Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool Fans booing the National Anthem

Why is Thatcher relevant? That was decades ago. The world has moved on but Liverpool continues to embarrass itself at every opportunity.

Agree & the national anthem has nothing whatsoever to do with party politics.
If you don’t want to sing keep your mouth shut.
Will the FA come out with an announcement or perhaps a fine?
Would like to see them do so, but can’t see it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
As always, you spout politically polite diatribe and say whatever you think will make you popular with the wannabe bang on trend types.

I have also met many, many Scousers over the years, and in the early years found them cheeky, amusing and full of energy. Only in later years did my opinion change, but the more I look back at early experiences the more I realise that I really do not like or trust a stereotypical Merseysider. Only one in my circle of friends nowadays.

I just tell it like I find it, not pandering to the popularity stakes like you.

Or you just got older and more grumpy?

The popular thing would be to join the band of hatful bitchy folk with their tropes.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Scouse not English, apparently. I'm not sure how this applies to the millions of lifelong Reds from Guildford, Huntingdon, Truro, Dublin, Nairobi, Bangkok and Oslo, but never let that get in the way of a much loved theme.

I'm not a fan of GSTQ, by the way, it's a dreadful song, and nor do I find myself especially bothered whether players are deemed to have sung it with enough passion or not.
Is the correct answer

wuntbedruv

Imagine
Mar 18, 2022
North West Sussex
In the good old days at England games the last thing sung at Wembley would have been god save the queen . Always in the late 60's and 70's and ever since I have sung it the way it was back then.

God save our gracious team
Long live our noble team
God save our team

Happy and glorious
Born to score goals for us
God save our team.

I have no time for a bunch of newbie plastic wankers with their fake outrage trying to hide their anti scouse prejudices trying to push that old dirge down our throats.royal family was irrelevant then and still is.

Last edited:

Brok

😐
Dec 26, 2011
In the good old days at England games the last thing sung at Wembley would have been god save the queen . Always in the late 60's and 70's and ever since I have sung it the way it was back then.

Long live our noble team
God save our team

Happy and glorious
God save our team.

I have no time for a bunch of newbie plastic wankers with their fake outrage trying to hide their anti scouse prejudices trying to push that old dirge down our throats.royal family was irrelevant then and still is.

Hmm.. a bit harsh, perhaps, but I do agree that the National Anthem is a bit of a dirge.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Agree & the national anthem has nothing whatsoever to do with party politics.
If you don’t want to sing keep your mouth shut.
Will the FA come out with an announcement or perhaps a fine?
Would like to see them do so, but can’t see it.

It has nothing to do with Party Politics except cash donations from the likes of Osama Bin Laden's Step brothers and millions in cash in Fortnum and Mason bags. God Save Our Charles good mate of Jimmy Savile.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
So they were booing the anthem because:

A)it's a shit song

B) Some of them have Irish heritage. Unlike the rest of England...

C) Thatcher.

D) The tories are shit.

E) It's the British national anthem and therefore there should be an English specific song played at a domestic English game.

F)Playing a national anthem before a domestic game is stupid.

G) Other

H) all/some of the above

"Some of them have Irish heritage unlike the rest of England"??? The facts are that the on average a UK resident is around 22% Irish. We all know about the Irish hotspots of Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, London and Glasgow where Irish immigrants were desperately needed to work in the factories and docks which made Britain wealthy. But Brighton also had a very large Irish community from the 1840s onwards when the navvies who built the London to Brighton railway reached the end of the line and stayed. These people built the large and impressive St.Mary Magdelene Catholic Church on Upper North Street and many of you reading this will have ancestors amongst them.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
"Some of them have Irish heritage unlike the rest of England"??? The facts are that the on average a UK resident is around 22% Irish. We all know about the Irish hotspots of Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham, Leeds, London and Glasgow where Irish immigrants were desperately needed to work in the factories and docks which made Britain wealthy. But Brighton also had a very large Irish community from the 1840s onwards when the navvies who built the London to Brighton railway reached the end of the line and stayed. These people built the large and impressive St.Mary Magdelene Catholic Church on Upper North Street and many of you reading this will have ancestors amongst them.

That's quite interesting. Did not know that.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo

Yes that was kind of my point. Liverpool is not unique in having Irish ancestry.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Long live our noble team
God save our team

Happy and glorious
God save our team.

:bowdown:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Interesting to know this, thanks.....and yes that is an impressive building.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yep, my Grandparents on my mother’s side came over from Ireland. He worked on the railways and they settled in Seaford. Doesn’t make me anti English. That is a complete nonsense. As to some of the other comments on this thread. Same old same old from a handful.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
The traditional lefty national self loathing is strong in this thread..... the same fools who will castigate England fans for booing another nations anthem.... hypocritical virtue signalling of the highest order.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

Karl Marx had it right……..

"Ireland constantly sends her own surplus to the English labour market, and thus forces down wages and lowers the material and moral position of the English working class... This antagonism is the secret of the impotence of the English working class, despite its organisation. It is the secret by which the capitalist class maintains its power. And the latter is quite aware of this."

The capitalists have always hated the English working class, they love cheap and exploitable Labour by any means………we know who they are.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The traditional lefty national self loathing is strong in this thread..... the same fools who will castigate England fans for booing another nations anthem.... hypocritical virtue signalling of the highest order.

I have moved on to the Womens Football thread! Over there not only can I self-loathingly bash the men's team and their coked up, flare up the arse supporters but I can also simultaneously virtue signal the women. Win Win!, or Win, Win, Win given they actually won something.

Happy days!

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

I think, as this thread proves it’s really the traditional English working class that are despised the most. To quote Orwell…..

“In intention, at any rate, the English intelligentsia are Europeanized. 
They take their cookery from Paris and their opinions from Moscow. In the 
general patriotism of the country they form a sort of island of dissident 
thought. England is perhaps the only great country whose intellectuals 
are ashamed of their own nationality. In left-wing circles it is always 
felt that there is something slightly disgraceful in being an Englishman 
and that it is a duty to snigger at every English institution, from horse 
racing to suet puddings. It is a strange fact, but it is unquestionably 
true that almost any English intellectual would feel more ashamed of 
standing to attention during ‘God save the King’ than of stealing from a 
poor box. All through the critical years many left-wingers were chipping 
away at English morale, trying to spread an outlook that was sometimes 
squashily pacifist, sometimes violently pro-Russian, but always