Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Liv golf

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Ross Atkins is like a clanging symbol on a peaceful night.

If we are talking about human rights abuses and immoral conduct we could start looking at the actions of the UK and American governments.

My point here is that too many folk like to make moral judgements based on values and standards that will never apply to them. When folk like to make headlines they are bathing in their own hypocrisy.

If the players want to go it's up to them.If folk don't like that then don't watch it. Which is easy for me, because I find golf boring. So I can pretend that I'm taking a stand.

Us English are good at hypocrisy. I should know, I'm English and I am a hypocrite.

Now, are we all asking where tomorrows fill up for the car is coming from ?

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Shotgun start at 2:30, love a shotgun start.

After careful consideration I am team Majesticks.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The USPGA have said they will life ban all competitors from their events.

Obviously that won't hold up in court, but it'll take a hell of a lot of time and money to overturn it.

My mistake.

The PGA Tour - the week in week out tournaments - want a lifetime ban.
The USPGA - Majors etc - would rather kick the can down the road.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
that highlights a problem with objections. there isnt any formal boycott or sanctions against Saudi, so why not play golf there?

Because individuals have morals and free will.

Yes, they are free to take the money and ignore the moraility of their actions. But equally journalists have the right to ask difficult questions and the rest of us have the right to publicly judge them as greedy amoral w*nkers. Which I do.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I see the participating players are coming in for some tough questioning about the morality of this from journalists. In this situation, they should employ the Frankie Boyle gambit: 'Feel free, by the way, to Tweet your outrage on a smart phone made by a 10-year old in China.'

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
I see the participating players are coming in for some tough questioning about the morality of this from journalists. In this situation, they should employ the Frankie Boyle gambit: 'Feel free, by the way, to Tweet your outrage on a smart phone made by a 10-year old in China.'

They could, but it would be a sh*t response and make them look very stupid. Two wrongs don't make a right, and these two wrongs are not remotely comparable.

They've clearly been told what (and what not) to say and they are sticking to it. Nobody is buying it. We all know they've been pursuaded by money. Greedy f*ckers that they are.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
They could, but it would be a sh*t response and make them look very stupid. Two wrongs don't make a right, and these two wrongs are not remotely comparable.

They've clearly been told what (and what not) to say and they are sticking to it. Nobody is buying it. We all know they've been pursuaded by money. Greedy f*ckers that they are.

No, two wrongs don't make a right, especially when those making moral judgements are confronted with the uncomfortable truth about some of their own decisions.

Anyway, for me, it is not too dissimilar to the identikit line England players trotted out at a recent media day where they had clearly all been been briefed to say they were going to Qatar to "shine a light on human rights issues." Of course, the correct response to that is, "Well, you're not really are you? You're going to play in the World Cup finals - and who could blame you for wanting to do that?" Where huge financial rewards and / or the opportunity for sporting glory are concerned, funnily enough most people leave their morals at the front door.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
It likes a whose who of Golf Bellends. Was suprised Bryson not in the line up and turns up late in the day regular as clock work.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Anyone know of any streams for the action? Doesn't look like it's being covered on any British mainstream TV.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
A great opportunity for the golfers who don't realistically have a chance of winning the 'big one'. Setting your family financially for life is well worth the sneers.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
This is almost as exciting as The Hundred.

el punal

We all know they've been pursuaded by money. Greedy f*ckers that they are.

So why not just say that - as in “I’m at the end of my career (or not), and this amount of dosh will see me comfortable in my retirement.” - rather than the sanctimonious, hypocritical shit about this is good for golf and will help all those poor, disadvantaged people around the world or some such crap.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
So why not just say that - as in “I’m at the end of my career (or not), and this amount of dosh will see me comfortable in my retirement.” - rather than the sanctimonious, hypocritical shit about this is good for golf and will help all those poor, disadvantaged people around the world or some such crap.

To be fair to Dustin Johnson, that's pretty much exactly what he said and made no bones about it. McDowell on the other hand is one for 'golf is a force for good' - I mean honestly, what section of the world's population does he really think have an opportunity to play a round of golf FFS. Best thing to happen to a golf course is as has happened at Waterhall...

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
To be fair to Dustin Johnson, that's pretty much exactly what he said and made no bones about it. McDowell on the other hand is one for 'golf is a force for good' - I mean honestly, what section of the world's population does he really think have an opportunity to play a round of golf FFS

Well quite. Perhaps he will be on Sports Relief this year?

"Meet Abidemi. It isn't yet 8am and he has already walked 5 miles."
"To fetch fresh water from the well for his family?"
"No - it was the only tee time he could get. But your generosity will help us build more golf courses in Ruwanda."

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Anyone know of any streams for the action? Doesn't look like it's being covered on any British mainstream TV.

LIV put it out to tender, but none of the broadcasters, including Sky, would touch it with a shitty stick. And rightly so.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
It likes a whose who of Golf Bellends. Was suprised Bryson not in the line up and turns up late in the day regular as clock work.

I hear Shooter McGavin has signed up too.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here