Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Let's catch the scumbag who did this

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Sort of interesting, tho nobody going about their lawful business under any kind of influence would be doing that kind of speed in that place at that time tho eh? And nobody crossing a random street in the middle of town in the middle of the afternoon would expect such a thing to happen. Driver deserves every damn thing that's coming their way, and a whole lot more besides. Total c*nt.

I agree. I wasn't looking for mitigating circumstances.

A car doing a 70mph on a motorway looks like 30mph, and a car doing 35mph on a small town road on a bend looks like 70mph. I was just wondering what the actual speed was. He may have been doing 40-50mph, it is difficult to tell.

Clearly he had his foot down, deserves prison and a lifetime driving ban. If that happened to a parent with children the children probably wouldn’t have survived.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Can we all just agree on hating this bloke together pleaaase.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Possibly thought he'd successfully negotiated the corner (which he pretty much did) before finding his next obstacle.

He was partway across the oncoming lane so would likely have hit something coming the other way if there had been anything (the victim looks like he was over the white line when he was hit)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
A man arrested in connection with the Brighton hit and run has been released on police bail.
The 31-year-old from Brighton was arrested on suspicion of driving a vehicle dangerously, causing serious injury by dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking, failing to stop at the scene of an road accident, driving without a licence or insurance and attempting to pervert the course of justice.
He has been bailed until April 3 while investigations continue.

The 31-year-old man from Brighton was detained last night after trying to hide on a roof in Donald Hall Road.
He was held on suspicion of dangerous driving causing serious injury, attempting to pervert the course of justice and aggravated vehicle taking.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14234191.Man_bailed_in_Brighton_hit_and_run_case/

Hiding from the Police has to be a sign of guilt.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
The victim can't remember the collision. Good job there's a decent lot of CCTV, he's now got the movie. I thought I was watching GTA6.

Good point, the good they do far outweighs the bad.

Come to think of it, I can't think of any bad.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
A man arrested in connection with the Brighton hit and run has been released on police bail.
The 31-year-old from Brighton was arrested on suspicion of driving a vehicle dangerously, causing serious injury by dangerous driving, aggravated vehicle taking, failing to stop at the scene of an road accident, driving without a licence or insurance and attempting to pervert the course of justice.
He has been bailed until April 3 while investigations continue.

The 31-year-old man from Brighton was detained last night after trying to hide on a roof in Donald Hall Road.
He was held on suspicion of dangerous driving causing serious injury, attempting to pervert the course of justice and aggravated vehicle taking.

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/14234191.Man_bailed_in_Brighton_hit_and_run_case/

Hiding from the Police has to be a sign of guilt.

I'm absolutely gobsmacked he has now been released on bail. First he drives off after a hit and run and then tries to evade capture by hiding on a roof.

I thought he was nailed on to be remanded in custody especially as he is looking at a custodial sentence

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I'm absolutely gobsmacked he has now been released on bail. First he drives off after a hit and run and then tries to evade capture by hiding on a roof.

I thought he was nailed on to be remanded in custody especially as he is looking at a custodial sentence

In all but the most serious cases (murder etc) then you are entitled to bail. To seek a remand in custody, the CPS must convince a court that there are good reasons not to bail such as:
prevent further offending
prevent interfering with witnesses
likely to abscond (would generally need to show they have done it before)

If he doesn't turn up when he's supposed to then he will have commited an offence and can be sentenced for that too.
Remanding in custody is very serious and, if convicted, would be offset against his sentence; if he were found not guilty, he could have spent months inside for something he didn't do.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
In all but the most serious cases (murder etc) then you are entitled to bail. To seek a remand in custody, the CPS must convince a court that there are good reasons not to bail such as:
prevent further offending
prevent interfering with witnesses
likely to abscond (would generally need to show they have done it before)

If he doesn't turn up when he's supposed to then he will have commited an offence and can be sentenced for that too.
Remanding in custody is very serious and, if convicted, would be offset against his sentence; if he were found not guilty, he could have spent months inside for something he didn't do.
Is he allowed to carry on driving like a ****!?

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
While I understand which angle you're coming at this from, I can't understand why?

What difference does it make whether he was planning on heading straight on originally or not? Either way the speed is many, many times in excess of what is acceptable and safe in that situation, so I don't quite understand what the route has to do with anything?

Looking at the video, the taxi driver started to pull out of the junction before the scumbag driver 1st appears in shot, the taxi is completely blocking the carriageway when the car reaches the turning so i guess it's possible that he had hoped that the taxi driver would have floored it too to get out of his way but realising he wouldn't be, then thought where do i go? - in front of the taxi and possibly towards oncoming traffic / hitting the taxi as it moves out? or make the turn and hope you get around the bend safely but didn't (if the taxi wasn't there or turned left instead of going right as it appears to be in the videoin the video, then maybe the car wouldn't have turned off and the guy wouldn't have been hit so circumstance played a small role in it? but isn't in any way an excuse for what happened or how he was driving)

At that speed, the driver didn't give himself enough time to react safely which ever way he picked, which also begs the question, if you were in a stolen car and you arn't being pursued by the Police at the time, why would you drive so fast? (not that being pursued by the Police is an excuse to speed either) that would surely only attract attention to yourself and give people the chance to report a dangerously driven vehicle which they may increase the chance that the Police search for and chase after you?

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Yep, though he has got to face people he knows who will think and call him a c*** for the next 3 months, will probably lose friends if he had any. He won't be able to show his face and he will have to sweat it out knowing he will be banged up with prisoners who will hate him as well.

Just have to look on the bright side :)

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Sort of interesting, tho nobody going about their lawful business under any kind of influence would be doing that kind of speed in that place at that time tho eh? And nobody crossing a random street in the middle of town in the middle of the afternoon would expect such a thing to happen. Driver deserves every damn thing that's coming their way, and a whole lot more besides. Total c*nt.

and Tom what will that be ? 6 points and a fine ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
and Tom what will that be ? 6 points and a fine ?

Starting point for Dangerous Driving is a custodial sentence. Aggravating factors appear to be injuries caused, excess speed, attempting to avoid detection so I'd say that pushes firmly into Crown court territory. I'd say he's looking at 6-9 months inside (if he's a first time offender and pleads guilty)
12 month disqualification and extended retest is mandatory

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Starting point for Dangerous Driving is a custodial sentence. Aggravating factors appear to be injuries caused, excess speed, attempting to avoid detection so I'd say that pushes firmly into Crown court territory. I'd say he's looking at 6-9 months inside (if he's a first time offender and pleads guilty)
12 month disqualification and extended retest is mandatory
Car thieves tend to have quite a history of that particular crime. It' almost an addiction

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
In a word, yes, until he's been convicted of an offence.
Except he was arrested on suspicion of driving without a licence amongst other offences, so, if that's the case, no not allowed.

Last edited:

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Except he's been charged with driving without a licence amongst other charges, so, no not allowed.

He's been bailed by police, not charged. Even if he had been charged, he cannot be disqualified until he is convicted in court.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
He's been bailed by police, not charged. Even if he had been charged, he cannot be disqualified until he is convicted in court.
Yes, I corrected my post as noticed it wasn't quite right.

But surely he would still not have a licence, regardless, so wouldn't be allowed to drive in those terms .

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Yes, I corrected my post as noticed it wasn't quite right.

But surely he would still not have a licence, regardless, so wouldn't be allowed to drive in those terms .

Until convicted he can still drive. If the police had grave concerns that he would drive dangerously whist on bail then they could stick him before the court and ask for a remand but there would have to be very compelling evidence.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Until convicted he can still drive. If the police had grave concerns that he would drive dangerously whist on bail then they could stick him before the court and ask for a remand but there would have to be very compelling evidence.
This is a trivial issue, but I still can't see how he's actually allowed to drive if he actually doesn't have a driving licence, which was one of his reasons for arrest ? ???

Is anyone without a driving licence allowed to drive unless they are caught and appear in court ? ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here