Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Liam Moore

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I think this perpetual debate about whether we should look to pay serious money for a central defender, or sign an ageing journeyman, is pointless anyway.

If Tony Bloom has the money and is willing to sepnd it then let him do it! Fourth choice or not, l'm sure he will be getting some game time this coming season, and it would be nice to have someone really capable around the place, and putting pressure on those above him for thier starting place.

Us supporters who have been around for long enough and followed the team through all those dark years, have become ingrained into thinking that we have to mend and make do, put up with other teams cast offs etc. Well hey, all of a sudden now we don't have to, and isn't that great?

Absolutely this, Bloom will have given Hughton a transfer budget at the beginning of the summer. If he was able to fill all the positions that he needed within that budget and still have the money left to spend out on a good centre half that provides genuine competition then why wouldn't he?!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I would imagine that he will be looking for someone who is good in the air and with the ball at his feet, similar to Dunk. Why wouldn't he be looking to upgrade if the right player comes available and he has the money to spend?

He clearly didn't see Goldson as being good enough.

Dunk's weakest point is in the air as he doesnt win enough crosses for a man who is 6ft 4 in tall Duffy is far better and it remains tro be seen about Ballogun and if Moore is should we sign him., Dunk is far better than Duffy on the ground and with the ball at his feet though.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
That is a valid point but the argument against is the fact that we sold Goldson who was better on the ground than Duffy as is Balogun it seems but Duffy is immense in the air and by far our best defensive header.

Absoluitely, and why are people looking to disband what was one of the best central defensive partnerships in the league last season? I'm sue that Shane Duffy is one of the very first names on Chrish Hughton's team sheet every week, and long may that continue l say.

Duffy is immense in the air, and Dunk is great with the ball at his feet, an ideal combination l would say. Having Balogun, and possibly Liam Moore to put pressure on their starting places and spur them on, is all to the good in my opion.

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
Absoluitely, and why are people looking to disband what was one of the best central defensive partnerships in the league last season? I'm sue that Shane Duffy is one of the very first names on Chrish Hughton's team sheet every week, and long may that continue l say.

Duffy is immense in the air, and Dunk is great with the ball at his feet, an ideal combination l would say. Having Balogun, and possibly Liam Moore to put pressure on their starting places and spur them on, is all to the good in my opion.

All a matter of opinions but personally I think in the modern game you need 2 centre halves who are good with the ball at their feet. I think Duffy's deficiency in this area will restrict our play and particularly against teams who play a high pressing game. Duffy is perfect for backs against the wall, 10 men behind the ball type of scenarios when the only goal is to get enough points to stay up, but if we want to push higher up the league my personal opinion is that he is not good enough.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
All a matter of opinions but personally I think in the modern game you need 2 centre halves who are good with the ball at their feet. I think Duffy's deficiency in this area will restrict our play and particularly against teams who play a high pressing game. Duffy is perfect for backs against the wall, 10 men behind the ball type of scenarios when the only goal is to get enough points to stay up, but if we want to push higher up the league my personal opinion is that he is not good enough.

I don't think people will realise how valuable Duffy is to the team until he's not there

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
So much guff written about Duffy

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I don't think people will realise how valuable Duffy is to the team until he's not there

Agree that he has been very valuable in keeping us up and in the current way that we play but i think if we stay up this year and push on then Hughton will be looking for more from his centre halves.

Putting it another way, there is a lot of speculation both on here and in the broader footballing world that one day a big money bid could come in for Dunk from one of the top teams. Could you ever see the situation where a team with genuine aspirations to qualify for Europe or even just finish in the top half of the table would put a bid in for Duffy? I personally could never see that happen because he is not good enough.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Agree that he has been very valuable in keeping us up and in the current way that we play but i think if we stay up this year and push on then Hughton will be looking for more from his centre halves.

Putting it another way, there is a lot of speculation both on here and in the broader footballing world that one day a big money bid could come in for Dunk from one of the top teams. Could you ever see the situation where a team with genuine aspirations to qualify for Europe or even just finish in the top half of the table would put a bid in for Duffy? I personally could never see that happen because he is not good enough.
You have said it a few times now that Duffy isn't good enough. Of course you are wrong though. He isn't good enough for one of the top teams neither is Dunk though . Don't kid yourself. Both are perfectly capable for us at this level. Both players are also good enough for us to finish top half.despite what you say. It's other areas we are weaker in like up top.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

I realise that we would all like to press on and finish much higher up the table, (and that may werll be achievable given time), but l think next season may well be backs to the wall time again, and another relegation fight, and who is the ideal player in that situation? You said it yourself, big Shane Duffy.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
You have said it a few times now that Duffy isn't good enough. Of course you are wrong though. He isn't good enough for one of the top teams neither is Dunk though . Don't kid yourself. Both are perfectly capable for us at this level. Both players are also good enough for us to finish top half.despite what you say. It's other areas we are weaker in like up top.

Agreed. Our central defensive partnership was the strongest part of our team last season, why are people so keen to break it up?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Even with our summer purchases proving to be successful I do not see us suddenly becoming a team to push for Europe or win a trophy. I will be happy to finish mid-table away from the relegation battle and for that we will need a competitive Dunk and Duffy

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Correct......

Goals scored, not conceded is our area for most improvement

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
What is all this sudden waffle about Duffys weak points etc. He was outstanding for most of last season, Remember after the 3-0 win against West ham? The media were raving about him and Dunk. Duffy wins nearly every header, that with the amount of blocked shots he had last season also speaks volumes for how well he did.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Even with our summer purchases proving to be successful I do not see us suddenly becoming a team to push for Europe or win a trophy. I will be happy to finish mid-table away from the relegation battle and for that we will need a competitive Dunk and Duffy

Lovely to think that we could finish mid table, but l fear survival will be the best that we can aim for this season. Personally l will be very happy if we can achieve that. As the saying goes, Rome wasn't built in a day. Getting ourselves established in the Premier League is a slow process.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Agree that he has been very valuable in keeping us up and in the current way that we play but i think if we stay up this year and push on then Hughton will be looking for more from his centre halves. Putting it another way, there is a lot of speculation both on here and in the broader footballing world that one day a big money bid could come in for Dunk from one of the top teams. Could you ever see the situation where a team with genuine aspirations to qualify for Europe or even just finish in the top half of the table would put a bid in for Duffy? I personally could never see that happen because he is not good enough.

Chris will always be in the market for to improve the squad but I don't think you have any idea how highly he thinks of Duffy and Dunk

Half Time Pies

Sep 7, 2003
Brighton
I realise that we would all like to press on and finish much higher up the table, (and that may werll be achievable given time), but l think next season may well be backs to the wall time again, and another relegation fight, and who is the ideal player in that situation? You said it yourself, big Shane Duffy.

Agreed, thats why I was specifically talking about it being in the longer term. If Hughton can help it he never likes throwing new players in at the deep end so the plan might be to get someone like Liam in and give them a season or so to adjust to the Premiership.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Agreed, thats why I was specifically talking about it being in the longer term. If Hughton can help it he never likes throwing new players in at the deep end so the plan might be to get someone like Liam in and give them a season or so to adjust to the Premiership.

See post #796

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here