Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lessons from Reading game.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I agree with everything you say. I would add that Barnes and Vicente seem to be striking up a great understanding and barring one minor dalliance, Dicker was also quietly very good.

My biggest worry is that Dunk has now made three AWFUL mistakes in two matches. The quality of the opposition is irrelevant too because they would have been capitalised on by Hastings, let alone Chelsea. It was no shock that after his error, El-Abd was sent out straight away to warm up and then Dunk was subbed off shortly after.

I know friendlies mean nothing but I would still prefer El-Abd ahead of Dunk because I think El-Abd has better concentration (I do also think Dunk is excellent, but he does have defensive Lynch-esque lapses). I also thought Noone was a little disappointing, as usual there was great running but with the exception of one great far-post cross almost no decent end product at all.

On a positive note though, Kuszczak, Bruno, Greer, Dicker, Calderon, and Crofts were very solid, Vicente, Barnes and Bridcutt were exceptional as against Chelsea. Things are looking very positive so far!

Actually thought noone was good last night ....hey ho....rev were u in north last night?...i was and can now say i prefer side on view which wil b the upper east this season

Last edited:

Actually thought none was good last night ....hey ho....rev were u in north last night?...i was and can now say i prefer side on view which wil b the upper east this season

Back row of north last night so the view not too bad,JUST SEEMED TO BE ALOT OF SELF ABSORBED PEOPLE SHOUTING UTTER RUBBISH,MIGHT JUST HAVE GOT OLD I SUPPOSE:blush:

CAN'T WAIT FOR CARDIFF IN THE ESU:mad:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Lesson from last night's game: Don't take testimonials - where players are mostly looking to stay injury free - too seriously. It was played at nothing like the pace and competitiveness of the Chelsea game.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
not even wardy had the skill and composure of this man:albion2:

Eh ? Peter Ward on the ball was mesmerising , he could also skip past 4 or 5 players as if they weren't there and knew where the back of the net was. Vicente is pure class but please give some credit to Wardy.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Eh ? Peter Ward on the ball was mesmerising , he could also skip past 4 or 5 players as if they weren't there and knew where the back of the net was. Vicente is pure class but please give some credit to Wardy.
You're right, Wardy was amazing. Vicente is still amazing. It's not fair to compare as different teams, eras and styles. Both players have the capacity to raise the crowd excitement levels at whim. I think Vicente is the first player we've had since Wardy with this ability, it's been a long wait. I love them both in a totally manly way. :D

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
I agree with everything you say. I would add that Barnes and Vicente seem to be striking up a great understanding and barring one minor dalliance, Dicker was also quietly very good.

My biggest worry is that Dunk has now made three AWFUL mistakes in two matches. The quality of the opposition is irrelevant too because they would have been capitalised on by Hastings, let alone Chelsea. It was no shock that after his error, El-Abd was sent out straight away to warm up and then Dunk was subbed off shortly after.

I know friendlies mean nothing but I would still prefer El-Abd ahead of Dunk because I think El-Abd has better concentration (I do also think Dunk is excellent, but he does have defensive Lynch-esque lapses). I also thought Noone was a little disappointing, as usual there was great running but with the exception of one great far-post cross almost no decent end product at all.

On a positive note though, Kuszczak, Bruno, Greer, Dicker, Calderon, and Crofts were very solid, Vicente, Barnes and Bridcutt were exceptional as against Chelsea. Things are looking very positive so far!

Imo El Abd should automatically be ahead of Dunk, he probably will be anyway

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I thought Bruno was sheer class last night. Right up until the moment when he didn't even get off the ground to challenge Robson-Kanu for a high, looping cross. That's all it takes, one error...I'm sure it was pointed out to him!

pea

Dec 28, 2011
North Laine
Surprised none of you are worried about your defence at set pieces. Every corner or free kick we put in the box there seemed to be only yellow shirts attacking it and if any of our players had actually put one of their headers on target it could have been a comfortable win for us in a game that was (understandably given its nature as a testimonial) played at not much more than walking pace.

Bruno looks a good player, Vicente lively as always, but I thought Noone was a bit of a waste of space, Bridcutt looked better with Crofts on the pitch (who played some good passes first half). Calderon was very poor, and if McCleary knew how to cross then you'd have been in trouble. Luckily for you Cummings only crossed himself twice and one was begging for a touch, the other was straight onto HRK's head for the goal.

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
Another Vicente? Such a thing does not exist OBVIOUSLY! Bit disingenuous towards the Reading fans as well - 700 for a midweek evening in pre season against a side in the division below them I thought was reasonable, though they were rather quiet (as were we though).

I though Crofts looked good for most of the game but looked knackered towards the end. Calde was the weak link but of course Bridge will be there when he's fit so I'm not worried about defence. I don't think midfield lacks anything - we've got loads of pace and impact in Buckley and Kaz who didn't feature on Tues. Up front is the only area where I think we're still lacking if we're serious about a promotion push.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Another Vicente? Such a thing does not exist OBVIOUSLY! Bit disingenuous towards the Reading fans as well - 700 for a midweek evening in pre season against a side in the division below them I thought was reasonable, though they were rather quiet (as were we though).

Where did you get 700 from? I thought there were less than 200!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here