Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

League 1 relegation battle 2009!

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Here is the run in for the teams around us. Which would you rather have and who is most likely to go down looking at the fixtures?

Brighton

(a) Wallsall
(a) Scunthorpe
(h) Tranmere
(a) MK Dons
(a) Hereford
(h) Swindon
(a) Colchester
(h) Oldham
(a) Bristol Rovers
(a) Huddersfield
(h) Stockport

Swindon

(h) Southend
(a) Hereford
(a) Northampton
(a) Yeovil
(h) Crewe
(a) Brighton
(h) L.Orient
(a) Carlisle
(h) Bristol Rovers
(a) Peterborough

Northampton

(h) Stockport
(h) Swindon
(a) Carlisle
(a) Yeovil
(a) Bristol Rovers
(h) Southend
(a) L.Orient
(h) Scunthorpe
(h) Hereford
(h) MK Dons
(a) Leeds

Yeovil

(h) MK Dons
(h) Swindon
(h) Northampton
(a) Stockport
(h) Millwall
(a) Cheltenham
(h) Hartlepool
(h) Hereford
(a) Tranmere
(h) Colchester

Last edited:

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
Swindons last 7 games could all be 6 pointers!!!

L.Orient (h)
Brighton (a)
Crewe (h)
Yeovil (a)
N’hampton (a)
Hereford (a)
Carlisle (a)

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I think ours is the hardest run in, Oldham,scunny,tranny,mk donuts,stockport,all up there and fighting to remain in the play off spots.

Brighton till i die

You havin' a bubble?
Jan 31, 2004
On the terraces!!
Swindons last 7 games could all be 6 pointers!!!

L.Orient (h)
Brighton (a)
Crewe (h)
Yeovil (a)
N’hampton (a)
Hereford (a)
Carlisle (a)

Thats the exact reason why i dont think we'll need 50+ points to stay up - there are so many 6 pointers between the bottom 7/8 clubs that not everyone will be picking up loads of points.

Granted it means that AT LEAST one team at the bottom will get points, but they cant all win!!!

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I've just done the BBC predictor and on this basis reckon that we will be safe, 1 place above the relegation zone with 49 points, 1 more than Yeovil and 3 more than Swindon. However, it's really anyone's guess and this outcome is based on our beating Swindon at Withdean. In reality, there will be some unexpected results which will seal our fate either way.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I reckon Cheltenham, Hereford and Yeovil are as good as gone so it comes down to us and the other two above. Unfortunately it does look like we have the more difficult run in.

Agreed on Cheltenham and Hereford but I wouldn't be so sure about Yeovil. They have Hartlepool, Swindon, Northampton and Hereford all at home so have a reasonable opportunity to turn it around. OK, they're in terrible form and look there for the taking, but definitely not a foregone conclusion.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Home games remaining:

Brighton - 4
Swindon - 4
Northampton - 6
Yeovil - 7

Home games are always crucial, and as someone pointed out Yeovil still have to play plenty of the teams around us at home.

Set of Tracksuits

Oct 27, 2003
Leicester
Well Yeovil have SEVEN home games and only three away, whereas we have seven away games and only four at home.

I know our home form ain't great but that still doesn't look too good to me.

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
we're great away and shit at home. have no fear!!!

Wouldn't say we are GREAT away from home. Our away record is just better than our home, which doesn't say a great deal!

gruntage

Jan 14, 2008
Bristol
i have us being safe at 14th by the end of the season using the BBC predictor, finishing with 57 points:

(a) Wallsall - Win
(a) Scunthorpe - Draw
(h) Tranmere - Win
(a) MK Dons - Lose
(a) Hereford - Win
(h) Swindon - Win
(a) Colchester - Draw
(h) Oldham - - Draw
(a) Bristol Rovers - Win
(a) Huddersfield - Draw
(h) Stockport - Win

i am confident we can get the results now we have a decent manager, strikers who are fit!, and the team seems to have confidence.

sammy

Aug 23, 2005
portslade
Bearing in mind that Stockport according to their site have to stump up just over £100.00k by thursday and as they have nil in the bank could have points deducted if they cannot get someone to help them out

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
Us & Swindon will be odds-on to go down. Yeovil's home games should keep them up. I think Northampton could struggle though - they have some tough games at home against 3 of the top teams. And what about Hartlepool - only 8 games left: Millwall (h); Southend (a); Hereford (h); Crewe (a); Scunthorpe (h); Yeovil (a); Leeds (h); Bris R (a). lots of games against teams at the top or bottom there so every one is a real battle. I wouldn't rule them out of it.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Wouldn't say we are GREAT away from home. Our away record is just better than our home, which doesn't say a great deal!

It's a whole new ball game for us now so i'm not going to worry about our past form, We've got a new manager, new players and players returning to fitness, A new game plan and new enthusiasm so it's a bit like a new mini season starting for us now. There's nothing to say Slade wont make any more additions to the squad yet and I get the feeling Slade is going to turn us into a team that proves very hard to beat.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'd include Crewe in potential trouble as well. Only 6 points ahead and still to play Leeds, MK Dons, Millwall, Oldham and Leicester - 5 of the current top 8.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here