Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Left Handers

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Are Lefties A Bit Sinister?By Leila Sattary

Statistics show left-handed people are more likely to be schizophrenic, alcoholic and dyslexic as well as having an increased risk of other mental disabilities. Not only that, they are also more likely to die young and get into accidents. So if evolution dictates survival of the fittest, why are lefties not as dead as the dodo?

Handiness is primarily developed before birth; scientists have observed unborn babies showing a left-handed preference on ultrasound scans and then growing up to be left-handers. Recent research at Oxford University has discovered the ‘left-handed gene’ LRRTM1However, they have also linked the lefty-gene to a predisposition to develop psychotic mental illness such as schizophrenia.
Dr Fred Kavalier from London’s Guy’s Hospital said ‘I don’t think left-handed people should be alarmed, there are many other factors that contribute to schizophrenia. This may be a tiny little element in the big jigsaw.’

Another theory suggests that, instead of being genetic, left-handiness could be caused by excess testosterone during pregnancy which may cause dominance of the right-hemisphere of the brain. Slower development of the left-hemisphere, which controls the verbal and analytical functions, could cause learning disabilities or autism.
In any case, the consensus is that lefties have more against them in life. They have society to blame as well as their genes. Everything from kitchen utensils to our right-to-left writing system is against them. Left-handers have been disadvantaged throughout history. Everything from Christian-Greek scriptures deeming them as evil to Japanese men, until only recently, being able to divorce their wives purely because they are left-handed

Last edited:

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The ideal match is a man and a woman who are opposite handers. Think about it, and those you have known. :p

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The lord made a few people perfect (like me), the rest he made right-handed.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
see my post of the learned doctors dissitation regarding all lefties being buckfast wine drinking,booze addled,alchoholics.

And yet despite all that we still earn more money than you poor dopey right handed chavs.

Left-handed boys underperform at school but enjoy greater financial success in later life than right-handers, studies suggest. They appear to adapt well to life in a right-handed world and end up earning around 5 per cent more per hour.

In 2006, several economists published a paper entitled 'Handedness and Earnings'1. Their research suggests that among college-educated men, left-handers earn an average of 15% more than right-handers.

Humans haven't stopped evolving, left handers are the next step up in the evolutionary chain.

Left handed stroke victims recover faster than right handed stroke victims.

That's evolution at work right there.

GO the leftys :clap2:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm right-handed myself but am interested in this question because of the way my son behaves. He's four years old but doesn't appear to be left-handed or right-handed: he just seems to use whatever hand is closer - I'd like to know at what age is right or left handedness determined. I'd have thought that at four, we'd know what my son was - but clearly not.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I'm right-handed myself but am interested in this question because of the way my son behaves. He's four years old but doesn't appear to be left-handed or right-handed: he just seems to use whatever hand is closer - I'd like to know at what age is right or left handedness determined. I'd have thought that at four, we'd know what my son was - but clearly not.

Maybe he's ambidextrous?

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia

Sounds like he might be ambidextrous at present.

It normally becomes apparent when a child starts to draw or paint things as to what hand will be their dominant one.

It also has alot to do with the early years of training the child gets through family influence.

I know a few left handers who play things like golf and cricket batting right handed because either the equipment wasnt there for a left hander or the person teaching them was right handed.

Most likely if both you and your partner are right handed the child will end up more right side dominant than left sided despite their early non dominant side appearance.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Sounds like he might be ambidextrous at present.

It normally becomes apparent when a child starts to draw or paint things as to what hand will be their dominant one.

It also has alot to do with the early years of training the child gets through family influence.

I know a few left handers who play things like golf and cricket batting right handed because either the equipment wasnt there for a left hander or the person teaching them was right handed.

Most likely if both you and your partner are right handed the child will end up more right side dominant than left sided despite their early non dominant side appearance.

We've been really careful never to influence whether he's right-handed or left-handed though. We've never corrected which hand he's using and have, for example, let him bat left-handed or right-handed when we're playing cricket.

When it comes to painting/drawing/writing he virtually always uses his right hand. When it comes to eating/cleaning teeth/throwing/picking things up he virtually always uses his left. Because he invariably used scissors left handed, we bought him some left-handed scissors - he then promptly started using his right - it's all very confusing for us.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
YAY Left handers RULE!!! GOD was left handed! FACT

:p

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I write left handed but do everything else right handed. (I can also write right handed, but not as well as with my left hand)

Actually, now I feel a bit of a fraud posting on this thread. :(

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here