Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Leaving before the full time whistle

HangletonGull

Apr 10, 2023
Well, to SLIGHTLY buck the trend. I used the EDF P&R today. Minced onto a bus at 12.45, got the the ground at 1.20.

I left about a minute before the end of ET, had a quick jimmy. Then a brisk walk to the P&R, no queue, literally STRAIGHT onto a bus. Back at Portslade EDF less than half an hour after the game ended. RIDICULOUS.

It took me an hour and 45 to get home on Thursday on the train + 700.

People who leave early have every right. God I wish that EDF was available for every game.
If you said you wish edf was available every home game on the way off the bus into the car park of edf I was right behind you

Stumpy Tim

My 12 year old and I left two minutes early, got the Mill Rd P&R and were home at 4.30pm. Six months ago I would have stayed for a couple of beers with mates, and he would have waited for player autographs. Now he can't do that, he would rather go home. So truth is, the Mill Road P&R isn't as good as it used to be without the bendy buses, and the club have removed any reason for my son to want to stay behind. Maybe the new BoxPark type thing will give reasons for people to stay behind a little for afternoon kick offs, but for evening kick offs the solution is more buses... otherwise we'll continue leaving early.

Don't get me started on Mill Rd P&R getting to the game. That's turned into a shambles

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
There are a few times when people genuinely need to duck out early for other commitments but generally it's people who don't really care enough. The bigger the game the less that leave early. I don't leave early and wouldn't regardless of weather or transport
Well bully for you.

I can assure you I "care enough" having followed this club since 1988. But when you get to the vinegar strokes post-86+, you've got a choice of making a dash and saving an hour, or holding back to see it till the end, or near-end, and getting totally spannered by SASTA, or missing the first P&R tranche and hanging around for them to circle back.

I guess you have nothing else going on in your life that might impinge though, and so don't mind rolling in several hours after the final whistle. Not ALL of us have that luxury though.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If you said you wish edf was available every home game on the way off the bus into the car park of edf I was right behind you
Quite possibly.
But I'm sure I won't have been the only one. Today was, quite probably, the quickest and slickest journey to and from the Amex I've ever experienced. The pre-match ride was so easy, and I have NEVER left so late from WSU and literally strolled straight onto a waiting bus.

I so, so wish it was always like that. What a contrast from Thursday (and don't even get me STARTED on post-match AEK).

pwlr1966

Aug 7, 2011
A guy sitting in west upper, Block I row G seat 227, 'he' was so unbelievably toxic to two Brighton fans trying to leave at 96 minutes "early", I have reported the idiot so called fan to the stewards, leave abuse, IF YOU HAVE TO, to the away end

Stumpy Tim

The whole transport network has gone to sh1t in the last year or so. Just takes forever getting to / from the Stadium on matchdays now especially Europa games.
My boy and I have started getting the train to the game, and Mill Rd P&R back (leaving 2 minutes before the end of injury time). Mill Rd isn't fit for purpose anymore... they need to double the amount of buses or get the bendy ones back.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Why does what other people do matter to others so much?

We've had this thread a million times. Not everyone can get home easily and football (surprisingly) isn't the most important thing in the world to everyone.

Maybe the club should start giving gold stamps upon exiting the ground to those who only leave after the full time whistle.

Collect 10 stamps and you get to post once on social media about how great you are compared to fans without stamps.
It matters because it potentially affects the players’ performance. It’s quite simple really. If 30,000 people all just got up and left with ten minutes to go then I can’t see how that inspires the players to fight to the bitter end in the pissing rain. Where as 30,000 roaring them on just might give them that extra 1% to get over the line.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Transport is getting WORSE and the club seems to be doing NOTHING about it.

In last few seasons, a Park n Ride was closed and never re-opened, a car park lost and PNR bus capacity reduced.

Shitshow all round really.
The club don't care while it isn't affecting the bottom line. Another 31,550 customers through the door again today

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
A guy sitting in west upper, Block I row G seat 227, 'he' was so unbelievably toxic to two Brighton fans trying to leave at 96 minutes "early", I have reported the idiot so called fan to the stewards, leave abuse, IF YOU HAVE TO, to the away end
I heard some shouting but couldn’t hear what was being shouted, the 2 leaving were in my row but further along, they looked really surprised at getting abused.
Seemed odd they got picked on as others left before them.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
It matters because it potentially affects the players’ performance. It’s quite simple really. If 30,000 people all just got up and left with ten minutes to go then I can’t see how that inspires the players to fight to the bitter end in the pissing rain. Where as 30,000 roaring them on just might give them that extra 1% to get over the
Edit: can’t be bothered

BHAryan

BHAryan
Feb 8, 2011
Worthing
Well bully for you.

I can assure you I "care enough" having followed this club since 1988. But when you get to the vinegar strokes post-86+, you've got a choice of making a dash and saving an hour, or holding back to see it till the end, or near-end, and getting totally spannered by SASTA, or missing the first P&R tranche and hanging around for them to circle back.

I guess you have nothing else going on in your life that might impinge though, and so don't mind rolling in several hours after the final whistle. Not ALL of us have that luxury though.
Not disputing that people need to genuinely get out early for whatever reason but its a topic that's remained since the Amex people leaving early.

I'd much rather be able to get away earlier and home in the warm but enjoy that final stage of pushing for a goal.

Think you've taken my comment personally which it wasn't intended. You can't tell me that everyone who regularly leaves early does it for that reason, there's a large portion IMO who just aren't that bothered

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
My 12 year old and I left two minutes early, got the Mill Rd P&R and were home at 4.30pm. Six months ago I would have stayed for a couple of beers with mates, and he would have waited for player autographs. Now he can't do that, he would rather go home. So truth is, the Mill Road P&R isn't as good as it used to be without the bendy buses, and the club have removed any reason for my son to want to stay behind. Maybe the new BoxPark type thing will give reasons for people to stay behind a little for afternoon kick offs, but for evening kick offs the solution is more buses... otherwise we'll continue leaving early.

Don't get me started on Mill Rd P&R getting to the game. That's turned into a shambles

For Ajax and Fulham 75 minutes before KO we’ve sailed onto empty buses, at the top of Mill Road.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Imho some blokes angry with the scoreline/likely non-win, look for scapegoats.

jordanseagull

Feb 11, 2009
They do. I used to live in North London and the evening games were tough. But I just wouldn’t go if I had to leave early as I wouldn’t want to miss a potential last minute winner, and I can’t see the point in watching 88 minutes of a football match when the best moment is often the final whistle going when you’ve won. I’d rather just watch it on TV.
I can assure you I had a great afternoon with mates and really enjoyed the game, despite leaving on 88. If you’d really prefer to watch on tv, fair play to you.

If it was in the balance, I’d have stayed and bit the bullet. But you play the situation in front of you.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Not disputing that people need to genuinely get out early for whatever reason but its a topic that's remained since the Amex people leaving early.

I'd much rather be able to get away earlier and home in the warm but enjoy that final stage of pushing for a goal.

Think you've taken my comment personally which it wasn't intended. You can't tell me that everyone who regularly leaves early does it for that reason, there's a large portion IMO who just aren't that bothered
Everyone will have their reasons, and everyone is perfectly within their rights to leave whenever they hell they like. Some fans are more "hardcore" than others, twas always the case and its a factor across every single football club in the land. Arsenal were 5-0 up yesterday, and you could see swathes of empty seats just before the end. I'd say the vast majority aren't leaving because they're "not bothered" - its just the reality when using public transport at the same time as 30k-50k other punters all heading for home at roughly the same time.

I didn't take your comments personally, but if I leave a couple of minutes early its not because I'm "not bothered". I would MUCH rather stay till the end and clap them off. But that entails writing off another chunk of the day/evening, when I've been out the house since about 12. When I was a young, single and free pisshead it wouldn't matter a jot. Now I'm an old soak with a doris and grandkids, its harder to justify (also, I now have far, FAR less patience / tolerance levels with which to put up with all of SASTA's shit).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here