Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Liam Brady leaving Arsenal in 2014

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
Liam Brady will always be a legend to Brighton fans for what he did for us.

I keep reading what a great job he did at Arsenal and that it is the end of an era but genuine question, how much success has he had there bringing players through in the past few years? I thought most of the players they brought through had been brought in from other academys/clubs? Ashley Cole just, Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs are the only top players I can think of that they had from the beginning during his time. Players like Fabregas, Theo, Jenkinson, Ox-Chamb, Ramsey etc were all bought in. Lansbury and Bentley were highly regarded at youth level but havent really developed. Sidwell has done ok.

As I say, he is a Brighton legend and it would make sense in many ways coming to us but is he being over rated for his youth record at Arsenal? I might be wrong but I cant see that Arsenal have brought through many more top players since 1996 than top clubs such as United, City, Liverpool, Everton or even clubs like Southampton.

Please don't mention S*******ton. You'll just be attracting that t*t Redneb to our board. He's probably scrolling through these pages as we speak, playing with himself at the nearest sniff of his club being mentioned :lolol:

ees complicated no?

Apr 3, 2011
Hove, United Kingdom

I keep reading what a great job he did at Arsenal and that it is the end of an era but genuine question, how much success has he had there bringing players through in the past few years? I thought most of the players they brought through had been brought in from other academys/clubs? Ashley Cole just, Jack Wilshere and Kieran Gibbs are the only top players I can think of that they had from the beginning during his time. Players like Fabregas, Theo, Jenkinson, Ox-Chamb, Ramsey etc were all bought in. Lansbury and Bentley were highly regarded at youth level but havent really developed. Sidwell has done ok.

As I say, he is a Brighton legend and it would make sense in many ways coming to us but is he being over rated for his youth record at Arsenal? I might be wrong but I cant see that Arsenal have brought through many more top players since 1996 than top clubs such as United, City, Liverpool, Everton or even clubs like Southampton.

So who would you have who's better qualified?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
I'm not saying there is anyone better available. I dont know the calibre, qualification of coach or salary expectation we will be be looking for and it would be great from a purely sentimental point of view but I just believe his record at Arsenal is over rated.

Wow thats quite a statement, its Bradys job to get them to the first team, after that its upto them if they kick on as it were.
There are literally dozens of players, 1st team players that have come through under his guidance.

Id be absolutely bloody delighted if Brady was to run our academy.

goldstone rocks

Feb 25, 2009
Who believes in coincidences?

LB who lives in Hove, commutes to London and has to stay up at the Emirates overnight, is to leave Arsenal academy May 2014.

BHA academy which has ground work starting now, has handover to club in July 14?

Must be a coincidence..

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East

Even if it's only Wilshere & Gibbs, to have 2 players in their 1st XI who have come through the academy is pretty good in the context of the modern era. How many (at least fairly recent) academy players have gone on to make regular champions league appearances for the likes of Man U (Jonny Evans?), Chelsea (?) & Liverpool(?)?

There may be more academy graduates coming through at clubs of a lesser standing, but their competition is of a lower standard, so it's easier to break through.

poidy

Aug 3, 2009
As much as Liam Brady clearly has a soft spot for the Albion, he's also clearly a Gunner at heart. The only reason I can see for his departure next year is so he can go into semi retirement/retirement. Although its not entirely inconceivable that Bloom hasn't tapped him up. Time will tell I suppose

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Liam always had one hand tied behind his back when he was our manager. It would be great if he could work here under proper ownership.

bomber130

bomber130
Jun 10, 2011

As the saying goes you can't polish a turd but he appears to have moulded the odd one or two.:lolol::lolol:

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

LB who lives in Hove, commutes to London and has to stay up at the Emirates overnight, is to leave Arsenal academy May 2014.

BHA academy which has ground work starting now, has handover to club in July 14?

Must be a coincidence..

This.

Yes please.

(I'm late, this story passed me by at the time) :cheers:

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How many players has Dean Wilkins, a hero to many, brought from youth set up to Premier in comparison to Brady,none that I can think of. Wilkins brought a lot of lower league top non league players through but no big names like Willshire and Gibbs. If we can get him Brady would be the ideal head of our academy a well respected knowledgeably man who most fathers would be prepared and delighted to have their sons be under for football guidance.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

Didn't Arsenal fetch over £7m in fees from Bentley? If we could produce inadequate players that can be sold for that kind of money it can't br a bad thing?

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
Would love it if Brady was involved with us.

Ludensian Gull

Apr 18, 2009
Thorpness Suffolk

Must be a coincidence..

HE has just bought a house in Highbury. New development just completed.

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside
HE has just bought a house in Highbury. New development just completed.

Probably a buy-to-let innit. :thumbsup:

ps Would absolutely LOVE to see Chippy B being involved with our new training facility. Couldn't think of a better fit meself.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here