Leeds vs Brighton - the Thread

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Sneaky George said:
But on the positive side, we're beginning to look like a proper football team. We now have a shape which works and yesterday showed you can play 4 attacking players away from home even against a team who are probably going to be in the play offs. I've always belived that attack is the best form of defence in football and for the first time in years, we look like a side that can score goals.

Well put. Didn't go yesterday, but the Plymouth game was actually a pleasure to watch from a purely footballing point of view. And the numbers leaving before the final whistle was well down on what it usually is at Withdean. Seemed to be the general consensus of opinion yesterday also. It IS years since we've played attractive attack-minded football. Hopefully we've now seen the last of the thoroughly discredited 4-5-1 formation.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Probably the best game of football we have been involved in since the home leg of the Playoff semi finals. If we play like that against lesser teams we will be ok this year.

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Leeds United said:
Nah, without Gregan, Brighton would never be so high in the table.
i wouldnt waste time blaming gregan....take a look at your left back.HE'S DOG SHIT!!!!!!!!:lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
A brilliant performance yesterday despite the "goal highlights" shown on ITV this morning which didnt do us any justice. Some of the reports in the Sunday nationals also tend to fill their column inches about Healy and how good Leeds were, probably so that Mr Bates will let them into the press box next time.
Well done to all the players - they are now gelling into a team that brings me to reminisce about the sides we used to field in the seventies, when we got the third goal the fervent celebrations was just like being at the back of the North Stand.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
From the consensus of reports, it seems that both sets of supporters thought it was a good game, good atmosphere with a good ref as well.

This is a welcome change.

Last edited:

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
no consensus on the ref pers, I thought he was crap!

upnorthnow

Feb 4, 2004
SK13
It was a truly great day out, however I am still a little down here thinking what the hell do we have to do to get a win?

Sure i would have been happy for a draw before kick off but another few minutes and we would have had 3 points, (stating the obvious i know) but we need to draw 3 matches to get that many points. It is those odd wins that will make the difference this season.

I hope the guys draw on the experience to boost their confidence, they certainly earnt that right. Well done:clap:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
garry nelsons left foot said:
First of the day...

Eddie Gray: The players will be disappointed. They should be beating teams like Brighton.

:) :clap2: :salute:

And to think I went to his testimonial match.
I want my money back (about £3.50 if I remember rightly)

Tom Hark said:
Hopefully we've now seen the last of the thoroughly discredited 4-5-1 formation.

I know - just those footballing no-hopers Chelsea, Man U and a host of other Prem sides playing it now :lolol:

KinkyGoebels said:
As I said on the other thread this team has the look of a you score 3 were score 4 - its always going to be hard to defend set plays with that team - it showed yesterday.

LI do you think Mcghee should have made a change earlier? it looked like Leeds were getting back into it and that was the time for the change

I don't actually - we were under pressure but so were we in the first half. It's always a tricky gamble when you are 2-0 up changing things unneccesarily. We kept the 11 together for most of the Preston game and that McGhee decision paid off.

It was a shame the second Leeds goal came so shortly after Jarrett was subbed, but with due respect to our left-winger, I don't know if he's that vital in terms of defending set pieces.

McGhee bringing on CKR was eventually justified as he helped give us back more possession in the Leeds half, from which we got the third goal.

The last goal was just dumb luck - a Leeds player mis-kicking to Healy and then Henderson's save falling straight to Douglas.

Sneaky George said:
I've always belived that attack is the best form of defence in football

Maybe, but that wasn't borne out yesterday - we will defend better than that :D

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
From the radio reports, and applying past expereince, it seemed that the crucial points were when Lewis was taken off for Leeds and Jarrett was replaced by CK Richards. I thought then (I was late for the match and missed the first 13 minutes; bit of luck that!) that we would get at least a draw and then maybe a win. Then when we made the last minute substitution, I thought they might get a draw.

:drink:

No one can doubt that Blackwell used his subs well and they came on and really raised the entire Leeds game. That Douglas was a particular pain in the arse. Blackwell had a bench full of dangerous players who could do that, reminded me of Coventry a few months ago when Adams could bring on Adebola and Benjamin who were way more of a handful than the first-choice strikers picked. Sometimes the depth of other team's squads are going to cause us problems.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
London Irish said:
No one can doubt that Blackwell used his subs well and they came on and really raised the entire Leeds game. That Douglas was a particular pain in the arse. Blackwell had a bench full of dangerous players who could do that, reminded me of Coventry a few months ago when Adams could bring on Adebola and Benjamin who were way more of a handful than the first-choice strikers picked. Sometimes the depth of other team's squads are going to cause us problems.

Ie: Crewe

perseus

Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
London Irish said:

Was Blake any good ? Better than Lewis?

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
eastlondonseagull said:
Nice report in the Observer today, praising our committment, effort and style of football :clap2:

I read that; after hearing the same old "struggling Brighton" lines, The Observer's piece was an unbiased report on 2 teams playing football in a 4 star match :clap2:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Why's this thread still here? :lolol:

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
Id agree with the strength in depth thing but felt we gave away goals because the defence/goalkeeper had problems dealing with the crosses Ledds were whipping into the back stick

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports