Newcastle. The existing players that you mention as being instrumental in the improvement are all playing for their places in a club that can now afford to offer them new deals that would be beyond their wildest dreams before the money.

Take a look at Howe's results before and after the winter transfer window in 2021/22 and then try to tell us its not all about the money. A point a game in the ten matches between Howe starting after the draw with us and the opening of the transfer window. 2 points per game in the 36 games that began with Trippier's first league appearance, the first time you'd been able to spend the money.

There was a sign of what you'd be without the money this month when you were knocked out of the FA Cup by a Division One side, with a starting line up of pretty much players who would all still be EPL starters if it wan't for the money. Players who still can't beat Sheffield Wednesday after being managed by Eddie Howe for eighteen months.

Enjoy your success by all means. After all, once your club has sold its soul, success is all you really have. Don't fool yourself though:

If you hadn't gone down last year, you'd currently be in a relegation battle if not for the money.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
Sorry, it's unclear to me who you're talking about re: two record signings?

It is undeniable that Bruce is awful. However, the job that Howe has done is remarkable and he should surely be in the conversation for Manager of the Year if we get Europe (even more so if we actually win the League Cup).

2007-2021 West Ham's Nett spend was £216m, Everton's £345m, Stoke (!) spent £213m. Newcastle's was £135m. Ashley pushed pause on investment on the first team (and the infrastructure), so we've a lot of catching up to do. It also meant we don't have a deep squad where we could offset the transfer fees paid, by transfer fees recouped. Looking at Gross spend this season, there are 8 clubs who've spent more on players than we have including; West Ham, Forest, Wolves, Leicester etc. If money was the reason for our success, why aren't these teams above us?

I prefer nett spent tbh. Leics made some big sales right?

Almiron signed as club record fee. https://www.skysports.com/football/...miron-from-atlanta-united-for-club-record-fee

Joelinton signed for a club record fee. https://www.skysports.com/amp/footb...inton-from-hoffenheim-in-40m-club-record-deal

Almiron had a little bit of Rafa didn’t he and then Bruce? It is quite common players take time to settle in the league etc.

Remember don’t just look at wages. You need to look at wages etc too.

I agree other clubs should do well. I guess my position is skewed by being a Brighton fan where we pay relatively low wages and destroy Liverpool with a side costing c30 million. Plus being a place where other managers who want success park the bus. To be fair to Eddie. The signing of Pope who was incredible, tactics of parking the bus and the tactics of time wasting from the first whistle at the Amex were perfect. So maybe I am being a little harsh.

If Newcastle get top four then I hope they sign Kane just to annoy all my spurs supporting mates. That would be very funny.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's all about the money. You wouldn't have feel good factor without the money. You wouldn't have the people you credit without the money. Eddie Howe wouldn't have taken the job without the money, Ashworth wouldn't have left us if not for the money, Darren Eales would't have left Atlanta United except: the money.

You were 10th highest net transfer spenders in 20/21, one window of Saudi cash had you leaping to second highest spenders in 21/22, and one and a bit windows currently has you fourth highest in 22/23. Newcastle's transfer balance over the last 10 years is -£439,250,000 and 60% of that has been spent in the two windows since the Saudis took over and brought with them, yes you guessed it, the money.

Wages are an even larger issue. Brighton get beaten up by some complaining fans every window because they don't sign a striker. This isn't because they don't try or can't afford the transfer fee, its because of the wage structure not meeting the demands of top strikers. The moment that the Saudis took over, the wage structure stopped being an issue for Newcastle. The existing players that you mention as being instrumental in the improvement are all playing for their places in a club that can now afford to offer them new deals that would be beyond their wildest dreams before the money.

Take a look at Howe's results before and after the winter transfer window in 2021/22 and then try to tell us its not all about the money. A point a game in the ten matches between Howe starting after the draw with us and the opening of the transfer window. 2 points per game in the 36 games that began with Trippier's first league appearance, the first time you'd been able to spend the money.

There was a sign of what you'd be without the money this month when you were knocked out of the FA Cup by a Division One side, with a starting line up of pretty much players who would all still be EPL starters if it wan't for the money. Players who still can't beat Sheffield Wednesday after being managed by Eddie Howe for eighteen months.

Enjoy your success by all means. After all, once your club has sold its soul, success is all you really have. Don't fool yourself though:

If you hadn't gone down last year, you'd currently be in a relegation battle if not for the money.
Absolutely bang on. The money is facilitating everything at Saudi FC. I'm sorry that their fans don't want to hear it, but to be honest I'm sick of their apologia for a disgusting regime just because they have won a few football games.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Every time we sign someone, any time we succeed, if we ever win something the ownership will be brought up. And it absolutely should.
Yup - sadly (for the fans) any success will be forever tainted.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
For the past 14yrs we'd been a billboard for Sports Direct. These owners are vile and the PL, the Government or the FA should have stopped it from happening. But they don't care. And of course, it's the fans who are criticised despite having no say in it. Mind, you're kidding yourself if you think there any many Premier League clubs that are their fans' club. Man City, Arsenal, Leicester, and so on, they're not the local clubs they once were. When Bloom sells you, it won't be to a local Brighton fan will it? That's just the nature of late stage capitalism and a succession of Governments who don't understand football's place in our culture.

It's hard to explain to fans of other clubs how bleak it was under Ashley. Especially to fans of clubs who've really had it bad. Newcastle have never been in the third tier, not been in financial difficulty since the PL was formed, not had threats of administration or winding up orders. So how could we moan? Well, for me it was an existential issue. After decades of supporting us through the good and bad, I found myself not caring. Stay up or go down, who cares? NUFC wouldn't try in the cups, wouldn't try in the league once survival/promotion was guaranteed. Didn't invest in local talent. It was nothing. The rotting corpse of a pigeon hanging in the netting above the stand, wires dangling from the tv brackets in the concourse, windows that hadn't been washed in years. Ashley didn't kill my club, he just put it in a financially induced coma. A zombie club, existing to exist.

I say this to try and give a sense of the desperation on Tyneside. Those scenes you maybe saw outside St James' when the takeover was announced, they would 100% have been replicated had the new owners been from South America, or some faceless multinational hedge fund, or that rarest of breeds, a local boy done good. We didn't want the Saudis in, we wanted Ashley out. The Athletic ran a poll and worded the question like "Are you in favour of the Saudi takeover", overwhelmingly the respondents said yes. Because that was the only horse in town. If the Orleggi group had rocked up with a £300m bid you better believe we would have preferred that one.

Every time we sign someone, any time we succeed, if we ever win something the ownership will be brought up. And it absolutely should. Questions should be asked, but asked of those with the power to make change; the FA, the PL, the Government.
Siri. Can you define sportwashing for me?

As you say. Probably best looking elsewhere for sympathy after the last 30 years at Brighton!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here