Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Lions tour of South Africa

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Whilst it was high on tension, in terms of quality and entertainment that 2nd test was a disgrace, the first half alone took in excess of an hour to complete. Neither side came out with any credit.

A really poor show from the Lions, they have so much advantage touring sides don't usually have, facing an undercooked host side who have barely played together in 2 years and very minimal club rugby, no home advantage from the crowd and the feeling of going away into the lions den and playing all games at sea level.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
If every team played like South Africa do all the time, most viewers and supporters would leave the sport.

I can understand that they've become like this in an effort to try and compete with the All Blacks but come on it's tedious and terrible to watch.

The Lions need to try plan B and open the game up or they'll just be beaten by the masters of boring rugby.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I'll add my support to those who have criticised the Boks' way of playing. It's nasty, brutal and tedious. It's also successful. How the Lions can counter it will stretch the talents of the coaching team and the players to the full. The consensus among the pundits seems to be to up the tempo, move the Boks forwards around and not to engage in an arm wrestle.
Easier said than done of course. I'd love to see them go down fighting with a bit of flair. Smith at least should be on the bench and Farrell should be in the stand. Williams and Adams must be worth a punt.
I don't really see a way of winning it - the light cavalry doesn't usually beat the heavy artillery, but it's worth a try. That 2nd Test was a low point for the sport.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I'll add my support to those who have criticised the Boks' way of playing. It's nasty, brutal and tedious. It's also successful. How the Lions can counter it will stretch the talents of the coaching team and the players to the full. The consensus among the pundits seems to be to up the tempo, move the Boks forwards around and not to engage in an arm wrestle.
Easier said than done of course. I'd love to see them go down fighting with a bit of flair. Smith at least should be on the bench and Farrell should be in the stand. Williams and Adams must be worth a punt.
I don't really see a way of winning it - the light cavalry doesn't usually beat the heavy artillery, but it's worth a try. That 2nd Test was a low point for the sport.

True, if we play like we did second half again the Lions will get mullered. If you lose line outs, scrums and can't take high balls you're fecked

The Lions need to find a way to stop SA slowing the game down so much, sap their energy with a high energy running game without getting involved in attrition rugby, but as you say easier said than done. It was a really embarrassing second half performance.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
This test is going to take well over 2 hours to complete. Just awful to watch,; with Nigel Owens as a pundit and the ref miked up it's like watching a referee training video.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It seems the ref is determined to ensure the Lions lose.

Refusing a certain 3 points to tie the match, then losing the scrum will help there.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
19-16 to the Boks f/t, they win the series 2-1. Fair play to them but, Christ, that was a turgid, poor quality series, very little rugby played (especially in those final 2 tests), so disappointing on every level.

For me that is right up there with Netherlands vs Spain World acup Final as one of the most anti-climactic sports occasions.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
19-16 to the Boks f/t, they win the series 2-1. Fair play to them but, Christ, that was a turgid, poor quality series, very little rugby played (especially in those final 2 tests), so disappointing on every level.

For me that is right up there with Netherlands vs Spain as one of the most anti-climactic sports occasions.

If that is the future of rugby union I want no part of it. Springbok rugby is awful to watch.

Ref was determined to give a decision for S.A every time.

So frigging glad we cancelled our trip.
I would love to see Australia and the All Blacks absolutely smash them in their championship.
Horrible team to watch.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The sport needs to look at the amount of time being wasted on VAR and scrum resets. 2 hour test matches are a joke.

There must have been 8 or 9 stoppages of 2 minutes plus. 30 mins plus of time stopped on the clock. And when a former referee is required in the comms box to explain every decision the sport has a problem.

I love Nigel Owens but that commentary did not work for me at all. Bill McLaren and Ian Robertson - you are sorely missed.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Well, I listened in to that as I did for most of this series and that's it for me, I have had enough of being on the wrong end of dodgy decisions, gamesmanship and dodgy interpretations of the rules by the refs. Whether it is Australia, New Zealand or South Africa this always happens so, from now on, I'm out and shan't be bothering again.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
The sport needs to look at the amount of time being wasted on VAR and scrum resets. 2 hour test matches are a joke.

There must have been 8 or 9 stoppages of 2 minutes plus. 30 mins plus of time stopped on the clock. And when a former referee is required in the comms box to explain every decision the sport has a problem.

I love Nigel Owens but that commentary did not work for me at all. Bill McLaren and Ian Robertson - you are sorely missed.

Totally agree, it's not just football that has VAR problems.

That was turgid, attritional garbage, if it weren't for the fact it was the Lions and what was at stake I'd have turned it off after the first test. Rugby Union has plenty to learn from this.

Lions only have themselves to blame, too many mistakes and poor decision making.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Well, I listened in to that as I did for most of this series and that's it for me, I have had enough of being on the wrong end of dodgy decisions, gamesmanship and dodgy interpretations of the rules by the refs. Whether it is Australia, New Zealand or South Africa this always happens so, from now on, I'm out and shan't be bothering again.

I’m gutted for you veg. The effort you put in on this series.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The series was lost when Liam Williams had a 2 on 1 and didn't pass to Josh Adams outside him. That was a 7 point walk in, would have rewarded us for 15 mins of pressure and put us 14 points up.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I’m gutted for you veg. The effort you put in on this series.
And previous series, none of the hype is ever justified. It's a waste of time.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
The last series in New Zealand ended in a fabulous draw and the one before that an exciting 2-1 against The Wallabys..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here