[Albion] Leeds not selling out (yet?)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
...or find a friendly WSUer who can't go.

Such as [MENTION=236]Papa Lazarou[/MENTION] with his nice, central, second row seat!

Interesting...thanks!

I have Albion + membership, if he wants to sell it to me. I'll PM him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup. In a few years the average PL attendance will likely be pushing 45000. In ten years maybe even 50000.

I totally get all the arguments about the local transport infrastructure, the structural challenges regard expanding the stadium and whether we have the support to justify it, and they have all been debated to death, but the reality is we could find ourselves with one of the smallest PL stadiums in the next 10 years.

I think the club won those arguments, getting their foot in the Falmer door with 22,000, now 31,850.

It's now a case of the stadium would have to be partly dismantled, two 350 tonne roof trusses are effectively fixed to huge concrete foundations at either end of the east and west stands.

I do know what you mean. Financially, this isn't too big an issue, as matchday income for most EPL clubs isn't a big income sauce.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I know of three ST seats going begging tomorrow. The cost of sharing them has put the people off yet the club has already had the seat cost. It doesn't encourage getting "new" people to a game.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I know of three ST seats going begging tomorrow. The cost of sharing them has put the people off yet the club has already had the seat cost. It doesn't encourage getting "new" people to a game.

It will. I’ve paid my Members+ so friends can now transfer to me. Obviously they need to pay £20 too for the privilege. Fortunately I’ve good friends! But yes, it’s added £60ish to an already expensive day out (fuel, ticket) so won’t be spending anything on extras like used to and to be honest it’s burnt a bridge in my 40year old relationship with the Albion. Feels greedy but those Multi Millionaires kicking balls about have expensive tastes….!

Have to be selective. Oh, and enjoying NL scene. Other clubs are available you know, and I’m lucky to support a Tier 5 on my doorstep. It’s actually really good, the entire matchday experience is stress free. Saying that I’m very much looking forward to Leeds tomorrow, seeing old friends. Football always been a bit secondary to that. But then I’m a “legacy” fan and PL is only really interested in more Bangkok “diehards” :)

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
I think the club won those arguments, getting their foot in the Falmer door with 22,000, now 31,850.

It's now a case of the stadium would have to be partly dismantled, two 350 tonne roof trusses are effectively fixed to huge concrete foundations at either end of the east and west stands.

I do know what you mean. Financially, this isn't too big an issue, as matchday income for most EPL clubs isn't a big income sauce.

Matchday income aside, I do think attendances matter from a prestige perspective. It's an indicator of your standing to sponsors, commercial partners, advertisers and most importantly, players.

Hopefully we'll still be in the PL in ten years. But if by then 30,000 crowds put you at or near the bottom of the list, staying there will be harder.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Matchday income aside, I do think attendances matter from a prestige perspective. It's an indicator of your standing to sponsors, commercial partners, advertisers and most importantly, players.

Hopefully we'll still be in the PL in ten years. But if by then 30,000 crowds put you at or near the bottom of the list, staying there will be harder.

I'm greedy, I'd love to see a 40,000 stadium with a large north stand. Sussex in total has a population of 1.7m.

Carrow Road has a capacity of 26,000, which they fill most seasons, in a county of just 859k.

But it would be TB's money and construction costs have doubled, plus Falmer Station would need to be transformed.

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021
My son is over from Spain.

I've got a Season Ticket in W3H, there are none showing for sale in that block, probably because they are the cheapest seats in the house and the club want to sell the seats designated as non STH areas, or more expensive ones. Normally we'd try to get him one in the same block and he'd try to move around to get as close to my seat as possible. Nothing on sale in my block so he won't be going.

There will definitely be some empty seats near you. He can buy a seat anywhere on that deck and then call/text him when it's clear the seat is going to be unoccupied...

pure_white

Dec 8, 2021
Weeds united are boring no wonder your average fan aint interested. That said Amex will be 95% full

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'm greedy, I'd love to see a 40,000 stadium with a large north stand. Sussex in total has a population of 1.7m.

Carrow Road has a capacity of 26,000, which they fill most seasons, in a county of just 859k.

But it would be TB's money and construction costs have doubled, plus Falmer Station would need to be transformed.

I’d like us to have 50000 so we could all just turn up and sit with friends without need for logistics degrees and Operation Overlord levels of planning pre match which STH culture creates.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Why? crowds you don’t need. Rich owners you do. If you pay enough, players will kiss the badge of Southwick never mind Southampton! Money. It’s all you need. And it comes through television and personal Oil/Gas reserves mainly.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Of course. If I didn't have a season ticket I really don't think I'd be spending c£70 for tickets for me and my lad for tomorrow. I'd certainly be thinking "that money could be put to better use elsewhere/" But that wasn't my point, really...

It wss the comparison with Newcastle, which did sell out which was also "holiday season", with the shadow of bad economic news hanging over us all.

I guess I'm surprised that Newcastle did sell out, but given it did, I'm now slightly surprised that the very next game hasn't.

But, as many others have pointed out, it is a bank holiday weekend and many folk will have other plans.

Bozza, it's costing me £70 + in petrol to drive up tomorrow.................going to be more selective about games I take in this season.

Uter

Aug 5, 2008
The land of chocolate
Why? crowds you don’t need. Rich owners you do. If you pay enough, players will kiss the badge of Southwick never mind Southampton! Money. It’s all you need. And it comes through television and personal Oil/Gas reserves mainly.

You may think that crowds don't matter, but I find that assertation hard to square with the fact that Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa all have plans at various stages to significantly extend their capacities. Not mention rumoured plans at Man Utd and Newcastle. Redeveloping Stamford Bridge was also a requirement of the Boehly takeover bid. It seems to matter to all these clubs.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
There will definitely be some empty seats near you. He can buy a seat anywhere on that deck and then call/text him when it's clear the seat is going to be unoccupied...

Cheers, no seats for sale at all in West Upper at the moment. Would only want to buy the lowest price anyway as that's where he'd be sitting.
He's made other plans now anyway.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You may think that crowds don't matter, but I find that assertation hard to square with the fact that Man City, Liverpool, Everton, Leicester, Crystal Palace, Fulham, Leeds, Nottingham Forest and Aston Villa all have plans at various stages to significantly extend their capacities. Not mention rumoured plans at Man Utd and Newcastle. Redeveloping Stamford Bridge was also a requirement of the Boehly takeover bid. It seems to matter to all these clubs.

Fans attending are a huge overhead. Because you need a stadium to house them. CGI them into a green screen surrounded pitch is far cheaper and provides far more money and profitability, with exciting opportunities for fans to purchase a pixel showing them in attendance, enabling fans from all over the world to attend without the carbon tax. That is fairer too. Why should people who live in close proximity be the only ones that can attend? This is the future. Not some outdated concept with real people walking up with their real service costs. Virtual attendance and STHs is the next step to making greater profits. How else will clubs be able to afford average £1m per match per player in the next 10-15 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports