Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leon best [signs on a half-year loan]

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Friend has played power league with him in nottingham.

Anyway, our championship strikers records in the league

Baldock - 13 games, 1 goal
CMS - 16 games, 1 goal
COG - 11 games, 0 goals

40 games, 2 goals

Best would be a welcomed addition for me, and is better than CMS 100%.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
These are the 2 key things in this:

1. O'Grady was a laughing stock here for the majority of this season and his upturn in form is still not exactly world-beating. His also benefits in comparisino to our other "strikers"
2. So Hughton has said we need a striker of his ilk, he knows Best and knows he's exactly that. Where's the problem? I fail to see the benefit of writing Best off until at least 10 minutes into his debut. If he hasn't scored 3 by then, bin him off...

Laughing stock? Well amongst those who wrote him off before he even kicked a ball. Pity we didn't sign some unknown from a Spanish 2nd div club who I assume would have acquired cult status immediately.

We sell Ulloa and bring in O'Grady and unless he had done what you suggest Best might need to, he never stood a chance with all those that suddenly think we should be buying or producing multi £M players

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
Friend has played power league with him in nottingham.

Anyway, our championship strikers records in the league

Baldock - 13 games, 1 goal
CMS - 16 games, 1 goal
COG - 11 games, 0 goals

40 games, 2 goals

Best would be a welcomed addition for me, and is better than CMS 100%.

There's nothing good about those stats, nothing at all, shocking return from our front line this season.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
There's nothing good about those stats, nothing at all, shocking return from our front line this season.

100% agree.
But just a question...........has Baldock actually been played "up front" this season? It feels like someone made a mistake and told our manager(s) that he had signed as a winger :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

He might be deliberating as we speak about whether to put another 10p on to a pint of beer and all manner of other dastardly acts but he certainly doesn't get involved in recruiting players. Although its his job to negotiate the fee when they are sold. Something he's unfortunately had to be rather good at. There's no replacement for Burke as Burke's job had a wider brief than just finding players but Paul Winstanley has now stepped up to be in charge of "player identification", working with Hughton...and a team of scouts. He was previously Head of Recruitment at Derby.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
Not sure who people are expecting to sign for us at this time of the year when they are sitting on large salary contracts.
It maybe that Hughton cannot get his 1st choice so is going back to someone he knows rather than someone who he does not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Best is probably not a bad signing, and better than what we have.

Maybe we are getting 2 new strikers ???

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
He might be deliberating as we speak about whether to put another 10p on to a pint of beer and all manner of other dastardly acts but he certainly doesn't get involved in recruiting players. Although its his job to negotiate the fee when they are sold. Something he's unfortunately had to be rather good at. There's no replacement for Burke as Burke's job had a wider brief than just finding players but Paul Winstanley has now stepped up to be in charge of "player identification", working with Hughton...and a team of scouts. He was previously Head of Recruitment at Derby.

Thanks for that update

Jan 9, 2015
Best

Zero goals in 20 appearances in all competitions this season- Albion have plenty of strikers like that. why do we need another?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010

Sorry it was somewhat tongue in cheek. Just anticipate Barber will get the blame now if the players we sign don't perform.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Laughing stock? Well amongst those who wrote him off before he even kicked a ball. Pity we didn't sign some unknown from a Spanish 2nd div club who I assume would have acquired cult status immediately.

I'm not saying it was fair, or even something with which I agree, but the guy was ridiculed on here from pretty much day one and it didn't improve even after people saw him play.

All I'm suggesting is it's perhaps not best to compare the two, or to write off Best before we've seen what he can contribute.

mothy

Dec 30, 2012
Leon scored one pf the best own goals ever for saints v derby in champ play offs. From a corner he kicked it over is shoulder from 12 yds into the top corner

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I'm not saying it was fair, or even something with which I agree, but the guy was ridiculed on here from pretty much day one and it didn't improve even after people saw him play.

All I'm suggesting is it's perhaps not best to compare the two, or to write off Best before we've seen what he can contribute.

Well I agree he has been ridiculed but I think the basis of the ridicule is unfounded, even absurd.

Not writing Best off at all, I just don't get the transfer or why Best should be a better option than O'Grady ... certainly not recent form.

If Best does "replace" O'Grady then I hope both of them are hugely successful

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Best is probably not a bad signing, and better than what we have.

Maybe we are getting 2 new strikers ???
Better get in one - one good one is better than two not so good ones, especially as we've got a bunch of the latter already on the payroll.

1 goal in 4 doesn't inspire, but it's better than our current mob are doing, and if CH knows the bloke and thinks he can get the best out of him (no pun intended) then OK, let's see what happens.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
In 2010 Burke was employed to do a similar job for Southampton, after leaving Man City and before that Fulham. He must have been just as bad at Southampton, as they are now only 3rd in the EPL. The rest of the Southampton team of two years ago was sold to Liverpool and they are only 8th. He couldn't have had anything to do with that, could he?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here