Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little known, but totally useless local facts.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That suggests that Lord Monk Bretton's old home, Shelley's Folly, is in Chailey. He always thought he lived in Cooksbridge. I think he now lives in Switzerland.

Its rather a crude map. Although to be fair i'm never quite sure where Chailey starts and ends. It doesn't spread out much though, which i suppose is the point.
Any view on the Plumpton/Trumpton "facts" Lord B ?

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Brighton Station was originally touted for 16 different locations. One foremost suggestion had it built next to Brighton Pavilion.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
i had an old boy on the train yesterday telling me that there is a plaque on stamner church that commemorates the vicar of stamner witnessing the execution of oliver cromwell in 1066.

Interesting plaque that would be, as Cromwell wasn't executed, although, allegedly, his body was exhumed and put on hideous display 600 years after that date, having only died, I think, in the 1650s !

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A horse that lives for a year is a yearling. Does that mean that a horse that lives for a week is a weakling?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is a tunnel that connects St Nicholas church, Portslade, with Shoreham harbour, where there is a large underground missile site, ready for when the balloon goes up.

Its rather a crude map. Although to be fair i'm never quite sure where Chailey starts and ends. It doesn't spread out much though, which i suppose is the point.
Any view on the Plumpton/Trumpton "facts" Lord B ?

I've always believed them, pretty much as you've set them out, but I've never come across a local who can tell tales about real people the characters might be based on.

Raymond Briggs has his characters much more firmly located in the area of Underhill Lane.

One thing that might be worth watching out for is the new TV series of Danger Mouse. The chief writer lives in Lewes. Who knows where this might take Penfold and chums?

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
It's 'Rockery', not 'Rookery'.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Interesting plaque that would be, as Cromwell wasn't executed, although, allegedly, his body was exhumed and put on hideous display 600 years after that date, having only died, I think, in the 1650s !

I know the bloke had some belters, but this was the stand out bonkers statement.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I know the bloke had some belters, but this was the stand out bonkers statement.

Another interesting fact is my over use of commas in that post. Seven in the same sentence.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

Didn't Charles 2nd have him exhumed and then have his body hung, drawn and quartered on the banks of the Thames?

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Didn't Charles 2nd have him exhumed and then have his body hung, drawn and quartered on the banks of the Thames?

It was believed to be at Tyburn. Although there are some doubts as to whether it was actually Cromwell's body.

mrhairy

Sep 4, 2004
Brighton
Errol Flynn's Mum got run over by a bubble car outside the Downs Hotel in Woodingdean
Bette Davis lived in Tudor Close Rottingdean for three months
Carry Grant possibly haunts the Club in Rottingdean

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I've always believed them, pretty much as you've set them out, but I've never come across a local who can tell tales about real people the characters might be based on.

Well I grew up in Plumpton in the 60's / 70s. I swear I remember the woman with all the small dogs. We always used to joke that she looked just like the character in Trumpton. This was before anyone had a clue that is was rumored to be actually based on Plumpton.

Binney on acid

NSC Patron
Nov 30, 2003
Shoreham
Lesley Manville used to be in the year below me at secondary school. Unlike her, I never turned out to be a top actress.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Errol Flynn's Mum got run over by a bubble car outside the Downs Hotel in Woodingdean
Bette Davis lived in Tudor Close Rottingdean for three months
Carry Grant possibly haunts the Club in Rottingdean

The guy in Hove that had the Sussex franchise for light blue Disabilty 3 wheeler cars, had a car crash & thereafter had to drive one of his own special cars

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
I grew up in Seaford and there was always talk of a smugglers tunnel from Cuckmere Haven to Alfriston. Some said it went to the Smugglers Arms, (bit obvious) others said it came out at the church. Parsons were partial to a bit of duty free communion wine, I believe.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here