Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk - on the plane to Germany if fit?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
He’s not been great this season and last night was possibly his worst performance in an Albion shirt. I wonder if there are some underlying injury problems or it’s just age catching up with him.

I do think he’s better when he has someone with a bit of pace next to him (e.g. Colwill or Webster before injuries ruined him) so hopefully that is a priority in the summer.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
The Athletic did a feature earlier this week on the England for the Euros and six or seven of their journos picked their squads and not one of them picked Dunk.
Some even had Branthwaite as in it.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The Athletic did a feature earlier this week on the England for the Euros and six or seven of their journos picked their squads and not one of them picked Dunk.
Some even had Branthwaite as in it.
Being honest I’d probably have Branthwaite in it ahead of him too, the kid is quality. Far too good for Everton.

SAC

May 21, 2014
He's just about got time to turn it around but I wouldn't take him based on current form. Not sure if it is age or an injury catching up on him.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
He was already a slim chance pick with Southgate,... that very visible omnishamble last night will just ensure Dunky has a nice sub-tropical tan when he returns to pre-season.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I love him but he is not a big game player unfortunately. Too many times he's lost his head and f***ed up when the pressure is on. Marseille away and last night are proof just this season. Not who you want starting international knockout games.
I don’t blame him because he’s come up through the leagues with us - so he’s not really benefitted from European football, big occasions etc - but agreed it’s that extra 1 or 2% of a mentality thing

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I'd be very surprised if he's in next week's England squad. And I suspect anyone not in that (who isn't a shoo-in anyway) is going to face a massive uphill battle to make the Euros squad.

It's not impossible, but I wouldn't be putting any money on it at all right now.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
He's not in great form this season, and I'd say may be in his worst patch of form for a fair old while. That said, given Southgate's selection process I'd say that being out of form works in his favour if Phillips, Maguire and Henderson are anything to go by.

GJN1

Nov 4, 2014
Brighton
He's not in great form this season, and I'd say may be in his worst patch of form for a fair old while. That said, given Southgate's selection process I'd say that being out of form works in his favour if Phillips, Maguire and Henderson are anything to go by.
That only applies to them. For everyone else, it's whether they're playing regularly and playing well.

Reddleman

May 17, 2017
If we pick an all time Brighton 11 he’s in it. But he’s not good enough for England at the Euros. In arguably our two biggest games of the season he’s made a horrendous individual error that’s lead directly to a goal.

Deep down Southgate can’t trust him not to make an error like that in a knock out match. He’s also at the end of his career, why wouldn’t you take a Branthwaite who could have ten years of international ahead of him.

Javeaseagull

Feb 22, 2014
Yes i agree especially with Southgate tending to pick younger players anyway.

If it’s a choice between Dunk and Branthwaite for fifth choice CB you couldn’t complain if the youngster gets the nod. Stones, Maguire, Guehi are all ahead of him but you never know with injuries etc Southgate may take both. Selfishly I would like Dunk to have the summer off and I can keep moaning about Southgate! :D

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Branthwaite should not be in the England squad. He’s a solid defender but nowhere near good enough on the ball if England want to play progressive possession football.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Wasn’t he a certainty to be picked only a couple of months ago ? Had a brilliant game at Wembley against someone or other. I wouldn’t rule him out basis a few mistakes that all defenders make.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Wasn’t he a certainty to be picked only a couple of months ago ? Had a brilliant game at Wembley against someone or other. I wouldn’t rule him out basis a few mistakes that all defenders make.
Two mistakes leading to goals in two games…..Southgate’s analysts won’t be pushing his case

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here