Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Life in Seaford.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Now semi retired like her indoors and although still planning to live in the north Staffordshire area along with other members of our we are looking at a two bed property on the coast. Only been to Seaford a few times unlike Btn, Eastbourne, Lewes etc. So basically what is life like in Seaford ?

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Not a resident but I go there quite a lot because it’s easy to park and a nice walk on the sea front for oldens.
Strikes me as a pleasant place to live - near to Brighton and Eastbourne if you need them but a quietish place with all the shops for most essentials.
I best leave it to the residents on here to comment when they’ve woken from their afternoon nap 🤣

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Seaford blatchington is a better course than Seaford head

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Now semi retired like her indoors and although still planning to live in the north Staffordshire area along with other members of our we are looking at a two bed property on the coast. Only been to Seaford a few times unlike Btn, Eastbourne, Lewes etc. So basically what is life like in Seaford ?

“other members of our…..

Cult?
Ping pong team?
Clan chapter?

Come in, I’m intrigued 🤣

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Whilst I don't live in Seaford have several colleagues that do and it seems like a nice suburb of Eastbourne with decent transport links basically. Definitely seems nicer than Newhaven.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
My family and I moved there 7 years ago and really like it. Its fairly quiet, but there are 4 schools so around those areas it can get very busy in the school run times so just bear that in mind when you're looking at areas to live (if that bothers you). Decent food potions, transport links, pubs etc. The beach is good and very quiet in comparison to Brighton.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I read about this recently: https://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2864.0

Something that had previously passed me by. I wondered if this was the time when Dickens walked to Newhaven to buy seafood, failed because it was early closing and wrote that it was an awful place to which he would never return. I read the latter in a library book decades ago and have been looking, unsuccessfully for the source of the story. Doesn't help the OP at all, sorry.

Seaford has a faded seaside charm, the seafront's very popular for walking despite the crosswind. It's quietish. A lot of retired people living there.

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
It's a good place to travel to Falmer from on match day. End of the line, guaranteed a seat.

Other than that, it's an OK seaside town, the town centre is really unfriendly for pedestrians, but really it's all about the lovely seafront, massively long beach and walks up Seaford Head.

Coldeanseagull

Opinionated
Mar 13, 2013
Coldean
My family and I moved there 7 years ago and really like it. Its fairly quiet, but there are 4 schools so around those areas it can get very busy in the school run times so just bear that in mind when you're looking at areas to live (if that bothers you). Decent food potions, transport links, pubs etc. The beach is good and very quiet in comparison to Brighton.
The witches of Seaford, no doubt :wink:

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Moved to Seaford from Hove 3 years ago and don't regret it one bit. Personally think it's a well kept secret, lovely long beach, relatively quiet outside the holiday season, and even then it doesn't get too over-crowded. Some nice little restaurants too.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Got friends who moved there when they retired (early), they absolutely love it. Running on the downs on the doorstep, bought SUPs etc etc.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I read about this recently: https://sussexhistoryforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=2864.0

I wondered if this was the time when Dickens walked to Newhaven to buy seafood, failed because it was early closing and wrote that it was an awful place to which he would never return. I read the latter in a library book decades ago and have been looking, unsuccessfully for the source of the story.
It's all in his diaries and collected letters:

Wednesday 7th February 1867
Rose early; breakfasted on coddled eggs then tarried west, up, down and along the coastal path to the village of Newhaven, to verily purchase therein fresh supplies of smoke'd mackerel and crab smut. Imagine, dear reader, your favourite author's dark sense of disappointment and bad humour to discover upon my arrival that not one single or solitary mongery engaged in the provision of seafood remained open to the casual caller. I sense I shall not misemploy my valued time to visit again.

Went home and had a wank.

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
It's all in his diaries and collected letters:

Wednesday 7th February
Rose early; breakfasted on coddled eggs then tarried west, up, down and along the coastal path to the village of Newhaven, to verily purchase therein fresh supplies of smoke'd mackerel and crab smut. Imagine, dear reader, your favourite author's dark sense of disappointment and bad humour to discover upon my arrival that not one single or solitary mongery engaged in the provision of seafood remained open to the casual caller. I sense I shall not visit again.

Went home and had a wank.
:lol:

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Lived here for 18 years. Tend to think of it as a large village rather than a town as you soon get to feel you know a lot of people, especially if your kids are at school here.

Shop-wise you can generally find most of what you’re ever likely to need for day to day needs and even some of the extras.

Personally I’m not really a fan of any of the pubs, and rarely eat out in the town itself, but there’s easy access to country pubs and obviously some good eateries in Brighton or Lewes.

It’s a fairly classless (in a good way) and very unpretentious place. Great countryside too and the beach is a big draw. Plenty I would change if I had the power and the money but part of me prefers it a bit rough around the edges.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Lived here now for over 20 years. Still love it. The beach and promenade, 7 sisters country park, Seaford Head all make it special. The town like most has lost some decent high Street shops but it still has a butcher, Greengrocer, and a varied selection of eateries plus a Morrisons. Also the population is getting younger due to very good schools, cheaper property than Eastbourne or Brighton. Finally it has an excellent frequent bus service to Eastbourne or Brighton and the Trains to Brighton, Gatwick or London are good..

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
h0lgewdsvn1kbb4lsqhp.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here