Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Lawrenson and Ward

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Can’t believe the slight ‘dissing’ of Wardy by some!
He scored some great goals in the old 1st Division and literally had some of the division’s best defenders land on their collective arses.
Sadly, he was fu—-d about by the dreadful Clough man at Notts.Forest.
Entering Fantasy Land, imagine someone of Wardy’s sublime skills and talent being nurtured by, as Cilla would say, ‘our Graham.’

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Can’t believe the slight ‘dissing’ of Wardy by some!

A bloke who had four years at Brighton but who didn't win Player of the Season once. He was a brilliant 3rd division striker, a good 2nd division one but didn't really crack the top division.

Lawro on the other hand remains the best player I've seen at the club. Vicente had his moments but Lawro did it week in, week out, for a few seasons.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A bloke who had four years at Brighton but who didn't win Player of the Season once. He was a brilliant 3rd division striker, a good 2nd division one but didn't really crack the top division.

Lawro on the other hand remains the best player I've seen at the club. Vicente had his moments but Lawro did it week in, week out, for a few seasons.

In 33 games at Forest (a top club at the time) he scored 7 goals over three years :shrug:

He is 100% not the best ever Albion striker at this level

Andy Ritchie scored 26 in122 games over the same period for a lower league Albion

Michael Robinson scored 37 in 113 games

Lincolnshire Seagull

Jul 9, 2009

This is, sadly, correct. Wardy was brilliant but at a lower level. Lawro would walk into our best ever XI.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
Lawro and Dunk in a back 4 is our best ever CB pairing, but imagine Lawro in a 3 with the freedom to carry the ball forward, albeit he used to do that anyway. He would be devastating.

Dave the hatosaurus

Aug 22, 2021
worthing

Wardy did score some great goals though .
I remember being in the south stand at the Goldstone when he received the ball out on the right wing . Cutting inside and beating at least two players before putting the ball in the top corner , absolute scenes !
Or was it all a dream as i cannot even remember who it was against ? Please can someone help confirm !

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
I remember being in the south stand at the Goldstone when he received the ball out on the right wing . Cutting inside and beating at least two players before putting the ball in the top corner , absolute scenes !
Or was it all a dream as i cannot even remember who it was against ? Please can someone help confirm !

Was it palarse ?

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Where it went wrong with Ward was Forest signed him to play with Birtles which would have been great. Trouble is they soon sold him to Utd and he played with a short player (ginger and forgot his name ) which would never work

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
They are not any more though are they?

Lawrenson - yes

Ward - no, because he was clearly a Division 2 striker. He didn't set the world alight after his "big club" move to Forest.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
York City September 76

thedonkeycentrehalf

Moved back to wear the gloves (again)
Jul 7, 2003
Where it went wrong with Ward was Forest signed him to play with Birtles which would have been great. Trouble is they soon sold him to Utd and he played with a short player (ginger and forgot his name ) which would never work

I was always under the impression his move was part of the three way player 'deal' where Birtles went to Old Trafford, Ritchie came to us and Ward went to Forest. Don't think he was ever expected to play with Birtles.

Of that deal, I think we got the best of it as Ritchie was a good player for us whereas Birtles had his famous goal drought (leading to Terry Waite jokes for those old enough to remember) and Wardy never really did much at Forest before a brief cameo return to us.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I was always under the impression his move was part of the three way player 'deal' where Birtles went to Old Trafford, Ritchie came to us and Ward went to Forest. Don't think he was ever expected to play with Birtles.

Of that deal, I think we got the best of it as Ritchie was a good player for us whereas Birtles had his famous goal drought (leading to Terry Waite jokes for those old enough to remember) and Wardy never really did much at Forest before a brief cameo return to us.
Correct. All three transfers happened on the same day. (Or certainly close enough to the same day).

And, with respect to our esteemed colleague BLOCK F (who I know always sticks up for Wardie), I do agree with the consensus that Lawrenson is still one of the best-ever Albion players, and Wardie, legend though he is, isn't quite in the top category. Not since the PL era anyway, and Gwylan's post (#25) sums it up well. It was still an utter privilege to have seen him play though. That promotion season from Division 3! Wow!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here