Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Little known, but totally useless local facts.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Here's chailey's "length"

chailey.jpg

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
There are tunnels running under Uckfield high street that connect The Maiden's Head, the Cinque Ports and the church on Church Street. There are also tunnel entrances / exits on the Little Horsted estate that lead all the way into the town centre in one direction and down to Isfield and onto Lewes in the other direction.

Is this in readiness for the Uckfield to Brighton train line?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Here's chailey's "length"

i was wondering... unless there is some archaic reason to show this is "chailey, its not an acceptable answer, it covers four seperate villiages: North Chailey, Chailey, South Street and South Chailey. i dont see how this can claim to be a single settlement.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
i was wondering... unless there is some archaic reason to show this is "chailey, its not an acceptable answer, it covers four seperate villiages: North Chailey, Chailey, South Street and South Chailey. i dont see how this can claim to be a single settlement.

I'm claiming it!

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
The Jack the Ripper murders were never solved, however on the night before each murder the same man stayed overnight in the Cricketeers pub in The Lanes. The only 5 nights he ever stayed, there was a murder the next day

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
I never knew that little known fact but it makes sense. Do you know where the line was? I know the route from the Downsman pub and assumed it came up from (West Hove and) Portslade Station.

The branch line from Aldrington Sation ran northwest behind Amhurst Crescent, past what is now PC World and then across Old Shoreham road just west of the fire station. It continued up the north side of the cemetery and through what is now Knoll Park behind Rowan Avenue. It crossed Hangleton Road just east of Stapley Road and went down past the medical center and across West Way to the left of Hangleton Library. It ran northwards behind the houses on the west side of Popular Avenue across Northeast Drve (where the school is now) and on to cross Sherbourne Road and eventually across Hangleton Way to join the 'cut' below the Downsman pub all the way up to the GC. A lot of the platform is still up there but on a private farm.

Tory Boy

Jun 14, 2004
Brighton
The Clock Tower in Preston Park, the main clock in Brighton Station, and the clock at the front of the Palace Pier are......

All in a straight line.

TB

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
i had an old boy on the train yesterday telling me that there is a plaque on stamner church that commemorates the vicar of stamner witnessing the execution of oliver cromwell in 1066.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here