Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving before the full time whistle

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
If I was the opposition captain and my team were hanging on at the end, I’d be saying to my team mates ‘Look around you boys, the fans have given up. They’re all leaving, they don’t think they can do it. Only five more minutes to go, we’ve got this”. I’d be saying the same to the home team- “You’ve f***ed it lads, your fans are deserting you, we’ve done you”.

Elite sport is about incredibly fine margins, and stuff like that genuinely can make a difference. People are free to leave when they want and make their own decisions, but this ‘it’s the same everywhere’ thing just isn’t true, it isn’t. And a raucous home support that always stayed the distance WOULD make the difference occasionally. But the two reasons it doesn’t happen are poor transport and the demographic of our support with the ‘I pay my money to be entertained and I’ll leave when I want’ attitude.
You do understand what hypothetical means, don't you?
Whatever you think you might be doing in this situation, and the impact you think it would have, is irrelevant.

Firstly show me where this raucous home support is supposed to come from.
Now point me to the stats where a team with such a raucous home support, consistently score many more last minute winners/equalisers than we do. Then we can have a grown up discussion about what needs to change.

Most of this debate is about people not liking the way our support is perceived by others.
Not about the team's performance levels.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Literally just proved the point I was making. I didn’t make any assumptions about you as an individual, or the many exceptions there will be for others. The op even said himself that it’s a transport issue, and didn’t lay any blame at anyone’s doorstep.

You just added another irrational response in a long list of irrational responses. If you think it’s ok that a third of the stadium empties with 10 mins to go and all to play for, then you’re either a bit dim or in total denial.

It’s an issue, and if enough people stop taking it personally, start recognising it, whether they have perfectly acceptable reasons to leave early themselves or not, and putting pressure on improving transport links then we might just see improvement.
Quote I didn’t make any assumptions about you as an individual

then goes on to make assumptions about me as an individual ie. a bit dim or in denial.

Exaggeration doesn’t help your argument either, as it‘s nowhere near a third of the stadium.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Once again it appears the whole crux of this is Brighton And Hove Albion fans are the only ones in the entire league that leave before the end.

(And if you think I’m merely defending them because I’m one of them you couldn’t be further from the truth, I’m defending them because what they do is none of my fuckin business)

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
A third of the stadium does not leave with 10 minutes to go.
Possibly a third of the family stand does.
About 3 people leave from around where I am in the North Stand.

The idea that this has any impact on the players is utter bullshit.
The remaining fans are generally making more noise at this point, than a full stadium did for the previous 80 minutes.
There were 9 mins of injury time. Go and check the footage at 90mins. Maybe a third was an exaggeration, but I would think that between 5-8k were out the door at that stage.

I also accept that it’s not possible to distinguish between those who never turned up to begin with, which was a lot.

Regardless, I fundamentally disagree with your point about it not making a difference. Even when you discount the potential noise difference which you are disputing, it just doesn’t look great for the players who despite popular belief, are not robots, and psychologically it’s not going to give them that bit extra to push on.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
The lads behind me (one a STH since it opened but with a guest rather than the usual person he goes with) seemingly couldn’t wait to get to a pub to watch the Manchester derby 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Quote I didn’t make any assumptions about you as an individual

then goes on to make assumptions about me as an individual ie. a bit dim or in denial.

Exaggeration doesn’t help your argument either, as it‘s nowhere near a third of the stadium.
I didn’t make any assumptions about you in the first post you quoted, I never claimed I didn’t in the second post you quoted. Which I stand by, as I can’t fathom how anyone can’t understand the value of and impact that a crowd can make, even a few by the side of a Sunday league pitch.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
If I was the opposition captain and my team were hanging on at the end, I’d be saying to my team mates ‘Look around you boys, the fans have given up. They’re all leaving, they don’t think they can do it. Only five more minutes to go, we’ve got this”. I’d be saying the same to the home team- “You’ve f***ed it lads, your fans are deserting you, we’ve done you”.

Elite sport is about incredibly fine margins, and stuff like that genuinely can make a difference. People are free to leave when they want and make their own decisions, but this ‘it’s the same everywhere’ thing just isn’t true, it isn’t. And a raucous home support that always stayed the distance WOULD make the difference occasionally. But the two reasons it doesn’t happen are poor transport and the demographic of our support with the ‘I pay my money to be entertained and I’ll leave when I want’ attitude.
If you were the Fulham captain, you would have been too busy organising the tag team diving and injury faking rota during the last 15 minutes, to notice if any fans were leaving.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
There were 9 mins of injury time. Go and check the footage at 90mins. Maybe a third was an exaggeration, but I would think that between 5-8k were out the door at that stage.

I also accept that it’s not possible to distinguish between those who never turned up to begin with, which was a lot.

Regardless, I fundamentally disagree with your point about it not making a difference. Even when you discount the potential noise difference which you are disputing, it just doesn’t look great for the players who despite popular belief, are not robots, and psychologically it’s not going to give them that bit extra to push on.
The majority of footage is of the East stand.. By far the quietest stand in the ground.
The South east corner is always the last to sell out and is populated with amuch higher percentage of young families and day-trippers.
Some of the fans that leave will have been fans that would have urged them on, but the VAST majority are not.

We don't have 30,000 rabid fans who will sing and scream until they are hoarse.
The majority of the ones that make the noise are still there until the very end.

Honestly. I barely notice how many fans are leaving in the last 10 minutes of a tough game, because I'm too busy focussing on the game and doing everything I can to urge the team on. I strongly suspect the player's focus is even more so.

Where do you sit btw?
This may make a difference as I see very few leavers around me and my perception may be skewed

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Albion players blow a lead to continue their poor PL form, giving rise to irked control-freaks looking for scapegoats.

One week it’ll be the NS are not getting us over the line with loud enough singing, the next it’s people having the temerity of personal circumstances or not wanting to turn a 4 hour sortie into 5.

One thing’s for certain, no online kangaroo court will get folk to stay at the next game.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I also believe that fans leaving early en masse is one of the negative fan reactions which can affect on field performance of players on both sides. It's subtle and some players will be affected more than others. But I think the opposition is galvanised by the impression that the fans have given up. Conversely, I think the opposite is true. If everyone stays to the end and is roaring the home team pushing for a winner on, I reckon they get a proper boost and it's likely to make the opposition feel even more under pressure and who knows likely to make a tired brain frazzled decision or two

I know the transport situation is appalling, but I find the idea of leaving early unfathomable, especially for an afternoon game. Have they not noticed this concept of late goals?

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So all the people whinging about fans leaving early, what’s your solution? Locking everyone inside until the game’s over?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I also believe that fans leaving early en masse is one of the negative fan reactions which can affect on field performance of players on both sides. It's subtle and some players will be affected more than others. But I think the opposition is galvanised by the impression that the fans have given up. Conversely, I think the opposite is true. If everyone stays to the end and is roaring the home team pushing for a winner on, I reckon they get a proper boost and it's likely to make the opposition feel even more under pressure and who knows likely to make a tired brain frazzled decision or two

I know the transport situation is appalling, but I find the idea of leaving early unfathomable, especially for an afternoon game. Have they not noticed this concept of late goals?
I agree that I don't get why people would choose to leave on Sunday ( other than inescapable commitments) but some do.
I can see some people might leave out of frustration and the inevitably of how the game was going to peter out.

It's far better that those that stay, make positive contributions, than the less committed fans just stay to watch the result.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Do you genuinely think the players wouldn’t prefer a full stadium roaring them on for the last five minutes rather than getting up and leaving?
And the vast majority of those people want to stay for the last five minutes roaring on the players rather than getting up and leaving, but they can't because the public transport isn't fit for purpose.
Let's stop blaming people for acting with common sense rather than addressing the transport issue.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The Albion players blow a lead to continue their poor PL form, giving rise to irked control-freaks looking for scapegoats.

One week it’ll be the NS are not getting us over the line with loud enough singing, the next it’s people having the temerity of personal circumstances or not wanting to turn a 4 hour sortie into 5.

One thing’s for certain, no online kangaroo court will get folk to stay at the next game.
You missed out Goalkeeper not being good enough.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
And the vast majority of those people want to stay for the last five minutes roaring on the players rather than getting up and leaving, but they can't because the public transport isn't fit for purpose.
Let's stop blaming people for acting with common sense rather than addressing the transport issue.
They chose not to, you mean.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
So all the people whinging about fans leaving early, what’s your solution? Locking everyone inside until the game’s over?
Well obviously not.

Do you realise what time the committed fans would be getting home without the day-trippers leaving early!!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

They = me.

I need further details on late home winners correlating to no one leaving early.

I mostly enjoy trips to the Amex, I celebrate goals, but it’s not the be all to me, 4 hours out is my limit. Standing in a queue for an hour is a tedious hell imho.

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
A third of the stadium does not leave with 10 minutes to go.
Possibly a third of the family stand does.
About 3 people leave from around where I am in the North Stand.

The idea that this has any impact on the players is utter bullshit.
The remaining fans are generally making more noise at this point, than a full stadium did for the previous 80 minutes.

Precisely! If 3,000 away fans can make a noise to spur their team on, I think 28,500 - minus however many have left (definitely not 1/3) before the final whistle - can be loud enough to cheer on the lads. I really don't see Dunk etc looking up to the stands during the closing minutes to count how many are leaving early!

I'm lucky enough to be able to stay to the end because I travel with ST. But I understand the issue that others have and in the closing minutes I have to stand to let various people past. Not a problem ... it takes a few seconds and then I'm sat back down. I really don't understand the anger someone mentioned in one of the earlier posts having a go at a couple of people leaving almost as the final whistle was about to go!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here