Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Liverpool Fans booing the National Anthem

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
So they were booing the anthem because:

A)it's a shit song

B) Some of them have Irish heritage. Unlike the rest of England...

C) Thatcher.

D) The tories are shit.

E) It's the British national anthem and therefore there should be an English specific song played at a domestic English game.

F)Playing a national anthem before a domestic game is stupid.

G) Other

H) all/some of the above

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
sure, thats fair and i dont know why bother for this game when no other club games have it (Cup finals). once an anthem is playing though, we should politelty accept it, remain quiet. once you're saying its ok to boo one, all are up for vocal distruption, and then we have the booing the knee or any other pre-game ritual.

I don’t really see the correlation and don’t agree that we should politely accept the National anthem.

Taking the knees and national anthems are different events with very different backgrounds and conitations. While I have no issue with booing the national anthem I’d be embarrassed if a mate of mine booed taking the knee.

We know why taking the knee takes place and with the issues of race in football it would be appalling to disrespect that event imo.

Booing a song about god saving one entitled woman at a football game which she never attends or gives a fig about is fine in my book as it simply seems out of place at best and totally archaic and backwards at worst.

As the camera scanned the stands I saw people singing their own songs, booing, talking to their mates, ignoring it etc. didn’t see many singing along. The masses spoke and it suggests to me that it’s time to get rid.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…………..
The romanticism and sympathy for the inhabitants of Merseyside :sick: are part of the cause of things like the Brighton Kop :tosser:

You can always rely on a scouser to let you down eventually.

As I have said before, over many decades now, personally I have always found Scousers to be a very friendly, welcoming and fun bunch. Equally, you always pop up with these snide posts….

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I don’t sing the NA because I don’t believe in God and I want the monarchy abolished. However, it’s a nice atmosphere builder for a game.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I don’t sing the NA because I don’t believe in God and I want the monarchy abolished. However, it’s a nice atmosphere builder for a game.

This! It’s a shame we don’t have a national anthem that people can all enjoy. Doesn’t need to be specific to anything just a decent tune that gets everyone going. The current version is just horrific.

Guess we couldn’t please everyone though.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Just to let you know, the game is on FTA ITV.
I got home from the Amex and tried Sky, not there. Saw it was on BT which I haven't got and so watched Boro v WBA. Post match wizzed through other channels and there it was on ITV.
Don't think I missed much though.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
I don’t really care, I don’t sing the national anthem mainly because it’s crap, it a commonwealth song really, England should have its own.

I have no hatred for the NA or the royal family….TBH. I don’t really get flag waving at all, had this out with the wife yesterday and she seemed to think a football flag or scarf is the same as a national flag ? I tried to argue but gave up !!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I don’t really see the correlation and don’t agree that we should politely accept the National anthem.

Taking the knees and national anthems are different events with very different backgrounds and conitations. While I have no issue with booing the national anthem I’d be embarrassed if a mate of mine booed taking the knee.

We know why taking the knee takes place and with the issues of race in football it would be appalling to disrespect that event imo.

Booing a song about god saving one entitled woman at a football game which she never attends or gives a fig about is fine in my book as it simply seems out of place at best and totally archaic and backwards at worst.

As the camera scanned the stands I saw people singing their own songs, booing, talking to their mates, ignoring it etc. didn’t see many singing along. The masses spoke and it suggests to me that it’s time to get rid.

so boo when you agree is ok, boo when you dont agree is bad. its a shame you and others cant seperate the principle from whether you like the anthem.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Yes because we have a terrible "national" anthem, only sung by convention at England games because England hasn't got one.

It isn't even about the country, it's a depressing dirge about God saving the Monarch more akin to something sang in North Korea.

You should read the second verse, so embarrassing we don't even bother to sing it.

This old verse I like
Lord grant that Marshal Wade May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring
May he sedition hush
And like a torrent rush Rebellious Scots to crush God save the King

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
I am enjoying England using "Jerusalem" in the Commonwealth Games. I don't see what reason you would have to boo that, unless you were massively seeking attention. Which Liverpool fans are

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
I have heard it all now - football fans expected to have a sense of etiquette. Perhaps they should be required to say grace before they chuck a burger down their throats. Load of pompous nonsense.

I’ve been praying for a bottle top for some time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Good points. And to be fair, who doesn’t like a good boooo and a few rounds of **** the Tories to get things going?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It’s not an international match so why does the anthem need to be sung at all?
I hate this modern idea of a soprano belting out the anthem in any case. It’s for everyone to sing, not a warbler.
Bring back the brass/silver band.

Yep. And when the teams comprise of players from around the world....this isn't the olympics.

Oh well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I am enjoying England using "Jerusalem" in the Commonwealth Games. I don't see what reason you would have to boo that, unless you were massively seeking attention.

Note to self: booooo Jerusalem.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I despise national anthems, cant stand the nationalism they represent. I have not stood for any national anthem since I was about 13. This doesn't mean I wont pick a side in an international match, of course I do. However the level of fervent national identity that is often portrayed at these games turns my stomach.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
so boo when you agree is ok, boo when you dont agree is bad. its a shame you and others cant seperate the principle from whether you like the anthem.

Well it would be fairly stupid booing things you agreed with :facepalm:

And maybe you could explain why everyone should abide by your principles ?

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here