Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Leeds Match *No trains to Newhaven/Seaford*

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure if its been mentioned but could PB have refused sky as being unsafe then sued the RMT/Southern for the loss of earnings i.e £100k. What would be the chance of success?

Just to be absolutely clear, the chaos on the evening of the Villa game was nothing to do with RMT. It was not a strike day.

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Eh? Are you serious? Our entire economy depends on what's going on in the City and it's impact on our GDP.

Eh? Yes I am serious. But it's a different discussion. Which is sort of my point (plus I was just angling for a reaction obviously).

What he gets paid is not really relevant to the problem of Southern Rail.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Eh? Yes I am serious. But it's a different discussion. Which is sort of my point (plus I was just angling for a reaction obviously).

What he gets paid is not really relevant to the problem of Southern Rail.

Of course it isn't, but to suggest that city workers aren't doing anything real or useful is ridiculous

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Just to be absolutely clear, the chaos on the evening of the Villa game was nothing to do with RMT. It was not a strike day.

Nothing to do with RMT?

"The company said Friday's train shortage happened after a short-notice sickness and "a reluctance to work rest days and overtime" by crews, along with some trains and crew being out of place after earlier incidents.
It said replacement buses were used to help alleviate crowding at Falmer station and Southern tickets were accepted on local bus routes.
The company has been hit by months of strikes in a dispute over the roles of guards on trains, and had to bring in a reduced timetable earlier this year blaming problems with high levels of sickness and crew shortages."

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
OK, so I agree with you he gets paid too much. I think he should get paid less than £128,000. Although I also think he should be paid more than most city workers given that he does something real and useful in society.

But i fail to see what on earth that has to do with who is at fault for the Southern Rail farce and what can be done about it? Of all the ideas I have heard for solving this 'paying Mick Cash less' is one of the less convincing. Bishops are probably a better option

I agree it's not really relevant to the chaos. But for everyone's information, Pete Wilkinson the civil servant who was recruited from GTR to head up DfT's Franchising Policy Team, and has been quoted as saying his job was to "smash the unions", is paid more than £260,000 pa. He is the 15th highest paid public servant in the country.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Nothing to do with RMT?

"The company said Friday's train shortage happened after a short-notice sickness and "a reluctance to work rest days and overtime" by crews, along with some trains and crew being out of place after earlier incidents.
It said replacement buses were used to help alleviate crowding at Falmer station and Southern tickets were accepted on local bus routes.
The company has been hit by months of strikes in a dispute over the roles of guards on trains, and had to bring in a reduced timetable earlier this year blaming problems with high levels of sickness and crew shortages."

So are you saying that the sickness is union vo-ordinated rather than a reaction from staff who feel they're being treated badly? You do know that all guard sickness is doctor certified?

The only overtime ban that is union staged is the Aslef one. Working overtime and rest days are voluntary and if southern treat staff badly they won't do the extra

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
So are you saying that the sickness is union vo-ordinated rather than a reaction from staff who feel they're being treated badly? You do know that all guard sickness is doctor certified?

The only overtime ban that is union staged is the Aslef one. Working overtime and rest days are voluntary and if southern treat staff badly they won't do the extra

The "staff sickness" issue has to be linked with the industrial action currently being taken by RMT.

From Southern website 25th May 2016

Southern has released new figures showing the level of conductor sickness absence currently causing significant disruption to the rail service.

The key figures released by the company are:

*In the last 32 working days the company has been hit by 1066 days of conductor absence.

*The rate of absence that has more than doubled since the first conductors strike on 26 April.

*In the two weeks prior to the first strike, conductor sickness absence ran at an average of 23 conductors off sick each day. Since the strike, that number has nearly doubled to 40 conductors off sick each day. In the last ten days, that figure has increased still further to 45 conductors off sick each day.

*In the last month, 74 conductors have had at least one day of sickness absence. This amounts to one-in-six conductors having had a day’s sickness in that period.

*On a daily basis, an average of 83 Southern services are being cancelled due to the current ongoing sickness problems.

A spokesman for the company said:

“We would not usually release such information, but passengers deserve to know the reasons behind the unusually high level of train cancellations they are presently experiencing.

“For those conductors who are ill the company is offering all the support we are able to and working out how they can get back to work. But these figures show a remarkable and unprecedented level of sickness absence which commenced at the time of the first strike. We are presently looking into what steps can be taken to investigate this deterioration in the health of conductors across our network.”

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Nothing to do with RMT?

As I said, nothing to do with RMT. Don't fall for Southern's propaganda.

ROSM has actually been waiting for a train with the guard standing alongside him, when the announcement came that the train was cancelled due to the guard being sick!!

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
The "staff sickness" issue has to be linked with the industrial action currently being taken by RMT.

From Southern website 25th May 2016

Southern has released new figures showing the level of conductor sickness absence currently causing significant disruption to the rail service.

The key figures released by the company are:

*In the last 32 working days the company has been hit by 1066 days of conductor absence.

*The rate of absence that has more than doubled since the first conductors strike on 26 April.

*In the two weeks prior to the first strike, conductor sickness absence ran at an average of 23 conductors off sick each day. Since the strike, that number has nearly doubled to 40 conductors off sick each day. In the last ten days, that figure has increased still further to 45 conductors off sick each day.

*In the last month, 74 conductors have had at least one day of sickness absence. This amounts to one-in-six conductors having had a day’s sickness in that period.

*On a daily basis, an average of 83 Southern services are being cancelled due to the current ongoing sickness problems.

A spokesman for the company said:

“We would not usually release such information, but passengers deserve to know the reasons behind the unusually high level of train cancellations they are presently experiencing.

“For those conductors who are ill the company is offering all the support we are able to and working out how they can get back to work. But these figures show a remarkable and unprecedented level of sickness absence which commenced at the time of the first strike. We are presently looking into what steps can be taken to investigate this deterioration in the health of conductors across our network.”

Just to be clear, the southern website doesn't mention the withdrawal of travel passes, and that it was they who refused to allow any members to have been on strike to work rest days. It was also they who brought in the need for staff to be signed off by a doctor. Now you might think that's reasonable in an industrial dispute period and you may well be right but it means the minimum sick period is now a week not a day

Please don't quote their website. It is about as balanced as quoting Aslef or the rmt in isolation.

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
As I said, nothing to do with RMT. Don't fall for Southern's propaganda.

ROSM has actually been waiting for a train with the guard standing alongside him, when the announcement came that the train was cancelled due to the guard being sick!!

Wow, really... that is quite incredible..!

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Could they not just turn the 3rd rails off so we can walk down the tracks, that would certainly make things easier?

When my dad worked at Newhaven port in the 70s/80s one of his night shift colleagues would ask a fiver per work colleague spectator to do handstands on the live rail. Feet leave the ground before hands make contact with the rail and vice versa for the dismount, job done.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
A repeat of anything like the absence of service experienced before and after the Villa game, irrespective of whose bloody fault it is, is likely to result in scenes that could be horrendous. Leeds fans are likley to be far less accommodating and understading and the potential for some serious trouble is, in my view, significant.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
a repeat of anything like the absence of service experienced before and after the villa game, irrespective of whose bloody fault it is, is likely to result in scenes that could be horrendous. Leeds fans are likley to be far less accommodating and understading and the potential for some serious trouble is, in my view, significant.

yes! Been thinking exactly this

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
A repeat of anything like the absence of service experienced before and after the Villa game, irrespective of whose bloody fault it is, is likely to result in scenes that could be horrendous. Leeds fans are likley to be far less accommodating and understading and the potential for some serious trouble is, in my view, significant.

yes! Been thinking exactly this

Which was behind my decision not to even attempt using the train tonight and go via Seagulls Travel .

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
In an attempt to help give information, these are the scheduled train departures from Lewes to Falmer tonight, with today's revised timetable:

No guarantee which will run of course, so if your only comment is to express scepticism on this, then save your breath.

PG

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
In an attempt to help give information, these are the scheduled train departures from Lewes to Falmer tonight, with today's revised timetable:

No guarantee which will run of course, so if your only comment is to express scepticism on this, then save your breath.

PG

Seems a very limited service after the match both ways at the moment which is worse

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

PG

And afterwards :

Seems fewer than usual, even one of those being cancelled will be dire (as at least one will probably be a 3 coach job like usual)

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Does anyone know if the club are running shuttle busses between Falmer and Lewes before and after game. Not mentioned on the club site.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here