Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leicester after £6.5m Leo Ulloa

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
You are wrong. It makes perfect sense, and is how football works. You either trust your management team to make the right calls, or you have the wrong people. Sometimes (not always) it IS the right decision to cash in on a player and reinvest.

Take Burnley for example. Over the last two years, to outsiders, did it look good business, to cash in on Jay Rodriguez and Charlie Austin, pocket a load of cash, and replace them with Danny Ings and Sam Vokes?

Exactly. Just imagine what a man with David Burke's transfer-window track record could do with £6.5 million. Oh, wait ...

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
He's a very capable striker, who's physicality could get us (and keep us) in the top flight. I don't think we should be in a rush to sell. That being said, if we fail again to achieve promotion then we have to accept that our better players will move on.

What ever the right thing to do is, I trust Tony to make the right decision, I'm glad it's not me taking it.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Exactly. He's clearly Premier league class and Leicester are sensibly planning for next season with what would be a cheap option if he was honestly the difference between staying up and relegation next season. He's probably the hottest property outside the top division with the possible exception of Danny Ings and Keiran Trippier.

I reckon he's probably behind Rhodes, McGoldrick & Le Fondre as well (in terms of how hot his property is) but agree entirely with you that people with his skill set are very rare and I wouldn't be happy at all to see him go for 6m.

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Let's be honest,

If he was a Palace player, they'd get £15 million for him.

I'd like us to value our players a little higher, lord knows we've waiting long enough for a crop as good as this lot are!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You are wrong. It makes perfect sense, and is how football works. You either trust your management team to make the right calls, or you have the wrong people. Sometimes (not always) it IS the right decision to cash in on a player and reinvest.

Take Burnley for example. Over the last two years, to outsiders, did it look good business, to cash in on Jay Rodriguez and Charlie Austin, pocket a load of cash, and replace them with Danny Ings and Sam Vokes?
Burnley cleared approx £10m PROFIT, on those 2 deals.

That's a little different to £3m profit with the most expensive player to still be replaced.
(not including contact foibles)

JimmyJayUK

Feb 20, 2014
Agree, if we sold the money would go towards meeting ffp... Wouldn't surprise me. We need to keep him!!

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Why do people want the money just so long as £xm can be invested in a replacement.

It doesn't make sense.

Why replace the player who fits into the system, with someone who may not, just for the sake of having a couple of million left over.
How much will that couple of million be worth in a misfiring team, next year?

Does he fit in with our system though? He's scored a lot of goals but his general play has been pretty poor this season, is that fitness or not fitting in with our system. He's more a poacher in the area, the way Oscar seems to want us to play we need a more mobile striker

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Does he fit in with our system though? He's scored a lot of goals but his general play has been pretty poor this season, is that fitness or not fitting in with our system. He's more a poacher in the area, the way Oscar seems to want us to play we need a more mobile striker

Hoskins, CMS. (Barnes :facepalm: ) Can fill that role.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We need a mobile striker along side Leo.
The attacking unit need to play around the lynch pin, Leo is integral to Oscar's scheme.

When players like KLL, Buckley, Lingard, CMS and to a lesser extent the lightly used March, have been available they have played WITH Leo not instead of him.

He had a bad injury and struggled when he returned.
He's been Murrayesque in defence, and scored some great goals.

What more is the fella supposed to do?

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
We need a mobile striker along side Leo.
The attacking unit need to play around the lynch pin, Leo is integral to Oscar's scheme.

When players like KLL, Buckley, Lingard, CMS and to a lesser extent the lightly used March, have been available they have played WITH Leo not instead of him.

He had a bad injury and struggled when he returned.
He's been Murrayesque in defence, and scored some great goals.

What more is the fella supposed to do?

Exactly.

"Despite scoring loads of goals Ulloa hasn't been that good". Que? I've been gobsmacked to hear people around me in WSU moaning about his performance, or effort or (unbelievably) his ability to know where the onion bag is. I'm not claiming he's Jimmy Greaves - but he is significantly better than some one here make out.

Case in point:

The goal at Forest. The more you see it, the more you look at Collins and wonder what the hell he was thinking. But for 90 minutes before that he'd been pulled every which way by Leo's movement - and the mistake was partly due to confusion created by Leo.

I'm rambling, but you get my drift.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
Promotion to the EPL is worth what, £100m? Take away his goals and where would we be - not in the play offs, I can tell you that much. And people think we should sell him for £6.5m? That is completely and utterly mental

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Both teams going up are the two teams who have 2 great strikers so yeah let's sell our only one rather than buy one more :facepalm: We can use the money to gamble on 2 over paid past it journymen can't we!

Even more gutting when couple of those strikers looked promising for us on loan and then we didn't give them a run in side only for them to mature and settle elsewhere outside the Prem.

I doubt we'll go up this year but really need to find those last 1 or 2 pieces to make the difference not ditch our best players. Each recent year we've clearly improved and next year if do same we can go over the top (if don't fluke it this season).

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Both teams going up are the two teams who have 2 great strikers so yeah let's sell our only one rather than buy one more :facepalm: We can use the money to gamble on 2 over paid past it journymen can't we!

Even more gutting when couple of those strikers looked promising for us on loan and then we didn't give them a run in side only for them to mature and settle elsewhere outside the Prem.

I doubt we'll go up this year but really need to find those last 1 or 2 pieces to make the difference not ditch our best players. Each recent year we've clearly improved and next year if do same we can go over the top (if don't fluke it this season).

DO they have great strikers or do they have more than one good striker? If we sold Ulloa and bought two good strikers would we not be in a better position?

I'm not sure how you can argue we've clearly improved last year to this?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Exactly. He's clearly Premier league class and Leicester are sensibly planning for next season with what would be a cheap option if he was honestly the difference between staying up and relegation next season. He's probably the hottest property outside the top division with the possible exception of Danny Ings and Keiran Trippier.

Really - I dont think he is. Since his injury he has been a shadow of his former self. I would definitey take 6.5 million for him assuming all the cash would be reinvested in the team.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
The profit from that deal would be about 4M. So could we get a player as good as, or better than Leo, for that much? I don't think so... (our next highest currently active goal scorer in our squad is our left back...).

There are certain players you have to defend from predators if you are serious about promotion and Ulloa I think is the only one of those we have. So no, even if we got his market valuation, we shouldn't sell

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here