Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lewis Dunk - on the plane to Germany if fit?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
90min have taken the "on the plane" analogy a bit further and divided players into...

Flying business class - definitely going
Ready to board - likely to go
Waiting at the gate - could go
At the airport hotel - unlikely to go
On standby - very unlikely to go

...with our captain classified as "waiting at the gate".

I'm biased, obviously, but I'd hope his solid performances for England would have him higher up in the pecking order than that now.

What say you?

Charles 'Charley' Charles

NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2005
The Mile Of Oaks
He absolutely should go, but the only nagging doubt in my mind would be whether Southgate thinks pulling out of 2 of the last 4 squads is acceptable, or if he thinks he might be prone to injury.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
90min have taken the "on the plane" analogy a bit further and divided players into...

Flying business class - definitely going
Ready to board - likely to go
Waiting at the gate - could go
At the airport hotel - unlikely to go
On standby - very unlikely to go

...with our captain classified as "waiting at the gate".

I'm biased, obviously, but I'd hope his solid performances for England would have him higher up in the pecking order than that now.

What say you?
Are you paid to plug 90min content, Bozza? Don't see anyone plugging their content as much as you!

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
He absolutely should go, but the only nagging doubt in my mind would be whether Southgate thinks pulling out of 2 of the last 4 squads is acceptable, or if he thinks he might be prone to injury.
This is probably right, although it depends on who else is an injury problem, has a good run of form, etc.

The pool of CBs is as below and Stones and Maguire, if fit, are probably "flying business class". With the squads being 23 instead of 25 for the Euros, does GS take 4 or 5 of those CBs? Will Dunk be one of those 2/3 picks?
  • Stones
  • Maguire
  • Guehi
  • Dunk
  • Tomori
  • Colwill
  • Konsa

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Barring injuries, I think it’s very unlikely he’ll go to be honest and based on his recent record around internationals, he’ll probably be injured then anyway and will get a nice rest instead which suits me!

Unfortunately for Dunk, I don’t think he’ll win any more caps now.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
This is probably right, although it depends on who else is an injury problem, has a good run of form, etc.

The pool of CBs is as below and Stones and Maguire, if fit, are probably "flying business class". With the squads being 23 instead of 25 for the Euros, does GS take 4 or 5 of those CBs? Will Dunk be one of those 2/3 picks?
  • Stones
  • Maguire
  • Guehi
  • Dunk
  • Tomori
  • Colwill
  • Konsa
Konsa is good and deserves a chance, I think he’s got a very good chance of making it, especially if Villa win the Conference League and the extra exposure that will give him on a European level.

I also reckon Jarrad Branthwaite has got a very good chance of being in the squad ahead of Dunk.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
As I don’t think he’s played in a meaningful England game yet I think he’ll be in the airport Hilton. Maguire will be flying the plane

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
If he is fit it would be absolutely criminal not to take him. Surely he will be on the plane.

(Obviously it's absolutely criminal he doesn't have 50 caps already and is behind that oaf Maguire in the pecking order)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I suspect we'll get our answer when the squad for the March friendlies is announced.

If he makes that squad and plays a part, he'll be in alongside Guehi and possibly A.N. Other. If he pulls out through injury again, or doesn't play, that'll be that.

Attributes wise he is the only real cover England have for Maguire (should be starting ahead of him as we all know, but that's another point). None of the other options really cover that type of centre back, IMO.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Stones and Maguire nailed on to go unless injured. Guehi ahead of Dunk now (younger and did well enough) so waiting at the gate probably right (at best). His best hope is Slabhead getting injured or Southgate getting a bang on the head.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Konsa is good and deserves a chance, I think he’s got a very good chance of making it, especially if Villa win the Conference League and the extra exposure that will give him on a European level.

I also reckon Jarrad Branthwaite has got a very good chance of being in the squad ahead of Dunk.
Agree about Konsa - he's playing really well and has barely missed a minute this season. Also 26 so a great age to bed in with some of the other options starting to age... (A real shame we missed out on him when he went to Brentford tbh).

Think the Euros will come far too soon for Branthwaite. Only just broken into the Everton side and still playing for the England U21s.

It's probably between a choice between Dunk/Tomori and Konsa/Colwill for the 4th and 5th CBs (or 1 of those four if he goes with 4 CBs).

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
That'll be how Southgate sees it, for sure. But let's be honest, Maguire shouldn't be.
Perhaps, but also perhaps not. I'm one of those who is a bit more understanding of Southgate than most. He clearly wanted to build a side over the long term with a stable core over a long period of time and a back 2 of Maguire and Stones (with Pickford) is a key pillar to that idea.

The other thing to notice is that despite the tabloid-esque headlines, United have had a complete turnaround in form in the PL in their last 5 games (4 wins, 1 loss to Citeh). The difference has been the reintroduction of Harry Maguire to the starting XI. He hasn't missed a second since (in the league). City game aside, that's 2 goals conceded across 4 wins. Whilst he's been a fun figure to take the piss out of, if he continues his current form, he's a deserved shoe in.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Stones and Maguire nailed on to go unless injured. Guehi ahead of Dunk now (younger and did well enough) so waiting at the gate probably right (at best). His best hope is Slabhead getting injured or Southgate getting a bang on the head.
I don't quite see it that way. I reckon Southgate sees Guehi as Stones cover, and Dunk as Maguire cover. Hopefully (not even hopefully, Dunk should be starting, but you know what I mean).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here